Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Most Efficient Highway Cars  (Read 10741 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Northern Exposure: Most Efficient Highway Cars
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:26:23 am »

Justin puts a lot of highway miles driving Sudbury to GTA and back once a week, and these are the most efficient highway cruisers he has driven.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Exposure: Most Efficient Highway Cars
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:38 am »
Certainly not the guy you want doing a test to simulate the mileage a typical fuel efficient car buyer would get but, as he says, consistency is very important.

I'm also glad the author calculated mileage manually rather than trusting the computers.  I don't have any faith in these either.   I'd like to know though how he reliably filled the Prius gas tank as they have an air bladder which makes filling to the top tricky and probably messy.

Goo article!

Cheers,
John M.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:17:54 am »
7.2 for a pint size Scion? It's a disaster! Well, good enough to take it as a donor for Aston Martin Cygnet.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:19 am »
Or you can just go here http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/cars-light-trucks/buying/most-efficient-vehicles/17257

Are these real world figures?  Aren't these the ones that are much worse than the EPA?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:04 am »

Justin puts a lot of highway miles driving Sudbury to GTA and back once a week, and these are the most efficient highway cruisers he has driven.

Read More...

Nice information.  Never hurts to have multiple sources, different routes, different drivers to get an idea of the real world fuel mileage.  Which is why I find www.fuelly.com helpful.  If this can be done next year that would be good too, with the the Mazda6 diesel added, and the Cruze diesel.  Wonder how close it will be to the Cruze Eco?  Begs the question why bother with the diesel?  I know the diesel is a different drive, my HP, more torque, but if your only after the fuel savings, the Cruze diesel may not deliver enough of a differance.

I did a calculation as a I was interested in the fuel economy I got with some new Continental DWS I put on my 2010 Mazda5 GT.  I achieved 7.7l/100km from Burlington to Fort Erie with 110km/h set on the cruise (I verified by the pump, not the computer).  On the way home from Fort Erie to Burlington, with 120km/h set on the cruise (late for a meeting) and going against the wind, I only achieved 8.3L/100km.  Found it interesting how much that changed by the 10km/h differance and some wind...

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:16 am »
My 540i on recent Calgary-Vernon-Calgary road trip (~1200km) and liberally using the go pedal for passing etc: 8.3L/100km.

Not too bad comparing with the results in this article, especially the Scion - what a fiasco...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:13:07 am by ipolski »

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:16 am »
  I achieved 7.7l/100km from Burlington to Fort Erie with 110km/h set on the cruise (I verified by the pump, not the computer).  On the way home from Fort Erie to Burlington, with 120km/h set on the cruise (late for a meeting) and going against the wind, I only achieved 8.3L/100km.  Found it interesting how much that changed by the 10km/h differance and some wind...

Interesting indeed, I think it has to do with the engine size and aerodynamics.
I find little difference in fuel consumption on the highway (less than 0.5l/100) when driving 100km/h or 140km/h (in Utah/Nevada with its 85MPH speed limits) in the 540. However it is much larger (around 1.5l/100) in the Passat with its smaller engine.

Offline dboz

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 03 Matrix XR, 09 Matrix XR
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:07:35 am »
Those numbers kinda sucks, TDI gets only 6.9L/100km  ???

I usually average around 7.5L/100km between Thunder Bay and Waterloo with my 10 yr old, grossly overloaded matrix, and I don't hypermill either.

I guess the FE has not really improved over the past decade, it's just marketing.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:22:01 am »
The IQ is not meant to be a highway cruiser.  It is as wide and tall as most compacts so it pushes as much air.   Given it's short stubby profile I'd have to guess its drag coefficient is fairly dismal.

Definitely a nice tool for urban use where its light weight, incredible turning circle and short length will pay off in spades.

Highway, not so much.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 11:13:05 am »
So the IQ gets the same mileage as a real car, costs as much a real car, doesnt have enough power to keep up with traffic....remind me again the point of this POS golf cart??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 12:09:45 pm »
So the IQ gets the same mileage as a real car, costs as much a real car, doesnt have enough power to keep up with traffic....remind me again the point of this POS golf cart??

