Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Kia Forte SX sedan  (Read 8358 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Kia Forte SX sedan
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:07:59 am »

New for 2010, the Forte SX sedan is equipped with a more powerful engine and a stiffer suspension than Forte LX and EX models, creating "a considerably sportier driving experience," particularly at this price-point, says editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.

Read More...

John MacDonald

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Kia Forte SX sedan
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 07:06:10 am »
I think this is a very good car and a big step forward compared to the old Spectra.  That being said there are a lot of very good cars in the compact segment and I'm not sure why someone would pick this vehicle over a new Mazda 3.  That's just my opinion but I think if people test drove these two back to back they would probably agree with me.  That being said the 2 door Koupe model doesn't have much competition at all (2 door compact market) so I can understand why I see about double the 2 doors on the road compared to the 4 door.  What will be interesting will be the next generation Hyundai Elantra, that vehicle will get a GDI 4 cylinder and I would assume that would increase the horse power on the base model to over 160 HP and have a 6 speed tranny to go with it.  It will have better fuel economy than the competition and looks that resemble the new Sonata.  There is also a possibility of the new 2.4 GDI engine being offered which would get close to 200 HP and squarely set up against the Civic SI.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:10:28 am »
Great looks inside and out, 5 speed auto, heated seats ANDheated windshield wiper de-icer, good size trunk (but with those @#$% hockey stick hinges)..........all in all lots of bang for little $$$$$. I love it......time will tell if it holds up over the years.    :thumbup:
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:41 am »
I have had a Forte SX 6-speed manual since August 2009 and can report that fuel economy and engine response have improved noticeably since I passed about the 5000 km mark... and a sheduled service during which the on-board computer was reflashed.  I agree with the suspension being stiff, and the throttle being sensitive. The latter feature takes more than a little getting used to with the manual transmission.

I have read on Kia forums that the 2011 Forte will get 6-speed manuals and 5 speed automatics on lower trimlines. Also, a 5-door hatchback is coming. Here are some pics:

http://auto.66wz.com/system/2010/04/06/101800187.shtml

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:13:25 pm by BernardP »
2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

DaveN

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:11:53 am »
I thought this was a nice review of a new/up-and-coming player in the compact car segment.  I appreciated that acceleration and in particular, braking test data was included as it provides a tangible measure with which to compare against the competition.  One thing that I would like to see, that is not often mentioned in any review in any publication/forum is how easily a child car seat or booster seat fits in the back.  For many of us who are parents, we are purchasing these cars either as primary transport for our families or as a second, more economical vehicle to complement our "people movers".  From that point of view, a little bit of information about how well and easily the average car seat fits in the back and how much room is left over for other passengers would be great insight!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:29 am »
The thing is, car seats are all different.

It's best for you to head to the dealership with YOUR car seat and see how easy it is for YOU to install it.

Love the look of the hatch, it's very Audi-esque from the rear.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:03:42 pm »
I suppose that it depends upon your priorities and my demands are not much...you know AtoB...but can not see in my mind why I would choose this over a Mazda 3 with IRS as just previously posted. Better handling could have been dialed in perhaps with IRS. The competition has it. On the plus side perhaps more inside room is available without it (big trunk) and that will appeal to AtoBrs perhaps and possibly most buyers will not know the difference between suspensions, or care if they do. I think that I would though.

When I look at this car I keep thinking of the Dodge Stratos for some reason. In a world of jelly beans, I still find the current 4 door Focus not too shabby style wise.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:51:45 pm »
I suppose that it depends upon your priorities and my demands are not much...you know AtoB...but can not see in my mind why I would choose this over a Mazda 3 with IRS as just previously posted. Better handling could have been dialed in perhaps with IRS. The competition has it. On the plus side perhaps more inside room is available without it (big trunk) and that will appeal to AtoBrs perhaps and possibly most buyers will not know the difference between suspensions, or care if they do. I think that I would though.

When I look at this car I keep thinking of the Dodge Stratos for some reason. In a world of jelly beans, I still find the current 4 door Focus not too shabby style wise.

The IRS vs. non-IRS thing isn't worth worrying about unless you're really hung up on getting the best-handling car. It makes zero difference to everyday comfort or driveability whether the car has it or not.
I used to work here.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 11:08:26 am »
There is something to be said for vertical rear wheels and front ones for that matter.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:48:18 am by Rupert »

HousesZ24

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:50:22 pm »
I would have to agree the styling is pretty good. But I'm still not convinced about the overall longevity of the car. You could look at it a couple of ways: Yes Kia offers a long warranty. (10yrs/160,000km) What does that mean? Do they not have faith in their own product? or Are they that Confident that they won't be having many warranty repairs for that length of time?

John Doe

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »
I would have to agree the styling is pretty good. But I'm still not convinced about the overall longevity of the car. You could look at it a couple of ways: Yes Kia offers a long warranty. (10yrs/160,000km) What does that mean? Do they not have faith in their own product? or Are they that Confident that they won't be having many warranty repairs for that length of time?

I know friends that own Kia's, some have clocked over 150K miles on them with no major problems, ie drivetrain, electrical.  They do go seem to need brake pads/shoes every 50K miles, maybe has something to do with driving cars hard.

baillieul

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:41 am »
I was buying in this segment last summer. Drove and really liked the Forte, but the Forte was really no less expensive than anything else in the class. To me , the Mazda 3 was the class leader at the time. After some research, I went for a lightly used 2008 Focus, which cost half of what a new Forte/Mazda 3 would have cost.

Strangely, you couldn't purchase a manual base Forte with A/C. You had to step up to the mid level model, which did have lots of stuff for the money.

Had a Forte rental for a week in south Florida this spring. Drove a lot and the car was very satisfying. Just not sure I would ever purchase new over a similarily priced Mazda 3. There would have to be some price incentive.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 09:46:03 am »
How is the tire wear on the Focus. You read  negative comments about this aspect for Mazda 3. The Mazda 3 and Focus are somewhat related are they not.