Author Topic: Mazda zooms in with new company slogan: "Driving Matters"  (Read 7219 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Mazda zooms in with new company slogan: \
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 08:06:34 am »
I actually don't think advertising affects my decision at all, much like the sales person at the dealer.  I only care about the product and how it feels when I drive it.  That being said vast majority of people don't test drive everything under the sun in order to find what they are looking for.  Hell some don't even read vehicle reviews.  So I understand that marketing is important to get the customer in the door and get them to try your vehicle.  I tend to enjoy car commercials that are rather humorous.  People keep talking about catch phrases and I have to say there aren't many I can say off the top of my head, Zoom Zoom of course, Confidence in Motion is Subaru I think, Ultimate Driving Machine for BMW, and that's about all I can come up with.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:58:33 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 08:17:35 am »
Hard to predict what works in marketing. I really believe the successful catch in the Zoom Zoom campaign was the presentation of the young boy whispering "Zoom, Zoom", not the implication of superior performance. Same with the old lady asking "Where's the beef?" We don't necessarily associate Wendy's with extra proportions of beef, but we do remember the old lady and her brilliant delivery. Will "Driving Matters" be successful? Probably not. The 20-40 age demographic (that Mazda surely must be targeting) care less about driving now and more about the destination and the conveniences/toys that are provided along the way.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16:38 am »
The ad follows the trend of a mini movie. In the respect it's well done and successful.

I think it will do what it was supposed to do a leave an impression in the mind of a potential buyer.

It may not be the deciding factor in buying the new MX-5 but adds to a brand identity.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:08:23 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Northernridge

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 10:04:38 am »
An old adage in the business (ad biz) is: the best you can hope for from your advertising is to reinforce what is already believed to be true.

This is why auto enthusiasts call BS on so much advertising...they are typically more in tune with realities of a given car.

A good creative director spends a lot of time trying to figure what sort of 'truth' she/he can work with and goes from there.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 11:12:38 am »
That ad was directed at me so much it felt like it punched me in the face.

Of course, I wasn't nearly so lucky as to have a Miata to drive during my high school/college days.

I'm not sure WHO the ad is targeting

I felt that the ad was targeting Fathers. Fathers who may have owned a cool car - or wished they owned one - prior to having kids. So, they have the realistic family vehicles, and the one that we wish we could also have. Which is me.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 01:29:32 pm »
Mazda needs to show that despite being a smaller maker and not having a large line up of vehicles (no van, no trucks, etc) they can meet your needs through all stages of life.  They then need to show that those same vehicles elicit emotional responses and are not only serve the needs of the owners, but provide enjoyment.

Including the NA Miata shows Mazda's history of making passion-inducing cars and makes the story realistic and better.

It's a solid ad - one of the best I've seen from Mazda in a LONG time.  It can be the foundation for a series of ads that then highlight the various products.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 01:41:49 pm »
That ad was directed at me so much it felt like it punched me in the face.

Of course, I wasn't nearly so lucky as to have a Miata to drive during my high school/college days.

I'm not sure WHO the ad is targeting

I felt that the ad was targeting Fathers. Fathers who may have owned a cool car - or wished they owned one - prior to having kids. So, they have the realistic family vehicles, and the one that we wish we could also have. Which is me.
I felt the same way. The add gives me the feeling that I need to go buy the MX 5 right now. Never wanted to buy something because of an add until now, but I drive a Mazda so that might be the answer why.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 02:40:29 pm »
Agree this is a solid ad.
Interesting to compare Mazda's direction "driving matters" and GM ads "we have built in wi-fi"

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 02:46:24 pm »
The slogan reminds me of VW, "Drivers Wanted"

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 03:43:49 pm »
I thought it was "Das Auto".....
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 03:47:19 pm »
I thought it was "Das Auto".....

Now it is but before it was.

One of the best slogans in auto ad history.

http://www.adslogans.co.uk/hof/3top10.html

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 04:03:52 pm »
Anyone remember the awesome 944 Turbo ad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvTVk0doJJM

Mercedes gets it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tejCak0TAa0

Now Porsche ads are about slowly cruising along freeways and looking up at office buildings and hanging with your friends at the latest coffee spot.   :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDUGgTo-FY

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Mazda zooms in with new company slogan:
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:02 pm »
mazda like every company has it's weaknesses... about time they actually started trying to emphasize their strengths... or at least, perceived strengths. or maybe historical?

whatever the case, I find most Mazda's are a enjoyable drive (for someone who actually is looking to feel the ride)... they are doing it right in my mind... try to appeal to those who want more than an appliance, but can't afford (practically) a more "performance tuned" machine.... exactly where mazda sits... not the best car, but for your buck, one of the best driver's cars.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now