Because you can say you own an almost Aston Martin?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:45 pm »

Because you can say you own an almost Aston Martin?

Dont they come free with the purchase of a Vantage??  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »
Great article, Justin!

Glad to hear that the Cruze Eco actually lives up to its name.  I never really understood why one would pay the premium for the model, considering its suggested EPA was a marginal boost - but maybe real world driving is better.  Good on ya for giving an example of it.

I do the ~800km trip from Windsor to Toronto each weekend and get different rentals.  I've never tried any of the cars you've listed, but with cruise set to 120km/h, the best I've ever had was the Fiesta - always delivers between 5.3 and 5.7L/100km.  Best I've ever gotten was when I wasn't in a hurry once, set the cruise to 105km/h and got 4.9L/100km.  Unreal.  I'm sure other cars do well too, I just haven't driven every one.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 12:52:01 pm »
Those numbers kinda sucks, TDI gets only 6.9L/100km  ???

I usually average around 7.5L/100km between Thunder Bay and Waterloo with my 10 yr old, grossly overloaded matrix, and I don't hypermill either.

I guess the FE has not really improved over the past decade, it's just marketing.

For North American diesels, that is true - increased emissions regulations choke the exhaust so they aren't as efficient as the dirty smokers you could get 10 years ago... however, on the combustion end with turbocharging, higher compression, direct injection and other tech, they are more efficient, which they need to be in order to not increase fuel consumption too much and lose the marketing campaign points...

And there's really no point comparing any of your consumption numbers in different cars to Justin's numbers in these cars - Driving style can have a huge effect on consumption, and Justin is showing some worst-case scenario numbers for real-world driving, but on a level playing field against other cars he's driven, these have done the best. 

Curiously, I got the same 6.9 L/100 km over the course of three months in a Golf Wagon TDI in mostly city driving, so that tells me Justin is a really aggressive driver, not that the TDI is inefficient...

I'm also surprised the iQ made his list - I have been quite disappointed in the iQ's consumption in the times we've had it, but the smaller, 2-seat smart isn't much better, so there is that... 
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 01:12:40 pm »
Found it interesting how much that changed by the 10km/h differance and some wind...

Yup I echo that. When I used to travel from Toronto to Ottawa and back again the westbound trip usually had worse fuel economy despite cruise control set at the same speed and congestion leaving Toronto. I concluded it must be the head winds.

Same with comparing drives between a 400 series highway and the parallel regional roads between the same source and destinations: the former doing 20 km/h more than the latter and even with the occasional stop sign (and hence some acceleration points, a fuel killer) using regional roads or to the point, driving at a slower speed, provided better fuel economy. I think in the order of 2.0L/100km better.

In terms of the article, where all the posted consumption ratings for winter for all of the cars?

I'm surprised at how relatively good the hybrids were to the diesel (didn't a recent past VW hybrid review on Autos.ca post worse economy than the VW diesel by the same author?) and especially surpised at the Eco Cruze.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 01:20:02 pm »
Speed costs
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:37 pm »
Or you can just go here http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/cars-light-trucks/buying/most-efficient-vehicles/17257

Are these real world figures?  Aren't these the ones that are much worse than the EPA?

Yes, but they are relative to each other if not real world.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:19:50 pm »
I wouldn't say i'm an agressive driver-- but I do go about 125 or 130 km/h on the 400 and 401 in the 100 zone (spare me the scolding, please).

Which wastes a good bit of fuel, but a lot less of my time, which is important when you're driving for 10 hours in a single day...

again-- these figures I reported are worst-case scenario, but consistent.

Jetta TDI, Cruze, Bluedrive were on summer tires in spring or summer or fall, ie, temperatures above zero.

Skyactiv 3 and Iq were on winter rubber in early spring / temperatures below zero.

j

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 03:28:44 pm »
Scion for its size is a pig on gas.
Bombastic