Author Topic: Big Guy, Small Car Test Drive: 2016 Nissan Micra SR  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Big Guy, Small Car Test Drive: 2016 Nissan Micra SR
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:32:24 am »

Nissan's Micra a compelling urban runabout, even for taller drivers.
Read More...

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
Re: Big Guy, Small Car Test Drive: 2016 Nissan Micra SR
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:09:57 am »
It's a shame the price climbs so quickly - it ends up only about $1000 cheaper than the Versa Note.

These should only ever be purchased and driven with a manual transmission. What's the point of an economy car hampered by a 4 speed slushbox?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:16:49 am »
wouldn't be caught dead driving one, what is the point

much better city runabouts out there, even more so if you go gently used... [Fiat 500 Abarth anyone?]

and yes, manual or bust with this
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline vasyapirh

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Lumina Z34, 90 Mazda 626, 92 Mazda Protege, 2004 Civic, 2013 MINI cooper, 2015 Caravan
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:14:51 am »
I test drove this and Versa (for my mom). I found this to be extremely slow (getting to 60 km/h was a chore) and very very noisy.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:28:52 am »
   It's a nice little car and the side profile is not awkward at all...just right I would say with short hood and an overall cab forward design appearance (heard that before). A design step ahead of others in this category maybe. Height means no head bumping on entry. I like the large speedo and the automatic works just great here...it selects ratios well. I don't know about skinny tires...they don't seem skinny to me but I would prefer the smaller 15" wheel though, with deeper tire sidewall and the same tread width or a little more. I think that the ride would be nicer (softer) and probably the handling would be improved. I think that the race car uses 15"wheels and maybe these should be made available. You would never notice the difference in profile. Ahhh...drum rear brakes and simple twist beam axle...I am in heaven. Two years now and only oil changes...what's not to like.
   Well there are a couple of things. It is a small car and this is noticeable more in winter when you are wearing balkier clothing...your apparel tends to overhang the shift lever and brake. Which is why I would prefer a dash mounted shift lever on automatic cars. I suppose the race driver set need it in the middle with standard. Shades of Mustang and Cougar automatics of another era. I suppose that my past experience has been with smaller vehicles so I don't find the engine bussy. About right for what it is I would say but a silent travel kit would improve ones experience I think. Reaching into the glove compartment is all but impossible from any seat and once in there be prepared to shake hands with an Australian at the bottom. Still I suppose that it holds a lot of stuff (not needed on voyage)... another reason for a central box instead of gear lever.
   All in all a great little car...simple CVVT engine, simple automatic and simple but well achieved running gear. A lot to like in the fuel sipper category.

Doesn't the Versa have the same engine in a heavier body?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:30:51 am »

much better city runabouts out there, even more so if you go gently used... [Fiat 500 Abarth anyone?]

Fiat is an unreliable, poorly built exercise in trying to be cool. No thanks, I'd take the Micra 100x over one as basic city transport.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:32:12 am »

Fiat is an unreliable, poorly built exercise in trying to be cool. No thanks, I'd take the Micra 100x over one as basic city transport.

to each their own  :shuffle:

...but you are wrong about the Fiat. Not a Toyota reliability wise, but my friends in the Italian Car Club dont have any horror stories to report, and some of those cars are heavily modified to 200+hp.

And it is not trying to be cool, it IS cool. Like how an MX-5 is cool...once you drive one in anger you see that your prejudiced views were misguided. It is a fiesty little thing with the heart of a Ferrari...and the best sounding turbo 4cyl I have ever heard.

Now the Nissan, that is the complete opposite of the Fiat. No soul, no character. An appliance. No thanks. Why go for basic city transport, when you can get the Fiat and have fun while you zip around town? Only someone who really hates life would not go for that...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 09:33:23 am »
"since the car’s so light (it weighs in at just over 2,000 kilos),"

Man this car is heavy, no wonder it's soooo slow. 

I've got to say I have a lot of respect for someone who buys a base model of one of these and daily drivers it.  It's the cheapest way to get into a new car and with the lack of features and basic engine, transmission, brakes, tires, and suspension I'd say extremely cheap to maintain over the long haul.  Part of me would consider going this route to save for something more special down the road, but living with this every day would probably get pretty old quick.

No real mention of fuel economy or safety ratings, which are both things I'd think people would be interested in knowing about.

Sure there are used cars that are much better value and better to drive, but as far as cheap new cars I'd say this beats both the Mirage and Spark.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 09:41:36 am »
2000 kilos?  I don't think so...  maybe a bit more than 2000 pounds.

