Author Topic: Winters for Nissan Rogue? (Blizzak vs X-Ice Xi3)  (Read 12031 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Winters for Nissan Rogue? (Blizzak vs X-Ice Xi3)
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:19:21 am »
I'm also going to need to get winters for my youngest daughter's 08 Rogue. Stock size is 225/60-17 and Tirerack is also suggesting 215/65-17 as an alternative. (1.36% diametre difference).

Choice appears to come down to Mich X-ice Xi3, Blizzack WS70 or General Altamax Arctic. Prices are actually pretty close with only about $20/tire separating the Generals and the X-ice with the Blizzaks falling in between.

I'm leaning towards the Michelins but have read that they are weakest in terms of wet/slushy conditions. (something we do see here on the east coast from time to time where we get freeze/thaw cycles and they use a lot of salt). The second comcern is they talk about them being low rolling resistance.  I always worry that they've compromised performance to improve F/E when I see that.

Any Pro's/Con's with going with the narrower tire? (would save about 30-40 a set depending on the tire........not enough to compromise for but if it's all the same I might as well keep the money in my pocket)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:29:29 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Winters for Nissan Rogue? (Blizzak vs X-Ice Xi3)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:53:14 am »
If you are buying new rims for the winters, what about 215/70R16 tires as they should be compatible with the Rogue and should be cheaper?  Check the reviews on the Toyo Observe GSi-5 as they are supposed to be pretty good, but weren't one of your choices.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:22 am »
Thanks but I'm not planning on buying rims. The car is an 08 and will probably only be kept for 2-3 years. I hate the black steelie look so cheap alloys + freight + TPMS sensors would run $700+. Mount and balance run $70-80 around here so it's cheaper just to buy the tires to fit the OEM 17" rims.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:10 am »
Take a look at the highly regarded, snow-rated Nokian WRG2 All-Weather tire. Its rubber compound and asymmetrical tread design are good for year-round use. Traction is much superior to an all-season tire on snow, slush and ice but not as good as a dedicated winter tire. Costly extra rims, TPMS sensors, seasonal changeovers and off-season storage are unnecessary. Pricing is similar to top quality winter tires. It's an attractive alternative, especially if your all-season tires are nearing the end of their safe service life.

Competing all-weather tires include the Hankook Optima 4S (sold exclusively by Canadian Tire), Goodyear Fortera TripleTred, Vredestein Quatac and Yokohama W-Drive. Reports say their rubber compounds may be too hard. Check independent reviews before buying.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:27:04 am »
Take a look at the highly regarded, snow-rated Nokian WRG2 All-Weather tire. Its rubber compound and asymmetrical tread design are good for year-round use. Traction is much superior to an all-season tire on snow, slush and ice but not as good as a dedicated winter tire. Costly extra rims, TPMS sensors, seasonal changeovers and off-season storage are unnecessary. Pricing is similar to top quality winter tires. It's an attractive alternative, especially if your all-season tires are nearing the end of their safe service life.

Competing all-weather tires include the Hankook Optima 4S (sold exclusively by Canadian Tire), Goodyear Fortera TripleTred, Vredestein Quatac and Yokohama W-Drive. Reports say their rubber compounds may be too hard. Check independent reviews before buying.

Thanks GW but we're talking about my 18 year old daughter here. If she's going to be winter driving it's going to be on the the best,most suitable for our conditions winter tire I can find....not a  "good "compromise.  ;D

I'm really down to the point of trying to decide which of the winter tires I originally listed would be best for our east coast winter conditions.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:51:22 am »
If it's "FOR THE KIDS TIME" rent her a limo with a cute chaufeuer for her whole class.............. :stick: protective parentals personified................ :-\ ......maybe Home University her.............u HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SHE WILL "GET UP TOO" AT COLLEGE....... :think: :shuffle:   

BLIZZAKS if she's @ YUKON UNI.....................Michelins X1ce 3's will guarantee her an A elsewhere..........except at Uof T where slicks are mandatory........ ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:54:27 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:55:58 am »
If it's "FOR THE KIDS TIME" rent her a limo with a cute chaufeuer for her whole class.............. :stick: protective parentals personified................ :-\ ......maybe Home University her.............u HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SHE WILL "GET UP TOO" AT COLLEGE....... :think: :shuffle:

Hey Saf I get your point but in this case for the sake of literally a "few dollars" doesn't it make sense to get the best winter tire possible. I've never understood people who choose cheap over good when it comes to tires.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:59:00 am »
Sailor U will have to sell yer boat/cottage/RRSP's and funny money before she graduates......................yeah $10 a tyre  EXTRA is just aboot right...any more and your'e  BANKRUPT..... :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:27:45 pm by safristi »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24:04 pm »
You can't go wrong with any of the choices.

