Author Topic: My turn for a car choice - $16K all in - USED  (Read 17249 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: My turn for a car choice - $16K all in - USED
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2015, 04:46:41 pm »
Man Alive, how did people ever shop for used cars before the advent of the internet? 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »
The paper copy of the autotrader, the Classifieds, and going to bigger used car dealerships in town.  Gives you a good selection.  And there was more selection back then...

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2015, 04:51:10 pm »
Man Alive, how did people ever shop for used cars before the advent of the internet?

Actually going around to different dealers and getting that thick auto trader.......which I still like to buy every now and then.......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2015, 04:58:27 pm »
The paper copy of the autotrader, the Classifieds, and going to bigger used car dealerships in town.  Gives you a good selection.  And there was more selection back then...

Riiiight.  I forgot there used to be a magazine version of autotrader.  I used to pick it up back in the day as a teenager and just look at cars I'd dream of owning one day (back in those days it was Chevy S10 pickups and Pontiac Grand Am's).

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »
How about this:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Patriot/Winnipeg/Manitoba/5_22549730_20049884220706/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_17

Now, I KNOW a lot of you will go: 'EEEW, a Chrysler Vehicle', and yeah, for the most part you're right.  BUT, from everything I hear the Patriot is actually a really solid vehicle with very few reliability issues (mostly because there isn't much to go wrong, I suppose).

Anyway, I'd like TooScoops opinion on this.  Seems maybe a little expensive for what it is.  What do you think?

I Checked canadianblackbook.com and the average asking for this year of vehicle with this kind of mileage is $11-12K.  I probably wouldn't touch it unless the asking came down to that range.
I see these sh!tcans everyday. Absolute junk. Engines are good. Hate the CVT, but that can be a personal opinion. Weak control arm bushings, weak ball joints, weak tie rods, weak rear struts, weak lateral links in the rear. Rear toe links that seize. Cabin rattles that will drive you batsh!t crazy.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2015, 05:23:13 pm »
How about this:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Patriot/Winnipeg/Manitoba/5_22549730_20049884220706/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_17

Now, I KNOW a lot of you will go: 'EEEW, a Chrysler Vehicle', and yeah, for the most part you're right.  BUT, from everything I hear the Patriot is actually a really solid vehicle with very few reliability issues (mostly because there isn't much to go wrong, I suppose).

Anyway, I'd like TooScoops opinion on this.  Seems maybe a little expensive for what it is.  What do you think?

I Checked canadianblackbook.com and the average asking for this year of vehicle with this kind of mileage is $11-12K.  I probably wouldn't touch it unless the asking came down to that range.
I see these sh!tcans everyday. Absolute junk. Engines are good. Hate the CVT, but that can be a personal opinion. Weak control arm bushings, weak ball joints, weak tie rods, weak rear struts, weak lateral links in the rear. Rear toe links that seize. Cabin rattles that will drive you batsh!t crazy.

So otherwise a good buy  :rofl2:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »
How about this:

No aftermarket parts available to address those issues?

I drove a Patriot for a few weeks as a company vehicle and kind of liked it. Don't remember any rattles, just an unpretentious little ute that got the job done without fuss. I even didn't mind the CVT, but would likely go with the manual (and huge bonus points for offering a manual with AWD!) Afterwards, I even priced one out for myself on the net.  :-[

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2015, 10:34:09 pm »
How about this:

No aftermarket parts available to address those issues?

I drove a Patriot for a few weeks as a company vehicle and kind of liked it. Don't remember any rattles, just an unpretentious little ute that got the job done without fuss. I even didn't mind the CVT, but would likely go with the manual (and huge bonus points for offering a manual with AWD!) Afterwards, I even priced one out for myself on the net.  :-[
I've seen them come in with aftermarket parts that have failed as well. Also, there are no aftermarket support or OE support for the CVT. Have a problem and you are looking for a new or used complete unit.  I have regularly given $7G estimates to our UCD for these units with only 70K kms. I will admit, with a stick and AWD, they are kind of fun in the winter, but not fun enough to purchase.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2015, 09:07:17 am »
I found an even better Mazda than the first one I found:

http://automaxcanada.ca/inventory/2012/Mazda/Mazda3/MB/Winnipeg/JM1BL1L75C1617486/

This one is almost the identical car, but it has no sunroof.  Has 15000 LESS kilometers, and is $1500 LESS than the original Mazda3 that I posted.  It's a Skyactiv, too, which is the one I want.
Not that it should be a detractor, and I cannot see the Dashboard to confirm MPH vs KM/H, but iTouring is the name of the US-trim for the Mazda3. That car could be an import, and hence the "low" price.

