Author Topic: Northern Exposure: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Highway Drive  (Read 12067 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Volkswagen's new Jetta Turbo Hybrid virtually ties TDI model in real-life mileage on Justin's watch.

Read More...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Northern Exposure: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Highway Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:16:15 am »
 :nono:  You mean spatzle, not lasagna.  The Germans would never allow the Italians to make their brakes.  ;D

Great review, Justin.  How does the interior compare to the basic Jetta that we drove last year? 

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:50 am »
Two different cars for two different drivers.  If you spend the majority of your time in heavy city traffic the hybrid is an easy choice.  On the hwy the TDi would be my choice.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:11:25 pm »
Two different cars for two different drivers.  If you spend the majority of your time in heavy city traffic the hybrid is an easy choice.  On the hwy the TDi would be my choice.

The issue with that, most car buyers (especially compacts and midsize), don't ask themselves what is the percentage of my drive in the city vs the highway?  Now if you drive 25-40km each way to work on the QEW, is the TDI or hybrid for you?  One day the QEW is ok (never great), the next day it's at standstill.  The TDI will give the closest real world numbers to the EPA numbers, and the hybrid won't, especially in the winter!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
Thats what baffles me about this car.....whats the point of it?? The TDi is already a fuel miser....is this one that much better?? Is the extra electronics worth it in a car whose biggest problems have traditionally been electronics??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »
Thats what baffles me about this car.....whats the point of it?? The TDi is already a fuel miser....is this one that much better?? Is the extra electronics worth it in a car whose biggest problems have traditionally been electronics??

It's VW way of saying, we have hybrid too, we will be #1

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:03:19 pm »

It's VW way of saying, we have hybrid too, we will be #1

I guess, they had to throw their hat into the hybrid ring just to make the populace happy and feel better.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:09:38 pm »
Diesels are still a tough sell in the US. They're pretty receptive to hybrids and VW is after market share, so hybrids it is.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 01:22:00 pm »
I think it is just an excuse on the part of the VW engineers to persuade management to let them certify the 1.4 TFSI for NA. Once that is done which it is now it is easier to bring in the Polo.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:21 pm »
:nono:  You mean spatzle, not lasagna.  The Germans would never allow the Italians to make their brakes.  ;D

Great review, Justin.  How does the interior compare to the basic Jetta that we drove last year?

Ya Italians making brakes for Germans, ya that would never happen.  :flowers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brembo  "In the 1980s, Brembo began supplying BMW, Chrysler, Lancia, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, and Porsche with brakes

Headquarters    Curno, Bergamo, Italy
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:24:09 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 03:07:54 pm »
 :rofl:  Forgot about Brembo!  I stand corrected.  Lasagna it is. 

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:52 pm »
:rofl:  Forgot about Brembo!  I stand corrected.  Lasagna it is.

That's all right !!!

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 06:04:36 pm »
Finally, someone reviewing a hybrid "gets" how hybrids provide benefits.  I think this is the first article about hybrids I've seen that mentions several points, such as how they store energy going downhill for later use.

Odd that VW can't sort out the lumpy braking issue as Ford had that resolved for the 2009 Escape Hybrid.

Does this VW hybrid have any drive belts?  Is the A/C electric?  What system does it use to heat/cool the hybrid battery? 

Mileage comparisons are complicated by the varying energy densities of diesel vs gas.

Perhaps when hybrids become more common we can look forward to specifications such as the usable capacity of the traction battery, so we can compare the potential benefits of their hybrid systems.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:40 pm »
I'm just waiting for the LiO batteries to finally be commercialized...10% reduction in size or 10x the capacity for the same size.  My biggest problem with many hybrid cars (SUVs tend not to have the same issue) is the 'permanent residence' of the battery in the trunk.

Even if the hybrid drank a full litre of fuel less per year, I would consistently take the TDI because I'd still get a full trunk.