But my money would go to the Blizzaks.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 12:52:55 pm »

+1

I don't have personal experience with the X-ice, but I've been running Blizzaks on all of my vehicles for many years now and find that they perform exceptionally well.  Blizzaks earn my vote.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 01:01:48 pm »

+1

I don't have personal experience with the X-ice, but I've been running Blizzaks on all of my vehicles for many years now and find that they perform exceptionally well.  Blizzaks earn my vote.

+2 - I've been very happy with 4 different sets of Blizzaks (for 4 different cars).  But I'd have no problem switching to X-Ice if the price was right!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »
I had the original X-Ice and the Blizzak 70's and both worked, but I greatly prefer the traction of the Blizzaks. It seemed to me that Michelin shortened the tread and limited the voids for better dry road feel, compensating for traction with siping. But in heavy wet snow the tread filled and they spun uselessly. No idea if the 2's and 3's are better.

CR tests on a skating rink and on hard packed dry snow, I think.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »
How's it work for ordering from TireRack when you're in Canada?  I'm looking at the Blizzaks as well, but I see that it will cost $156 to ship $536 worth of tires.  Does this include duties and taxes as well?  Is this not all a real pain in the butt for a mere $100 savings?  I'm also considering Yokohama Geolanders at Active Green +Ross @ $165/tire - and they're local.

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 02:41:45 pm »
How's it work for ordering from TireRack when you're in Canada?  I'm looking at the Blizzaks as well, but I see that it will cost $156 to ship $536 worth of tires.  Does this include duties and taxes as well?  Is this not all a real pain in the butt for a mere $100 savings?  I'm also considering Yokohama Geolanders at Active Green +Ross @ $165/tire - and they're local.

There's a thread on this nearby. But, I just did it. Ordered two sets of tires from TireRack shipped to North Dakota. Shipping was 200USD and doesn't include duty but since the tires were made in the US there won't be any, just PST/GST. It is a pain but since I've ordered other stuff I'm spreading out the pain over several orders.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 02:46:23 pm »

You're right Brigitte...Tirerack doesn't give a big savings if you have to ship to Canada. I'm only 100 kms from the border and with my wife doing a lot of online shopping this time of year I'm down there fairly often anyway.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »
I vote for Blizzak WS70s, the X-Ice 3 doesn't seem to be worth the average 33% price premium to me.

Costco here is competitive with buying from the US. They sell 16" steel rims for $30 a piece too, if 16" works with your Rogue.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »
I vote for Blizzak WS70s, the X-Ice 3 doesn't seem to be worth the average 33% price premium to me.

Costco here is competitive with buying from the US. They sell 16" steel rims for $30 a piece too, if 16" works with your Rogue.

$9 per tire premium for the X-ice vs the WS70 at Tirersck ($140 vs $131)

I've heard Costco has some good deals on tires but not having a membership it's a moot point for me.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »
It looks like I will be going Blizzaks for the RAV as they seem to have the best capability in slushy conditions according to the locals here on the Island.  The X-ice is not a good tire in slush or the wet from what I can gather and is not recommended for our kind of winter weather.  I am rather shocked at how close in price the General's are to supposedly much more superior tires; it was not like that when we got the General's for the Sienna a few years back.  Tough to justify them at that price now.

$9 per tire premium for the X-ice vs the WS70 at Tirersck ($140 vs $131)

I've heard Costco has some good deals on tires but not having a membership it's a moot point for me.

Price spread here between the General's and the X-ice's is $30, with the Blizzak in the middle but closer to the Michelin.

Take a look at the highly regarded, snow-rated Nokian WRG2 All-Weather tire. Its rubber compound and asymmetrical tread design are good for year-round use. Traction is much superior to an all-season tire on snow, slush and ice but not as good as a dedicated winter tire. ...

I put WRG2 SUV's on the Forester this spring and am somewhat regretting it.  Biggest issue is poor wet weather ability.  Some people may think it is fun to do a 4 wheel slide on a sharp corner on the highway but not me.  They are fine in the dry, and return about 10% better fuel economy than the Grabber AT2's they replace, not to mention being much quieter but I will not be buying them again.  Note that I have dedicated Blizzak WS60's for winter and had no intention of using the WRG's as an all weather tire.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »

I've got a Costco membership and you are welcome to get them through my card if you want.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 04:36:09 pm »
We've really put Blizzaks through their paces in my house, with sets of WS50, 60 and 70 all going on various cars.  The 70's are the best, BY FAR.

50: Great in snow, good on ice.  Okay longevity.
60: Very good on ice, not so much in snow.  Poor longevity.
70: Snow traction is back!  Ice traction is great.  The best Blizzak to date combining ice and snow traction.  Better longevity.

After a winter on the WS-70s on the Corolla, I didn't hesitate for a nanosecond to buy them this fall for the Forester.