Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2309659 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #3240 on: February 09, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »

I don't give out my cell number to anyone but friends.

No e-mail contact means not a real seller.

I would email a potential buyer, no problem.  But odds are I might not be able to buy/sell a car to/from you - I need to have a voice conversation before giving out an address or too much personal info.  I haven't once had a scammer that would make a voice call.

Well yes.  But it didn't seem to be at that stage yet.  He appeared to be asking for things that were not in the ad...determining whether the car was worth a visit IMO.

"Hi, I've read your ad for the car, and have a few questions about it...
Thanks for your time,
Joe Car Buyer"

That should get your questions answered and the deal off to a good start. No need to come out guns blazing and being a demanding :censor: about it.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3241 on: February 09, 2016, 07:40:09 pm »
i need to be able to drop a conversation in a heartbeat to do other things constantly... i actually prefer e-mail, text, etc.

but as people have said, refusal to give a phone number, yet asking for mine? no big deal, just a flag... the garage thing?... no big deal, but raises some questions... never mentioning anything vehicle specific? flag for sure... not even giving me a first name or anything? flag no doubt...

add in douchey tone, and no worries... find another car. too many issues... he might be the nicest guy in the world and have pockets full of cash, but his tact and social abilities are obviously just not a mesh with mine.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3242 on: February 09, 2016, 07:42:42 pm »
and yeah... of the 14 questions, probably 6 were answered directly in the ad, and another 4 were answered indirectly... a few were just no big deal...

so him posting the same thing, but saying, "i read your ad and here are a few things i wanted to know. _____ email only please"

if the questions were actual pertinent questions not answered in the ad and not super generic ones like "how is the engine?" gold... gets answers within 30 minutes.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: February 09, 2016, 07:45:26 pm »
I always enjoy it when rrocket gets in devil's advocate mode.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: February 09, 2016, 07:54:55 pm »
I always enjoy it when rrocket gets in devil's advocate mode.

I see both sides of the story.  I've been on both sides.  We all have.  For me when I'm the seller...I had a detailed, very descriptive reply I had prepared for my 911 when it was for sale.  If people asked, cut, copy, paste...and presto...so many details their head would spin.

I really prefer e-mail correspondence also.  It's much easier and convenient for me.

Also...I don't mind being devil's advocate.   >:D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: February 09, 2016, 09:35:35 pm »
oh, i agree that they are mostly smart questions! so that is why i responded with

Hi there. I don't mind answering your questions at all via e-mail, but as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of 'scams' out there.

if you could perhaps tell me what you are looking for in your next car and what interests you in mine, that should remove any doubt of illegitimacy.

Sorry to have to get more info, but unfortunately, it's now the world we live in! sad, really.

have a good day,
Mike

the guy used "123" as his login... wouldn't give a phone number or name... wanted to know where i lived, whether the car was kept in a garage... he could have got the vin off the carproof... he had my first and last name... i was the one with risk, so i just wanted to be sure it wasn't a robot trying to get info or someone looking to steal a car. his message said nothing about what he was looking at and would be a very smart phishing scam as many people would fill it in because it wasn't so direct or stupid as many on there...

and as i told the guy in another message, even if he was legit, i don't want to deal with him. (nor him me i'm sure)

I find this more bizzaro world than what he was asking: "if you could perhaps tell me what you are looking for in your next car and what interests you in mine"  You almost sound like a curb sider.

In all my years of buying cars locally and abroad...I've never been asked that question.

Tooscoops questions are only bizarro when considered completely out of context. The "buyers" questions were totally generic and could apply to every single car ad on Kijiji (and probably were). Tooscoops was merely trying to determine if the "buyer" was even aware of his particular vehicle. A response like "I've just always liked Patriots" would've greatly increased the "buyer's" credibility.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: February 09, 2016, 09:38:13 pm »
^^And a different reply would have improved Tooscoops credibility.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3247 on: February 09, 2016, 09:39:45 pm »
I much prefer communicating by email because then things are in writing and you don't have to worry about forgetting or misremembering.

If people refuse to communicate by email then I assume they aren't serious sellers.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: February 09, 2016, 09:40:57 pm »
I much prefer communicating by email because then things are in writing and you don't have to worry about forgetting or misremembering.

If people refuse to communicate by email then I assume they aren't serious sellers.

Yes.  It's already in writing, so you can go back and double check the facts when you're ready to compile a list of vehicles worth a visit.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: February 09, 2016, 09:45:02 pm »

Maybe. But then he doesn't really need any more. In the $5000 world, buyers vastly outnumber sellers.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: February 09, 2016, 09:50:47 pm »

Maybe. But then he doesn't really need any more. In the $5000 world, buyers vastly outnumber sellers.

Well he has zero credibility to a new buyer....merely an ad doesn't give you any credibility whatsoever.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: February 09, 2016, 11:43:47 pm »

Well he has zero credibility to a new buyer....merely an ad doesn't give you any credibility whatsoever.

He had 2 people look at it within 24 hours. He doesn't need credibility. He has what many, many buyers want - a $5000 car.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: February 10, 2016, 12:22:12 am »

Yes.  It's already in writing, so you can go back and double check the facts when you're ready to compile a list of vehicles worth a visit.

Geez R! Take a pill chill :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: February 10, 2016, 12:26:04 am »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3254 on: February 10, 2016, 09:54:17 am »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: February 10, 2016, 02:27:13 pm »
Facking post office.  >:(

I've got a parcel I need to pick up. Went to the post office yesterday at 1 pm and there's a sign: Gone for lunch, back at 1:30.

So I came back today at noon and the sign says: Gone for lunch, back at 12:35.

FFS, at least pick a time instead of making it random every day.  >:(  ::)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3256 on: February 10, 2016, 03:27:16 pm »

I've got a parcel I need to pick up. Went to the post office yesterday at 1 pm and there's a sign: Gone for lunch, back at 1:30.

Wow. That would've pissed me off something fierce.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: February 10, 2016, 04:40:05 pm »

Post offices close in the middle of the day?  First it's the super boxes, now it's this!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: February 10, 2016, 04:52:55 pm »

Post offices close in the middle of the day?  First it's the super boxes, now it's this!

Not really the post office, just the postal outlet at the grocery store.

Anyway, all good now. Did some grocery shopping then sat in the car for 15 minutes. At least they were back at 12:35 as promised.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: February 10, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »
They just want you to spend money while you wait.  Just like Shoppers.  15 min to put pills from a big container to a small container.