Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Nissan Quest LE  (Read 8386 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Nissan Quest LE
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:05:21 am »

It's luxurious and feels powerful, but the Quest has oddball styling, mushy handling and it's expensive, says Jil McIntosh.

Read More...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Nissan Quest LE
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:29 am »
I'm not sure why Nissan decided to make another Quest.  I know that minivans are an important segment in the industry but if you're not going to make a top notch product then you won't be getting sales.  The standard for cheap minivans is the Dodge Caravan and now with the upgraded V6 it's a seriously good bargain.  The standard for the best overall minivan is the Honda Odyssey, followed closely by the Toyota Sienna.  Then you have the Mazda 5 that is a compact-minivan, plus soon there will be a Ford C-Max that will be coming out based off the new Focus.  There just isn't room for a sub-par product in this segment.  I don't forsee there being many of these on the road.  Probably just as much as the VW minivan.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:41:35 am »
I actually like the way it looks better than all the others, but I haven't read much good about the way it drives.

Were I shopping the segment, I doubt this would have a real chance of earning my dollars away from Odyssey and Sienna.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:44:45 am »
... but I haven't read much good about the way it drives.

The Quest makes the Odyssey and Sienna, to a lesser extent, feel like sports cars in comparison. Its handling could politely be described as ponderous.
I used to work here.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:51:06 am »
... but I haven't read much good about the way it drives.

The Quest makes the Odyssey and Sienna, to a lesser extent, feel like sports cars in comparison. Its handling could politely be described as ponderous.

Yep, that meets my definition of "not good".  And it's kind of surprising given that the Odyssey / Sienna benchmarks have been there for a while, and Nissan knew they needed to come out with a winner to replace the previous oddball Quest.

Jaeger

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:35 am »
I'm not sure why Nissan decided to make another Quest.  I know that minivans are an important segment in the industry but if you're not going to make a top notch product then you won't be getting sales.  The standard for cheap minivans is the Dodge Caravan and now with the upgraded V6 it's a seriously good bargain.  The standard for the best overall minivan is the Honda Odyssey, followed closely by the Toyota Sienna.  Then you have the Mazda 5 that is a compact-minivan, plus soon there will be a Ford C-Max that will be coming out based off the new Focus.  There just isn't room for a sub-par product in this segment.  I don't forsee there being many of these on the road.  Probably just as much as the VW minivan.

Ford cancelled the 7 passenger C-Max for North America.  Only the 5 seater C-Max will be launched in Hybrid and Plug-in-Hybrid variants.

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:33:21 am »
Last I checked there will be no Sedona or Entourage replacements.   :(

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:49:40 am »
I saw one of these parked in Pearson airport back in May.  I looked it over for a few minutes and actually thought it was an attractive minivan.  It's a little different looking but I really like it.  Certainly better looking than the Odyssey to my eyes.  Regarding the handling, how many Moms out there really care how their minivan handles?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:52:26 am »
I am agree the look is subjective - simply I like it more than others', excluding Mazda5, if it's in the bunch. With GM and seems Hyundai/Kia disappearing, why this one shouldn't try it. It is the best in terms overall luxury and boat like ride can be an advantage for many customers. Althogh the price can be deal breaker for some...We'll see.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:56:53 am »
I saw one of these parked in Pearson airport back in May.  I looked it over for a few minutes and actually thought it was an attractive minivan.  It's a little different looking but I really like it.  Certainly better looking than the Odyssey to my eyes.  Regarding the handling, how many Moms out there really care how their minivan handles?

I'm with you on the looks.  But on the second point, even in a segment where handling is a diminished priority (at least, as we enthusiasts understand the term) I suspect that an average consumer driving all three will notice the difference, even if they don't label it "handling" per se, they will likely just perceive that one "drives better" or "drives worse" than the rest.

I haven't driven any of the current crop, so I can't say how noticeable it is.

Jaeger

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:17:38 am »
Stopped reading at the fourth paragraph at "CVT transmission." Don't trust the technology, especially on higher powered, heavier vehicles. Nissan's rescission of the extended CVT warranty did nothing to bolster my confidence.

A caller to Sunday's CP24 AutoShop program told the host his CVT has been replaced three times since he bought the car new last June, and it's making worrisome noises again.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:30:19 am »
Stopped reading at the fourth paragraph at "CVT transmission." Don't trust the technology, especially on higher powered, heavier vehicles. Nissan's rescission of the extended CVT warranty did nothing to bolster my confidence.

