Author Topic: Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences  (Read 110019 times)

Checkeredflag

Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences
« on: August 21, 2005, 04:00:15 pm »
Has anyone had any experiences rustproofing their car with Corrosion FREE's solution for rustproofing?

I came across their web site at http://www.corrosionfree.com/faqs.html and it seems like they use a different type of product than the conventional oil, tar or wax options available elsewhere.

From their site :
"Formula 3000 with CSC850 is clean, clear, drip-free, solvent-free, odor-free, non-toxic, a super lubricating metal conditioner with creeping and penetrating benefits - all in one formula. It is not a sealant that traps moisture, or an oil spray that rots rubber, damages plastic and tend to be messy and drippy. It contains active moisture displacers that last up to 18 months. Because it is clean and transparent you can actually see it preserving the original "factory new" appearance. It does not dry out, chip or peel off and its lubricating benefits continue indefinately."

The theory behind it sounds interesting but does it actually work?

Thanks!

autoauthority

Re: Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:48:45 am »
I live in Barrie and have had my entire fleet of pickups done by corrosion free.  Frankly, I dont understand how Krown or any of the other drippy places are still in business.  My trucks are 9 or 10 years old and no signs of rust.  The non drip corrosion free really works.  I was told by everyone I know that "if it doesn't drip it doesn'twork".  This is BS.  The guy at corrosion free preformed a test for me because i was so leary on non drip stuff.  He sqeezed 2 pieces of sheet metal together with 2 C-clamps and sprayed the edges with corossion free.  He gave it to me to take home only to bring it back the next day to open it up to see if it "creeps".  Itcovered the entire 4" x 4" sheet.  The Krown guys should do their homework before the shoot their mouths off.  Needless to say, if it doesn't drip off the truck into the lakes, AND it works better by staying on the truck (underbody) its a no-brainer. Run the sheets under water and it stays on too. You would think I work for them! I dont, but I hate to see oil dripping of cars trucks and buses into our drains and into the lakes.  It pisses me off that their allowed to do this.  Krown does seem to have a popular name, but I think thats due to the $$$ they spend on adds and their sales people.  They actually came to me to ask if I wanted my trucks done by them.  I would definately go with corrosion free.  Did I mention that you only have to get it sprayed every 18 months AND their warranty covers brake lines and gas tanks.  Krown cant because it drips off the bottom of your vehicle when it rains.   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:25:59 pm by autoauthority »

barrie1

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:47:27 pm »
Autoauthority Welcome to the Forum, Many of us have used the Krown process so far and have found it quite good but I will look at the products by Corrosion Free. In the London area we have No shops of that name that I am aware of but will look further into their products. I usually use the drippy type but park on a gravel road for a few hours after the application of it to save a mess on the asphalt at home. I have not had any problems with almost any of the products I have used over the years and have No rust on my older vehicles either. Usually the mess is the most serious of issue's I have ever encountered myaseelf. What kind of trucks do you run?  :)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:44:38 pm »
Autoauthority Welcome to the Forum, Many of us have used the Krown process so far and have found it quite good but I will look at the products by Corrosion Free. In the London area we have No shops of that name that I am aware of but will look further into their products. I usually use the drippy type but park on a gravel road for a few hours after the application of it to save a mess on the asphalt at home. I have not had any problems with almost any of the products I have used over the years and have No rust on my older vehicles either. Usually the mess is the most serious of issue's I have ever encountered myaseelf. What kind of trucks do you run?  :)

Canadian Tire applies Corrosion Free
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:18 pm »
That's a good point about the Krown stuff dripping everywhere. I've not seen the stuff first hand as it's not needed out here. But from reading about it, it sounds like a very messy process. Surely there must be some environmental angle that would prevent many people from promoting its use. I don't remember anybody mentioning that the Krown stuff is non-toxic.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

barrie1

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:43:20 pm »
Good point Cord as the Krown is known to do a good job for sure but it must pass our Envirolmento Laws also in order to be appled I would think also. I would suspect that of all of the products on the market would be held to a high standard of some degree but could be wrong. Definitely some methods are of dubuoius quality as just straight dirty used oil which has been used in the past is not all the friendly unlike some of the newer products.  :)

Offline Red Line

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 87 Charger, 95 civic HB, 91 Civic, 96 Accord, 2004 Vibe
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:28:54 pm »
IMHO, rust proofing that runs or leaks is not a bad idea.  Sure it's a little messy but at least the oil travels everywhere, even hard to reach corners, and bonds to the vehicule's metal.  Grease will only protect where it's been applied, and if you have small rocks constantly hitting the underside of the car (or fenders) eventually the undercarriage will loose its protective grease coating, whereas the oil protection will fill in any places where contact with foreign object has occurred.  There probably isn't any ''perfect'' rustproofing, but it's definitly better than nothing at all.

http://www.antirouille.com/en/huile_vs_graisse/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:30:53 pm by Red Line »
Red Line

echo7

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:13 pm »

Canadian Tire applies Corrosion Free

hmm  is that the gel like oil. a person living in our condo had his car done at ct, and he showed it to me its like gel..

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:58:00 am »
 ;)...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

BEM

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 02:00:38 am »
Hope Corrosion free is cleaner and still works well.

I have used Krown before several times but not a happy customer now.

Not sure what was used but four month later now after the rainiest season on record and the road is still a oily mess. Pretty embarrassing. Glad its not in driveway. Never had this before. Been under the truck and not much coverage on the open frame to be seen or felt, its like it is dry but I was there when it was sprayed and there sure was lots of fog in the air and the vehicle dripped like crazy for a day or two hence the mess on the road but in the past this was gone after a rain or two. We've had enough rain this time to encourage ark building this season. What A mess on the road. But it seems to have wash off the truck underbelly and it was not used in most of the rain we had. What gives? Not a happy camper again.

