Author Topic: Auto Tech: Our electrical future  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Our electrical future
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:58 am »

Technical editor, Jim Kerr, explains the next generation of vehicles: electrics and plug-in hybrids.

Read More...

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tech: Our electrical future
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:35:07 am »
I find that Miles Per Gallon equivalency (MPGe or Le/100km) is a bad unit of measure for plug-in cars. Yes, it allows comparing numbers with regular cars, but that doesn't translate to how much money you'll save because the rating depends on the distance you drive between charges.

I hope Transport Canada will provide two figures for plug-in: one using kWh when running on electricity (along with the range and top speed limits of this mode) and another one using liters when running on gas (like regular hybrids).

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:00 am »
I find that Miles Per Gallon equivalency (MPGe or Le/100km) is a bad unit of measure for plug-in cars. Yes, it allows comparing numbers with regular cars, but that doesn't translate to how much money you'll save because the rating depends on the distance you drive between charges.

I hope Transport Canada will provide two figures for plug-in: one using kWh when running on electricity (along with the range and top speed limits of this mode) and another one using liters when running on gas (like regular hybrids).

Good point, Transport Canada should use equivalent tonnes of coal, Kg U3O8, or hectares of river ecosystem required per km.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:56 am »
Still a problem I think for the cost of an EV.    We the people are accustomed to gas engined cars and car easily translate the EPA economy numbers into what we see in the real world and into cost.   Don't know about you guys but I know exactly how much I spend on gas for our cars from the credit card slips.

With an EV such as the Leaf all we see is the household electricity bill going up but unless the dedicated car charger has a meter in it ( do they?   they should)  we don't know if the extra is the car or whether someone left the lights on,the freezer is malfunctioning or the clothes dryer used more than usual. 

Further there is that battery problem. As the evs, so far anyway, don't have much power to spare, every use of the ac,heater, lights etc lessens the range,  doesn't matter in a gas car  as the nearest fill up is usually close, quick and always available but on an EV it is important.  So should Ev numbers be posted with ac on/ac off   lights on/lights off   corrections?   

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
I find that Miles Per Gallon equivalency (MPGe or Le/100km) is a bad unit of measure for plug-in cars.

Good point, Transport Canada should use equivalent tonnes of coal, Kg U3O8, or hectares of river ecosystem required per km.

This doesn't bode well: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/media-room/news-release/2012/3a/3650
They don't even list the electricity consumption for pure electrics...

Nissan LEAF fuel consumption: city: 2.2 Le/100 km (128 mi./gal.e), highway: 2.6 Le/100 km (109 mi./gal.e)

I'll have to check my utility bill and see how much a liter of electricity costs around here.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:41:51 pm »
With an EV such as the Leaf all we see is the household electricity bill going up but unless the dedicated car charger has a meter in it ( do they?   they should)  we don't know if the extra is the car or whether someone left the lights on,the freezer is malfunctioning or the clothes dryer used more than usual. 

Good point. Nissan Carwings shows the electricity consumption but I don't know about the charging equipment. I suppose it's always possible to add a meter though like for any appliance (think kill-a-watt).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:45:42 pm by Gwido »

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:47 pm »

*snerk*

Sarcasm aside, it's a good point. Would be nice to see more acknowledgement that not all electricity comes from renewable/clean sources.
I used to work here.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »
I picked this off the CBC site.  It's about the first practical evaluation of an all electric car in Canadian conditions I've seen.  Nice chart included.

BTW, the fellow doing the testing was both an enthusiast to start and very enthusiastic at the end so no letdown in his set of expectations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/02/14/mb-electric-car-winter-cold-weather.html

Cheers,
John M.