Stopped reading at the point where it said 7-seat only configuration and non-removable second-row seats.
I like the appearance and could probably live with "ponderous" handling but limited configuration and premium price make new Caravan look taht much more attractive. Gotta give that Dodge another look to see if it's really that much better in terms of interior quality and the new V6.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:38:16 am »

Ford cancelled the 7 passenger C-Max for North America.  Only the 5 seater C-Max will be launched in Hybrid and Plug-in-Hybrid variants.
That's too bad as I'm sure it could have stole some sales from other minivans (especially the Mazda 5).  If I'm not mistaken it was supposed to have similar size as the Mazda 5, with a better platform (making it better handling), and come with a fuel efficient eco-boost engine.  Well i guess it's hard for Ford to forget the Windstar and the fact that they make more by selling the Flex and Explorer for their 3rd row seaters.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:37:19 am »

Gotta give that Dodge another look to see if it's really that much better in terms of interior quality and the new V6.

The new Pentastar motor is good, based on my limited experience with it. I've only driven the new Grand Cherokee with it. I bet it'd move the Caravan quite nicely.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 10:49:45 am »

Gotta give that Dodge another look to see if it's really that much better in terms of interior quality and the new V6.

The new Pentastar motor is good, based on my limited experience with it. I've only driven the new Grand Cherokee with it. I bet it'd move the Caravan quite nicely.
My freind just bought one and went on a trip from NB to Ottawa, Toronto, and Niagra Falls.  He said that his readout for fuel mileage from NB to Montreal was 38 imperial MPG and from Ottawa to Toronto/Niagra Falls it was 42 imperial MPG.  To me those numbers are way better than they used to be for the Caravan and it's probably some of the best mileage out of any minivan in the market.  That being said it's just what his readout said and sometimes these things can be off by quite a bit. 

I should note that it was a Caravan that he bought with the new Penastar engine not a new Quest.  Sorry for not stating that earlier.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:23:35 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

My freind just bought one and went on a trip from NB to Ottawa, Toronto, and Niagra Falls.  He said that his readout for fuel mileage from NB to Montreal was 38 imperial MPG and from Ottawa to Toronto/Niagra Falls it was 42 imperial MPG.  To me those numbers are way better than they used to be for the Caravan and it's probably some of the best mileage out of any minivan in the market.  That being said it's just what his readout said and sometimes these things can be off by quite a bit. 

My Quest tester was lucky to get 9 L/100 km (about 31 mpg) on the highway, and much of the driving on that trip was in the 90-100 km/h range.

crt

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 11:07:54 am »

Just happened to see one of these on the street yesterday - about as ugly as they get - on par with the Pontiac Aztek!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 12:42:44 pm »
I suspect you'll see a lot of older folks who think they need a ton of space buying these. Lets face it - this would probably be the "luxury sedan" of minivans. The "ponderous" ride will remind them of their old Buicks/Caddys, etc. I don't think it'll sell in huge numbers but I'm willing to bet it'll do well enough.

We have 4 Nissan's with CVTs in my IMMEDIATE family alone - NONE of them have had any issues at all. I look at the extended CVT warranty as Nissan trying to sway the non-believers that its not reliable. "Here you go - an extra x years and x kms - so now that shouldn't be a concern anymore so give it a try!".

I think what hurts this van the most for the average consumer is the lack of folding/removeable seats and its price. As bad as Dodge is right now I'd probably lease a Caravan and give it back before the tranny inevitably explodes as seems to be the defacto standard on those things. Though for some twisted reason the Sienna Sport keeps making me turn my head when I see one go by..... So wrong.....
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »
Taking stock so far, we have subjective styling, poor handling, uncompetitive pricing and a CVT that will make you pine for the slush boxes of yore.  It's not looking good Nissan.

It's a tad more expensive, but the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna also climb to near-$50K when fully optioned.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:21:14 pm »
As a minivan owner, the interior of the Quest holds no interest to me whatsoever.  In my Ody, I have plenty of room in the 3rd row.  In the Quest, the 3rd row feels like a kindergarten kiddie bench, low on the floor.  We regularly add adult passengers to our family of five, and need adult room in all three rows.  The dash is also quite high for petite moms, and visibility is usually a strong plus for minivans.  Never thought I'd say this, but the previous Quest was much better.  Fail.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist