Author Topic: 2015 Forte LX+ A/T versus Elantra GL A/T ??  (Read 2856 times)

Offline jtplayte

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: escape corolla
2015 Forte LX+ A/T versus Elantra GL A/T ??
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:23:23 am »
Both these cars have identical options etc.

Assuming I can get $3000 trade in for my used car.....

Forte can be had right now for $128.33 Bi-Weekly all taxes included

Elantra can be had right now for $145.38 Bi-Weekly all taxes included

From the research I have done, the slight nod goes to the Hyundai, but is it worth $17 Bi-Weekly more ????

Thoughts from owners of the 2015 version of either vehicle or other input greatly appreciated.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: 2015 Forte LX+ A/T versus Elantra GL A/T ??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 10:29:14 am »
Forte can be had right now for $128.33 Bi-Weekly all taxes included

Elantra can be had right now for $145.38 Bi-Weekly all taxes included

Same term and interest rate?

Offline jtplayte

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 10:42:30 am »
Yes. 0% for 5 years.

Although, the Elantra can get 0% for 6 years to bring payment down.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:58:33 am »
I haven't driven either, but see if warranty coverage is the same, the driver seat and position is as comfortable, that nothing annoys you and also if insurance premiums are taken into equation.
There has to be some difference in how these cars drive, for instance in firmness of steering or how linear and soft/firm the brake pedals are. In the end of the day I'd get one that is a better car for me over saving of 40 bucks.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:00:25 am »
Odd, since the Elantra GL costs $500 less than a Forte LX+. The Forte LX+ is also better equipped with mirror turn signals, fog lights, illuminated vanity mirrors, although the Elantra comes with automatic exterior lights.

In this case though, it seems the finance payment favours the Forte over the Elantra. They're mechanically pretty much the same, so it comes down to style preference.

Offline jtplayte

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
2015 Forte LX+ A/T versus Elantra GL A/T ??
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 12:29:45 pm »
The Forte has $4000 rebate....Elantra just shy of $1800

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 08:49:41 pm »
My little sister has a 2012 Elantra with the same 1.8L engine.  She has had many issues with it over the past few years.  Her engine was replaced after only 60,000kms.  We know of 5 other people who have had this same issue.  It's gotten so common that the service guy at the dealer replaces one of these engines every week or so.  They are able to do this in less than a day.

I know you're looking for a deal on a vehicle you can enjoy for years.  My suggestion is to explore other options other than these two vehicles with the same problem area. 

Note that I am not saying stay away from these manufacturers, just away from this problem engine.

Offline jtplayte

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:08:40 pm »
My little sister has a 2012 Elantra with the same 1.8L engine.  She has had many issues with it over the past few years.  Her engine was replaced after only 60,000kms.  We know of 5 other people who have had this same issue.  It's gotten so common that the service guy at the dealer replaces one of these engines every week or so.  They are able to do this in less than a day.

I know you're looking for a deal on a vehicle you can enjoy for years.  My suggestion is to explore other options other than these two vehicles with the same problem area. 

Note that I am not saying stay away from these manufacturers, just away from this problem engine.

Interesting...first this has come up in my research.....upon a bit further digging, I am wondering if it is for 2011-2012 engines only ?

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 11:19:40 pm »

Very interesting. I have also never heard of problems like this....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 07:55:42 am »

Interesting...first this has come up in my research.....upon a bit further digging, I am wondering if it is for 2011-2012 engines only ?
From my understanding these have been happening regularly with this generation.  I haven't done any searches on the internet, just reporting what I have heard locally from other owners.  I would think if this is a big problem Hyundai would be addressing it, so the flaw in the engine might be addressed now.  But I still wouldn't trust it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 01:27:00 pm »
A quick trip to some forums seems to reveal that there might be some premature death issues with the 1.8L engine - not sure about specific years, but the first two years of production seem particularly affected so far - but perhaps later ones might be as they age?  Hard to tell.  One thing from forums of course is that you don't hear from the many people with no issues - but it's something to be cognizant about.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 05:59:01 pm »
The Forte has $4000 rebate....Elantra just shy of $1800

My GF signed for a 2015 Forte LX+ last week.  $17945. incl. destination, prep, AC and tire tax.  $4000. on the hood and all financed for 60 months at 0%.  Her payments will be $345./Month incl. taxes (Qb).  The dealer has the color she wanted coming at the end of the month and no other comparable compact had this kind of deal.

The Forte LX+ is indeed better equiped than the Elantra GL and looks better inside and out to our eyes.  I test drove one manufactured in May 2014 and all was smooth and silent in the engine compartment.  As for the engine issue, Protegez-Vous states 2011-2013 to be potentially problematic but no info about the exact problem and if it has been rectified.  Hyundai engines have been known to be capricious over oil filters in the past but I can't confirm if that's the case with the 1.8l.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:02:14 pm by Minou »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 07:10:42 am »
Minou - well looks like it was a very solid deal and I wish you and her all the best.  Congrats on the new car purchase.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 02:13:04 pm »
Well jtplayte, what did you get?

Offline jtplayte

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 10:19:04 am »
Hi All,

I did decide...and broke the bank.

I test drove the Forte Ex and the Elantra GLS (mid trim level), and in my opinion, for my needs, the upgrades were worth it. The Elantra GLS comes standard with sunroof, and the 2.0L engine upgrade is a no brainer for the extra power (will be doing lots of highway driving).

As you go up the trim levels, the price gap between Forte and Elantra disappear.

I was then really dumb and drove the Elantra Limited. Then the rationalization starts to come in. Is the leather, lumbar seat, 7" high res screen with navigation etc. etc. worth the extra money. It is not like you can "upgrade" later. I also would not want to regret it and later say...."I should have paid for the leather". Also, with Hyundai, you get 0% for 6 years versus 5 so makes increase in payments seem smaller and more manageable.

We jumped from a $19,000-$20,000 all in drive off the lot LX+ Forte to the Elantra Limited. Purchased the custom fit liners for front and back and they threw in the cargo tray, also purchased rims and winter tires with 10% additional discount. Also got an additional $700 off the $2200 and change for dealer invoice pricing. I figured it best to buy these things now at 0% over 6 years (156 payments) versus paying full pop come winter.

With down payment (I know...dumb at 0% but really wanted smaller payments).....I am paying $160 bi-weekly for 6 years. Do-able and now I have a reliable car for the upcoming hockey season where we will be putting on 12K kilometers.

VERY impressed with the car so far, hopefully can say the same years down the road.

My suggestion to others is to test drive all options at all trims and evaluate what is important to you. For us, in the end, wanted leather, sunroof, lumbar seats etc. etc. I like the 7" higher def screen and really hope Google Auto comes to it like it did the 2015 Sonata last week.

we live we learn....time will tell.

jtplayte