...or it could have hiden issues.

A great find, potentially - but make your inquiries.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2015, 11:06:07 am »
^^ That speedo picture is km/h.   Not a chance that a Mazda 3 would have a 260 Mph speedo!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2015, 11:47:53 am »
patriot.... well... i own one. are they great cars? nope. has it ever failed me? nope... i just did control arms(119km), brakes i did at 102km.... i almost wished it failed more often so i could justify getting rid of it... but it has actually been great. decent sight lines, acceptable power, great use of space, easy to put my kids seats in, decent economy, don't even hate the looks...

i have a 2015 4x4 "altitude" package in my showroom right now for 21499... they are an "interesting" package... look good (black 17" alloys and such), 4x4, auto(6-speed, not cvt!) and a/c.... but... they have crank windows and manual locks! 0% financing for short terms, available dogs-age terms at higher %... you can have that one for 291/month taxes and everything in if you go crazy long term (8 years).

worth it?... i guess if you really don't care about power features...

but they are not great cars... pretty lackluster fit and finish, not the best nvh qualities... but for the money, they really aren't that bad. as mentioned above, expect front ends to be done prior to 100,000km, but aside that, nothing beyond the usual i've found.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
My turn for a car choice - $16K all in - USED
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2015, 01:20:52 pm »
If I owned a car that had to have front end or suspension work done at 100K I'd be feeling ripped off.

I had to put front struts I the Forester at 180K and accepted that as it had been worked over pretty well on forestry roads. The Corolla is at 150K and feels as tight as the day we bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2015, 08:02:32 am »
Thank you all for your input.  This was fun.

Unfortunately the company decided to hire somebody else.  I'm really not that disappointed seeing as I really don't hate my current job, and it's only 5 minutes away from where I live.  I don't get to buy a car though, which is sad :(

Offline TheFordGuy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
  • Even though we already got one.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Lincoln MKX, F150
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2015, 06:42:13 pm »
So, life may be taking an unexpected turn. 

I'm interviewing for a position at a company that offers more money than I currently make.  The caveat is this:  I currently live a 5-minute bike commute from my current place of employment.  Therefore, as some of you know, we are a one car family.  If this position is offered and I accept, it will be a 1-hour commute (10 minutes city, 30 minutes country highway) to and from work.  Therefore I will need to buy a car for me to use.

Here are my requirements:
-- My Budget is $16000 all-in.  This includes taxes for you folks. Considering Manitoba tax rates, that's about $14000 pre-tax.  I will not have a trade-in.  This is the most money I can afford to finance based on the potential salary increase.

-- I would like a car.  No pickup trucks or CUV's please.  Whether it is a sedan, wagon or hatch doesn't matter at this point, although I AM partial to sedans. 

-- 4 cylinder.  A V6 would be nice, but considering it will be a 64km commute, fuel efficiency is important.  It WILL be mostly highway though.

-- Manual is definitely a plus.  When we bought the Altima my wife made me get an automatic, so I'd like to 'stick' it to her and get a manual.  Just kidding, but really, having a manual would be nice. 

--AWD is not a requirement, but would be okay.  I'll plan on putting winter tires on, and honestly have never had a problem with the FWD cars I've ever had.

-- Room for the family.  Be able to fit my wife and two kids in it.  'nuff said.

Anyway, I would consider midsize sedans of a few years old.  A 4-year old 4-cyl Accord with a manual is a front runner.

BTW, I know I"ve been talking a LOT lately about a TL.  TRUST me, If I could afford one, I'd get one.  Unfortunately they're anywhere from $20k - $28K for one equipped how I'd like.  While I could MAYBE swing one, it would be completely irresponsible of me.  I need to look cheaper this time, then when the Altima is more paid off, I can look towards getting a really nice car like a TL.

The Accord is a reliable car and would definitely fit your required needs. It is satisfactory on gas, and Honda's are usually pretty solid in terms of maintenance. Considering the tight pocket, and need for a reliable workhorse the Accord fits the bill, allowing you to save for the new car while using the Accord.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2015, 12:52:33 am »
 :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline TheFordGuy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
  • Even though we already got one.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Lincoln MKX, F150
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2015, 12:55:26 am »
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Feel like a total goof ! Have to get used to reading the post dates. Apologies!