Author Topic: Attending Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School  (Read 10612 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Attending Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 09:37:26 pm »
AWESOME!

I've been involved in all kinds of motorsport and when I took up bracket racing I didn't really expect to enjoy it as much as I did.  I'd watched top fuel and funny car races most of my life and found it incredibly exciting but figured running anything slower myself would be boring.  NO!  It was a lot of fun.

Now you're an addict, right?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 10:00:34 pm »
Congratulations Wink!  :thumbup:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 11:39:33 pm »
Your post made for such a delightful read, a dream accomplished! But now you will have the "bug" even more! Nice consistency in those times by the way.

You will probably need this link to find storage space for your upcoming race car, so you can bring it out on your frequent southern trips!!

https://www.sparefoot.com/Tucson-AZ-self-storage/car-storage.html

Thanks for the compliment on my post. 

I should have looked for storage while I was there!

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 11:40:29 pm »
Great read buddy!! So now that you've dipped your toe in, when can expect to see the build of your own drag car?? ;D

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Money is an issue, unfortunately.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 11:42:08 pm »
AWESOME!

I've been involved in all kinds of motorsport and when I took up bracket racing I didn't really expect to enjoy it as much as I did.  I'd watched top fuel and funny car races most of my life and found it incredibly exciting but figured running anything slower myself would be boring.  NO!  It was a lot of fun.

Now you're an addict, right?

You're right, drag racing is a lot of fun.

I've been an addict for 45 years.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 11:43:15 pm »

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 12:02:59 am »
Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I've never been really drawn to drag racing but whenever I get around it, I find it really fascinating. Cool stuff!  :thumbup:
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 12:11:53 am »
Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I've never been really drawn to drag racing but whenever I get around it, I find it really fascinating. Cool stuff!  :thumbup:

My cousin campaigned an alcohol funny car for some time and while I'm sure the driving was cool and interesting, so much of the winning and losing took place in the pits.  It's an extremely complex sport from a mechanical standpoint.  I never tired of watching them build and set up the car.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 12:15:34 am »

My cousin campaigned an alcohol funny car for some time and while I'm sure the driving was cool and interesting, so much of the winning and losing took place in the pits.  It's an extremely complex sport from a mechanical standpoint.  I never tired of watching them build and set up the car.

Yeah, for most gearheads an engine rebuild is a big deal and doesn't happen very often. These top fuel guys are melting spark plugs and welding clutch plates on every run!

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »

Yeah, for most gearheads an engine rebuild is a big deal and doesn't happen very often. These top fuel guys are melting spark plugs and welding clutch plates on every run!

Thats the part I find crazy, a top end rebuild takes less time than an oil change....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 04:46:06 pm »
Very cool, congrats on diving into something you've always wanted to do!

I know it may not be as thrilling as driving one of those dragsters, but why not get yourself a low-budget muscle car and hit up your local track more often? I bet for under $3-4K I could get/build something that would at the very least be fun, safe and not totally embarrassing going down the track. It doesn't need to be all that fast to be fun.
Back in the day my buddy had an 84 Z28 with all the typical bolt-ons, it was a rough car and looked like a POS but he used to take it to our local drag strip every other weekend and run the crap out of it. Loads of fun without breaking the bank.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 04:51:52 pm »
Very cool, congrats on diving into something you've always wanted to do!

I know it may not be as thrilling as driving one of those dragsters, but why not get yourself a low-budget muscle car and hit up your local track more often? I bet for under $3-4K I could get/build something that would at the very least be fun, safe and not totally embarrassing going down the track. It doesn't need to be all that fast to be fun.
Back in the day my buddy had an 84 Z28 with all the typical bolt-ons, it was a rough car and looked like a POS but he used to take it to our local drag strip every other weekend and run the crap out of it. Loads of fun without breaking the bank.

Was thinking the same thing about a foxbody Mustang or T-bird, V8, RWD, 5L V8....fun cheap way to get down the track.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 06:13:06 pm »
foxbody Mustang

Great platform if you can get a decent chassis now - they're still out there thankfully.  The notchback cars are a bit lighter.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 06:21:09 pm »
Very cool. Always neat to see a dream come true.  8)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 09:54:57 pm »
foxbody Mustang

Great platform if you can get a decent chassis now - they're still out there thankfully.  The notchback cars are a bit lighter.

Wink is a Mopar guy though. That LTD from the other thread is probably more his style :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:11 pm »
foxbody Mustang

Wink is a Mopar guy though. That LTD from the other thread is probably more his style :)

Someone's been paying attention.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 12:59:15 pm »
I'm quite proud of my motorsports photography.  Can you tell?   ;D

Brainerd International Raceway, 1984. The first NHRA national event I attended with press credentials. In the near lane, the guy who would teach me how to drive a dragster thirty-one years later, Frank Hawley.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 08:46:59 am »
One year ago, today, was the best day of my life. That's when I attended the Frank Hawley Drag Racing School to drive a dragster. 10.55 sec @ 126 mph.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:39 pm »
One year ago, today, was the best day of my life. That's when I attended the Frank Hawley Drag Racing School to drive a dragster. 10.55 sec @ 126 mph.

Good for you for  achieving that dream. :cheers: When you go back down there, do you plan to drive, or should I say drag again?

Any thoughts of getting a go pro helmet cam? I suggested in an earlier post in this thread and would love to see a drag race from the drivers perspective.

Yes, next time I attend the school, I'll be trying to get a competition license, which will mean runs in the 8.5 second range at 155 mph.

The roll cage on the school's dragsters have an attachment that permits go pro use.