Author Topic: What do you look for in a truck?  (Read 12331 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: What do you look for in a truck?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 09:55:17 am »
I was not sure if you looking new or used
Sliding windows, only had one truck with it was a regular cab without AC , it came in handy
Besides that I see no needed for one
Have you drive a truck and open the windows, in my Chevy extended cab the buffering is so bad it hurts your ears and with auto AC , why open windows

I have a slidin box protector on my truck , it great because I can easily slide my equipment to the front of the truck  :rofl2:

Front sensors are like back up sensors , nice to have but not 100% needed
Big thing to look at is a cover for the bed , I have only had caps , so can not really help you there

Get a truck that uses Apple car play or the  Google   system

All the trucks are great now , I think I would go with a Ram crewcab Big Horn short box with an Ecodiesel

Tell us again how much you like your truck's cap? :stick:  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2110
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 11:40:45 am »
Sliding windows, only had one truck with it was a regular cab without AC , it came in handy
Have you drive a truck and open the windows, in my Chevy extended cab the buffering is so bad it hurts your ears and with auto AC , why open windows

I have a slidin box protector on my truck , it great because I can easily slide my equipment to the front of the truck  :rofl2:

Big thing to look at is a cover for the bed , I have only had caps , so can not really help you there

All the trucks are great now , I think I would go with a Ram crewcab Big Horn short box with an Ecodiesel

Sounds like a van would be a better choice than a truck......I do not get the truck cap thing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 02:36:12 pm »

Sounds like a van would be a better choice than a truck......I do not get the truck cap thing.

You do not get a lot of thing  :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »

Well whats the point of the truxk then??

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 04:45:54 pm »
Short cab, long box and a low bed height for easy loading.    A truck has to be useful; a bit of rust and a few dents don't matter.  A shiny truck is just a toy to impress one's pals. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 05:40:06 pm »
Short cab, long box and a low bed height for easy loading.    A truck has to be useful; a bit of rust and a few dents don't matter.  A shiny truck is just a toy to impress one's pals. 

::)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 08:15:23 pm »

Yes, very helpful.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 09:09:57 pm »

Yes, very helpful.
:rofl:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 01:22:07 am »

Well whats the point of the truxk then??

My boss has the box cover on this F150.  He hauls different stuff all the time.  So using a box to protect it from the elements, and to keep them safer makes sense.  Would a van work?  Maybe, but only a full size van.  Then it would be more difficult to load things, like dirt and such,  Where the box can be removed on the truck. 

Paralleled parked the truck several times, without front sensors or backup camera.  Was it downtown Toronto?  NO.  But it was downtown Hamilton! 

If I ever were to get a truck, it would be for a need, not a want.  And so I would never buy new.  Something like Vmango recent purchased.  2010 or newer GMC/Chevy with the 5.3L and 6 speed auto, crew cab.  Box would be the smaller one, enough for my needs.  It's the towing capacity I am after.   

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 12:05:19 pm »
TB, how is the truck primarily to be used?  You mentioned hauling your bikes - is it routinely hauling, or just occasionally?  And what about towing?

All the new trucks seem really well engineered, but here's a few things I've learned since my wife started into the truck world...

1.  Will you be the only one driving?  If not, and your SO is very short, you might want to look for adjustable pedals.  Sounds dumb, but it allowed my wife to have a much more comfortable driving position (otherwise she'd be jammed against the steering wheel because she is too short!)  I think a power seat would be nice too, but surprisingly both trucks she bought had power pedals but not seat...

2.  The extra 12" of wheelbase from the crew cab-5.5' box or extended cab-6.5' box (about 133" wheelbase) versus crew cab - 6.5' box (about 145" wheelbase) might not seem like much, but it makes a BIG difference in turning radius (and ease of parking).  If this isn't going to be an issue, then no worries.  But if you really want the crew cab and don't want to go long WB, yet need a longer box for your bikes, would the bed extender (tailgate thingee) work?

3.  You mentioned the axle ratios - if possible test drive various ratios for each engine.  It makes a big difference, not only in towing capacity but in daily driving.  The same engine with a 3.31. versus 3.73 might feel very different. How much of an impact the axle ratio has on fuel economy, not sure.  If you are buying used, be prepared for the owner (or dealership) to not know the axle ratio - but it's easy to get from the VIN codes.

4.  If you are often parking outside, tonneau covers are awesome.  Even the cheap tri-fold or soft roll-up ones are worth it.  But if using the bed all the time, or need more security, I'd look into the retractable roll-up hard cover ones.  Very pricey, but nice.

5.  If you are constantly hauling stuff into/out of the bed, look at the tailgate and bed side heights.  The newer trucks are generally a PITA to load/unload (even with the tailgate steps and whatnot) because they are so high.  But the various trim levels can change the height by quite a bit - 4x4s are generally higher than RWD, off-road packages are taller still. 

6.  If you go with a truck, the truck accessory world is ridiculous, and awesome, and sometimes ridiculously awesome!  So much stuff that makes you shake your head in disbelief, or else go "how could I live without this?"  And sometimes at the same time!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »
If you go with a truck, the truck accessory world is ridiculous, and awesome, and sometimes ridiculously awesome!  So much stuff that makes you shake your head in disbelief, or else go "how could I live without this?"  And sometimes at the same time!

Which accessory do you have that you can not live with out ?

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 04:26:00 pm »

Which accessory do you have that you can not live with out ?

For me it's the tonneau cover.  Hauling the tent trailer a few weeks ago and it started to pour, a bunch of our gear in the bed would have been soaked without it.  And yet when it comes time to haul the gooseneck trailer, 5 seconds to roll it up and out of the way.

I'm always shocked at the amount and variety of truck accessories when going to the aftermarket places like Action truck or Tiger Automotive.  So many nerf bars, running boards, trailer mirrors, side steps, cargo bars, bull bars, winches, tailgate assists, tool and cargo boxes, bumper steps, tailgate bed extenders, and on and on...   

I have no use for the vast majority, but it's cool that there's so much aftermarket availability.  Besides, where else can you get something as functional as a snowplow mount, and as ludicrous as truck nuts??

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 04:30:29 pm »
 Also TB is in the UK , or should be unless he flying Delta