Personally, if Nissan is going to attach the Nismo name to something, it better have the performance upped to back it up versus just an appearance package.  They should drop the Juke 1.6 turbo engine in and then call it a Nismo.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 09:46:13 am »

no point once you start comparing used car prices with new car prices...a new abarth is at least 10k more expensive...but I agree the abarth is 100x better car than this...

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 10:05:20 am »
   I have to agree about the 500 and was seriously considering a 500T with automatic (sorry about that)...but they were not available at the time. Then gas went to $1.40 and more and the Micra was appealing. Frugality? I don't know. A tank of gas seems to last an awful long time. Depends a lot on how one uses it.
   I like the 500 though but not the larger ones. It only has two doors but in Turbo form you would look at it and it might just be saying "let's go for a romp"...it's more sporty. Were'as the Micra might be saying "I'll take you 'now'...and your friends in back" and we can still have some fun. Hmmm.... "I will bring you back too". If cars could talk.

Some cars might become appliances...it's true. I had an old Trooper and I always used to look forward to getting in, in the morning and driving to work. It was enjoyable and never became just ordinary. Trouble was that one eventually arrived and you had to get out.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:07:58 am by Rupert »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:07:01 am »

...but you are wrong about the Fiat. Not a Toyota reliability wise, but my friends in the Italian Car Club dont have any horror stories to report, and some of those cars are heavily modified to 200+hp.

And it is not trying to be cool, it IS cool. Like how an MX-5 is cool...once you drive one in anger you see that your prejudiced views were misguided. It is a fiesty little thing with the heart of a Ferrari...and the best sounding turbo 4cyl I have ever heard.

Now the Nissan, that is the complete opposite of the Fiat. No soul, no character. An appliance. No thanks. Why go for basic city transport, when you can get the Fiat and have fun while you zip around town? Only someone who really hates life would not go for that...

The Abarth costs twice as much to buy brand new, at that price, Fiesta ST, but those are different cars with way different price ranges. You cannot compare new and used cars.......

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:35 am »

The Abarth costs twice as much to buy brand new, at that price, Fiesta ST, but those are different cars with way different price ranges. You cannot compare new and used cars.......

but buying that cheap of a car brand new seems odd to me...penalty box for sure. What are you getting other than a full warranty? I see no point at all, if one enjoys the act of driving. Buy gently used, get a much better car, might even have some warranty to boot. Cheaping out on a brand new car just seems...a waste of money and a squandered opportunity to get a nice car at the same price. Not talking 15 year old V12 Merc, but a 2-3 year old fun little car.

Yeah I guess you cannot compare then, apples and oranges and all that, but if it were my money...yeah no way. I would rather take the bus.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 10:31:06 am »
I mean if I had to commute in a driving hell hole such as Vancouver or Toronto on a daily basis, one of these little disposable appliances would make sense. Mile out in 3 years, toss in garbage, get new one.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »
I mean if I had to commute in a driving hell hole such as Vancouver or Toronto on a daily basis, one of these little disposable appliances would make sense. Mile out in 3 years, toss in garbage, get new one.
I'd take the train IMO. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 12:07:49 pm »
I'd take the train IMO.

Ugghhhhh.....I can't, public transportation, having to interact with people in the morning.....nope, nope, nope. No way.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »
I'd take the train IMO.

Ugghhhhh.....I can't, public transportation, having to interact with people in the morning.....nope, nope, nope. No way.
Lol.  Yeah, I know what you mean.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 12:21:58 pm »
I'd take the train IMO.

Lol.  Yeah, I know what you mean.

The wife and I use the LRT to go to concerts and hockey games, but having to be human before 0800 and before my third cup of coffee....I'm out  ;D

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 01:15:25 pm »
I think that the Micra will surprise over time. It is the new Mini in many ways...if there could be another.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 01:34:44 pm »
I test drove a Micra, and it's not the penalty box everyone likes to make it out as.  It's a pretty decent car and as basic transportation, a really good buy.

People buying this just want an inexpensive NEW car.  For $15K you can buy all manner of used enthusiast cars from a Miata to a Mustang or Abarth or whatever.  The buyer of a Micra won't be thinking "oh, look, I can buy some used car for the same."  No, they want a NEW car with a new warranty and new tires and new everything.  They want cheap insurance, cheap payments (new car financing is cheap) and the lowest costs for service and repairs possible.  Good fuel economy too.

Yes, I know it's easy to show that buying a used car that was more money originally means you get "more" car and actually might cost you less as the depreciation curve is less steep, but that's not how Micra buyers think.  They want a cheap new car.

And as cheap new cars go, it's pretty good.  Priced about the same as the Mirage - and 1000x the car.