Still, the Jetta Hybrid still allows the rear seat to fold, so +1 to VW for giving something back to the cargo capacity.  And really...it's not like the trunk is minuscule - still, struts for the trunk hinges would open up the space even more.

I like that VW is trying to make a hybrid that is as little compromise as possible - not the weakest of the bunch, gets great fuel economy, and still has a mostly usable trunk.

http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/2/s/2/ag_13jettahyb_trunk.jpg

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:50 pm »
How about dropping the 1.6 diesel in this hybrid.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 09:31:20 pm »

Not likely...here's why:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-tips/think-you-want-a-diesel-hybrid-you-dont/article10619359/

That's not to say diesel hybrids shouldn't exist...it's to say that they are not likely to be widespread based on cost and weight disadvantages.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »
Wouldn't a hybrid shine in stop and go traffic. You brake, recharge the battery. Idle, gas engine is off. Accelerate, electric motor propels you. The TDI would be idling that entire time and you wouldn't be able to recapture that energy while braking.

Five different engines for five different types of drivers. What's wrong with that?

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:33 am »
Wouldn't a hybrid shine in stop and go traffic. You brake, recharge the battery. Idle, gas engine is off. Accelerate, electric motor propels you. The TDI would be idling that entire time and you wouldn't be able to recapture that energy while braking.

Five different engines for five different types of drivers. What's wrong with that?

Yes, exactly.  And the same effect benefits hybrids on hilly roads, as the article's author perceptively pointed out.  I think "city" mileage is based on some set of parameters that doesn't include stop&go, bumper-to-bumper stuff.  Yet, every time I drive in Vancouver it seems I run into traffic jams.  Now, traffic jams don't bother me so much because I know I'm not wasting fuel.

Having had a hybrid for a couple of months now, I'm impressed at how less frequently it needs fillups, and even the tank is smaller than usual.  It still seems strange that it gets better mileage in the city than on the highway.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:40:22 am by X-Traction »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 06:04:37 am »

Not likely...here's why:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-tips/think-you-want-a-diesel-hybrid-you-dont/article10619359/

That's not to say diesel hybrids shouldn't exist...it's to say that they are not likely to be widespread based on cost and weight disadvantages.
The VW 1.6 diesel should be cheap enough to built as they sell zillions of them and have done for some time...assuming that, like the 2.0, they could get bit through NA emissions without having to add too much stuff to it.

When Canada adopted the current US emissions controls in 2008 I think VW should have strongly negotiated an exemption for diesels  in exchange for building the assembly plant in Ontario that they looked at.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 11:06:41 am »
The VW 1.6 diesel should be cheap enough to built as they sell zillions of them and have done for some time...assuming that, like the 2.0, they could get bit through NA emissions without having to add too much stuff to it.

The 1.6L Diesel wouldn't ever be cheap enough in North America - add on the emissions requirements and it just isn't economical.  Here's why, using examples (i.e. made-up numbers) - assume the following:

-2.0L I4 gasoline costs $1000 to build.
-2.5L I5 gasoline costs $1500
-1.4T Hybrid costs $2000
-1.6L Diesel costs $1050

Anywhere there is an added cost, no matter how little that cost may be, which VW is not willing to bear, pushes that cost directly to the consumer...and what's worse, they will have a mark up on it as optional equipment.  So to think that they'll offer the 2.0L gas4 or the 1.6L diesel for the same money is absurd because they'd make less on the diesel.

The point is that the 1.6L would not be the base engine because 1) it's a diesel (new tech - can sell it for more), 2) it costs more to build. 

I don't think the 1.6 would garner as much attention as you'd like it to unless it became the new base engine without increasing the cost of the car.  Not to mention that these tiny diesels don't exactly perform well with automatic transmissions, which are found in what, 90-95% of Canadian car sales?  The only figure I can find in the 20 seconds of googling for the uptake of manual transmissions is 6.7% in 2010 in the US.  Sad, but true.