Author Topic: Tire Vibration  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Switz

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Tire Vibration
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »
This is not the usual vibration issue. This vibration comes and goes, regular like. I just rotated my tires and the backs are now on the front with a side-to-side switch. The fronts went straight back. Now, at highways speeds, a vibration starts, reaching a peak, and then disappears, only to come back again, over and over. I feel it in my butt and the steering wheel shakes. Now how can this make sense?  I've had it happen on various vehicles over the years every now and then and I'm just wondering why it happens?  Surely I'm not the only person this has ever happened to. Shouldn't the vibration just be constant if a tire is out of balance?  All I know for sure is that it's the front tires. Explanations?

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
Re: Tire Vibration
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:08:57 pm »
When I had that happen I put the tires back where they were and the problem went away.  I can't tell you why but I suspect that it is possible for a tire to wear to a location, that it is alright until moved.  Does that make sense? 

I would inspect these tires carefully.  Look especially for the ends of broken steel belts protruding through the surface or a tread that jogs where it shouldn't, maybe a gash in a sidewall.  A tire that looks deformed probably is deformed and can be dangerous. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:18:41 am »
   Yeah try reversing the procedure to see if it goes away. If it does not I suspect it could be a tri-pod inboard joint on FWD cars. When you jack up your car to change tires...you extend this joint, which might move the grease around inside the rubber boot or  something such...maybe move the bearing surface a bit. The result of un-wanted extra clearance in that joint will cause vibration or shaking in a speed range of maybe 30 to 60 kph. It will go away at 60 or so. Also maybe jacking boot extension might have cracked the boot rubber and let the grease out.

I had this on a car and the dealer changed the drive shafts; which included the tripod joints, to solve the problem. I believe that the grease had been lost in one boot which might have worn the roller bearing surfaces.

This kind of problem has been on here before.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:24:02 am by Rupert »

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:43:27 am »
Many years ago, I was asked to explore why some of the tires my company was supplying caused a rhythmic vibration - much like the OP's.   The best explanation that we came up with was that the tires were ever so slightly different in diameter, and the vibration in each tire had would go in and out of phase.   

Normally the vibrations in the tires is small enough that the vehicle damps them out - or they are large enough to be there constantly.  But every so often there will be a pair of tires that are right at the line between good and bad, and they will cause this odd rhythmic vibration. 

Another thing to consider is that the driver senses vibrations mostly from the RF tire - the one closest to him.  Vibrations from rear tires aren't as easy for the driver to sense.  It's not that the tires don't vibrate as much as it is the distance from the source of the vibration. 
CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 10:12:06 am »
   All tires are slightly different in diameter. Fail to see what difference it makes in the overall scheme of things. When did anyone worry about slight diameter differences. You just put the deepest tread on the front.
   I suppose that the tires are not directional. Crossing these tires over will mean they are rotating the wrong way.
   You can google tripod joints and read about the vibrations caused by them when worn. Sounds just like the description here.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 11:12:06 am »
I just rotated my tires and the backs are now on the front with a side-to-side switch.

Rotating any tire to run the opposite way of what it was previously is looking for trouble.  I'd do as suggested and put them back where they were.  Failing that, Hunter Road Force balancing might be in your future. 

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »
Our Mazda has been developing a vibration in the steering wheel at 102 kph up to 118 kph.  I took it in to Canadian Tire and they found that several sticky weights had been lost from the wheels.  After re-balancing the car runs like new.   What surprised me (although it shouldn't have) is there is less road noise. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 12:00:44 pm »
Our Mazda has been developing a vibration in the steering wheel at 102 kph up to 118 kph.  I took it in to Canadian Tire and they found that several sticky weights had been lost from the wheels.  After re-balancing the car runs like new.   What surprised me (although it shouldn't have) is there is less road noise.

Did they re-apply the weights? How did they know how much weight to put on?  Mine are missing those weights and I am experiencing the same vibrations. Also, what did they charge for your job? Thanks.

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 10:19:14 pm »
Did they re-apply the weights? How did they know how much weight to put on?  Mine are missing those weights and I am experiencing the same vibrations. Also, what did they charge for your job? Thanks.

They put each tire into a machine that spins it and a computer indicates where to put the weights.  On a traditional steel wheel the weights come with a spring clip and the technician hammers it into place.  On the new alloy wheels that doesn't work so the weights have to be stuck on with adhesive.  Doing it properly means cleaning the rim with solvent. 

Apparently, winter salt on roads can loosen the weights. 

The cost for me was about $65 Canadian dollars.

Two things to make sure: get an accurate diagnosis.  There are other things that cause vibration.  The usual cause is tires out of balance.  Also, balancing a tire/wheel combo requires an expensive machine in good nick.  Don't ask your favorite backyard mechanic to do this with a carpenter's level.