Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Orlando LT  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Orlando LT
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:10:21 am »

The Chevrolet Orlando provides the flexibility to carry all of a family's precious cargo without breaking the family budget, says Grant Yoxon.

Read More...

bob1link

Re: Test Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Orlando LT
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:51 am »
I'm glad car companies are making more 'compact' mini-vans for people looking for carrying occasional 7 passengers.  Personally I prefer the styling of the Orlando over the Mazda 5, but have to wait until the revised Kia Rondo to judge.   

Offline Alex MacLean

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »
I took note that he said it was really easy to get into, I thought that was true as well, except the exception that I found it VERY easy to smack my head against the roof. I really liked the vehicle overall, but I'm only 5'10 and I sense if I owned the vehicle there would be several mild concussions in my future. lol

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »
I'm a current Mazda 5 owner, so am biased, but just my thoughts:

1. I'm a fan of the sliding doors. Some people aren't. It's probably a smart move for Chevrolet to not have sliding doors as it looks less like a minivan. I'd buy the 5 because of this feature though.

2. The performance in comparison tests doesn't really show the Orlando to be using any of its extra power, nor the extra gear to good effect. It weighs 50kg more in base spec than a 5 in base spec, but that can't be the only reason?

3. Fuel consumption seems poor for a DI engine with 6 speed auto. Again the 5 is actually better (marginally at 9.5, 6.7 - compares to 10.6, 6.9). Can it just be the weight?

4. I dislike the "tumble" of the middle row. It would damage cargo and I'd be worried about injuries. The latch system on the bottom of the seats. Do you know what I mean? I prefer the system in the 5; which reduces the height available when folded, but does hide all the mechanism and gives a flatish bulkhead.

5. I'd be interested to see some specs on the cargo area compared to the 5. Mazda quote litres to the window line, meaning a litres comparison is meaningless. The Orlando looks to have more room between the suspension intrusion in the back - I know my last generation 5 has 40 inches there. If someone could measure the width and height of the tailgate, the width between suspension struts, width over suspension struts, width at the middle-row and the length of the cargo hold with all seats, back folded, all folded, we could get a really good comparison going of the orlando versus the 5.

If Mazda can bring out a skyactived 5 they may be able to push sales back up. 155bhp, 150lb of torque, decent auto and a kerb weight about 50kg than the 2.5 should give enough of an economy gain to give up the extra power and really compete with other cars on fuel economy. Back of the napkin I'd predict 8.5, 6.0 for a skyactiv 5.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:50:59 pm »
Review  Grant Yoxon "And the budget starts at just $19,995 for the entry level Orlando LS, equipped with power windows, locks and remote keyless entry, four wheel disc brakes, ABS, stability control and traction control, CD player with MP3 and auxiliary audio inputs, block heater, tilt steering wheel, three auxiliary power outlets, manual transmission and 16-inch steel wheels."

No Air Con or Auto Transmission? Dodge Caravan CVP SE MSRP $19,995 gets you both

Now you ask about Fuel economy?

Review  Grant Yoxon "My combined fuel consumption for a week of mostly around town driving was 11.7 L/100 km"
Review Chris Chase "the Orlando delivered impressive real-world fuel efficiency, averaging 11 L/100 km, in mostly city driving, "

I have a 2012 Dodge Caravan CVP and have been regularly doing 10.5L/100kms and that is with a 3.6L V6 with 283HP

The kicker is I paid $16,500 for it new + transport and taxes. I really don't see the point of this van in Canada as long as Dodge offers more for less as opposed to the GM Orlando of less for more. Call me biased. Obviously  ;)
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline dewey9315

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »
Pretty sure Chrysler can only sell a van for 17K for so long before they realize they need to make more than fifty bucks per copy.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 08:32:10 am »
Pretty sure Chrysler can only sell a van for 17K for so long before they realize they need to make more than fifty bucks per copy.
nonsense...it's not like they are going to go bankrupt or...wait...nevermind. :P
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:04:20 am »
The kicker is I paid $16,500 for it new + transport and taxes. I really don't see the point of this van in Canada as long as Dodge offers more for less as opposed to the GM Orlando of less for more. Call me biased. Obviously  ;)

...which is true for the remaining time the Caravan has on this earth, if Chrysler's plans unfold departing this cheap and cheery model.  I was at the dealership chatting with the shuttle driver who said the Journey isn't picking up the SWB Caravan sales as they hoped.  The Journey is whooping a$$ in sales over the 5 etc etc from what hear, though.

The 5's sliding doors are both it's strength and weakness. I had a 2007 5GT and the sliders did it for me over the only other competition at the time, the Rondo with it's massive barn side-doors.  The Rondo's V6 almost swayed me over, as I found the 2.3 weak in the 5GT. 

Dudes that need hinges to assure themselves of their masulinity (I know a few personally) won't touch the 5 with a 10' pole - unless their was a MazdaSpeed5.  Zoom Zoom is dead, unfortunately. 
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:58:02 pm »
Interesting piece but this car is over priced and too thirsty. For this money, you could have a Camry Hybrid or Prius if hauling is your need. A nicely equipped Caravan with V-6 (and equal or better fuel consumption) is thousands less. However, it is a new GM model, the "incentives" are sure to follow.

As for fuel economy, it is worse than my 270 hp Acura. I regularly achieve 10.5 L / 100 km in Vancouver's absurdly heavy traffic.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:42:20 am »

The 5's sliding doors are both it's strength and weakness. I had a 2007 5GT and the sliders did it for me over the only other competition at the time, the Rondo with it's massive barn side-doors.  The Rondo's V6 almost swayed me over, as I found the 2.3 weak in the 5GT. 

Dudes that need hinges to assure themselves of their masulinity (I know a few personally) won't touch the 5 with a 10' pole - unless their was a MazdaSpeed5.  Zoom Zoom is dead, unfortunately.

My friends originally made comments about my car. The university students I'd employ seasonally also made the occasional disparaging remark due to the sliding doors. Then I drove 5 adult friends and myself to dinner. Or take three on a long roadtrip. Or help them move house. Or carry longer lumber than a friends double cab canyon. Now they affectionately term it the "daddy wagon" and it's chosen over an Infiniti EX for lift-sharing because it's got more room, bigger windows and a nice ride. Plus the sliding doors making getting in easy.

The 2.3 is a little weak, but I've driven far worse (2.25 NA diesel Landrover Defender springs to mind). The new one with the 2.5, more torque and the 6 speed I can imagine is an easier drive. Wish they'd bought the last-gen diesel over, 140bhp and 225lbf of torque. We'll see if the 5 gets a diesel in North America anytime... (Europe there's a 1.6, 115bhp and 199lbf, just seems slightly too weak).