They say spring is best time to have a Krown application; but as I see it, protection will not be there for the winter salt. I mostly use the garage in winter and the vehicle is in a real need of a treatment because of the warmer temps for salt to work while in the garage.
At this point I do not even want to call Krown to be given a free reapplication of this stuff. That’s how I feel at this point.

I since have heard that the Krown formula had been changed for the environment and was in the process of change once again. (looking at the road how could this be better for the environment)

Since this application alot of talk about people leaving Krown including dealers and going with "corrosion free".
I was wondering how good Crrosion Free is and if it worked but as usual most is up to the applicator doing an honest job.

The other thing I have to worry about now is my rubber door seals and brake lines being damaged by Krown.
After the past applications I have noticed the door seals seems softer and longer like it has stretched some.

Just goes to show that you have to be on guard all the time. Now I will be very reluctant to use anything at all.
Corrosion free is applied every 18 months but at a much higher cost $149.00  (Canada) and I thought Krown was to expensive at $129.00 for a little pickup.

curls

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 11:06:09 am »
I live in Barrie and have had my entire fleet of pickups done by corrosion free.  Frankly, I dont understand how Krown or any of the other drippy places are still in business.  My trucks are 9 or 10 years old and no signs of rust.  The non drip corrosion free really works.  I was told by everyone I know that "if it doesn't drip it doesn'twork".  This is BS.  The guy at corrosion free preformed a test for me because i was so leary on non drip stuff.  He sqeezed 2 pieces of sheet metal together with 2 C-clamps and sprayed the edges with corossion free.  He gave it to me to take home only to bring it back the next day to open it up to see if it "creeps".  Itcovered the entire 4" x 4" sheet.  The Krown guys should do their homework before the shoot their mouths off.  Needless to say, if it doesn't drip off the truck into the lakes, AND it works better by staying on the truck (underbody) its a no-brainer. Run the sheets under water and it stays on too. You would think I work for them! I dont, but I hate to see oil dripping of cars trucks and buses into our drains and into the lakes.  It pisses me off that their allowed to do this.  Krown does seem to have a popular name, but I think thats due to the $$$ they spend on adds and their sales people.  They actually came to me to ask if I wanted my trucks done by them.  I would definately go with corrosion free.  Did I mention that you only have to get it sprayed every 18 months AND their warranty covers brake lines and gas tanks.  Krown cant because it drips off the bottom of your vehicle when it rains.   

This reeks of SPAM.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:51:07 am »
 :iagree: :spam:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

barrie1

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:01:22 pm »
Almost sounds like a dealer of the product.  :D

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 09:33:08 am »
And he's disappeared! No response... Twilight Zone Music playing

barrie1

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 09:05:53 pm »
I hope his fleet of trucks were all GM's tho.  :) ;D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34:59 am »
I usually rust treat our vehicles when new. We keep them an average of eight years. I have used Ziebart mostly...dont want to go back every year for oil treatment although this method might be better. I suspect that nothing is perfect but have no complaints so far. Any treatment is better than none probably but it is important that the treatment is not skimped on. How one can check for quality of application is a problem I think.

barrie1

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 05:21:37 pm »
I don't think many of these products last forever on the bottom of our vehicles but in the doors and certain crevices it probably lasts almost forever. i had one car undercoated inside and out. Inside being in the doors and panels and had so much oil in them they bled for 6 months while we were trying to refinsh the lower part of the car. Therer was only some very mild rust spots on the car but I didn't like to see it on there at all.  :)

JRS

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »
The warranty is worthless!!

After a bit of research, I decided to go with Corrosion Free here in Nova Scotia, the rust captial of the world.  I think the product is decent, but I am very displeased with the company and their lies.  One of the main reasons I chose it was for the warranty-- it even covers the brake lines and cables!  My parking brake cable siezed up, so I asked the dealer who applied it and he said, "Sure, just get the work done and send CF the receipt for reimbursement."  After a couple of months of arm twisting (getting no response at all from CF), the dealer got involved (I had referred about a dozen friends to him) and they paid the $300 or so, but only after advising me that there was only one claim allowed on a vehicle!  About a year later, Toyota had a recall on their 2004 Sienna Vans because the cables that hold the spare tire were rusting out.  I thought mine would be fine because I had CF applied regularly.  The Toyota dealer said that the cables on some of the vans they had inspected were okay, but mine was not!  CF did not protect it!  This year, I took both of my vheicles to Krown.  It did drip for a a few days, but that was not a big deal. CF is an okay product-- my cars would be worse without it; but I used them because of their superior warranty-- ha ha! I am through with them.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 07:42:31 am »
I don't believe that it works. Krown has worked for me. Car has over 180,300km (7.5 years old, owned since day one) and I have no rust on the car. I get it treated every year.

I look at it this way, it's basically $10 a month. My mechanic said it works as cars your age are usually rotting underneath.

I'm happy with Krown and will continue to use their product. When my GF gets her new car, it will be treated as well as she's seen how it's worked well on my car.

Rusty

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 02:54:10 pm »
We picked up a brochure for this product at Canadian Tire and plan to have our car sprayed soon.
We have just read an Article in MONEYSENSE (Dec/Jan 2011)  which quotes "About two years ago the Canadian army tested every rust-proofing brand on the market" Top Pick was Corrosion FREE's Formula 3000, with an 83% success rate. Other brands rated as low as 28%.  Wash your car's undercarriage before taking it in, and stay away from sprays that are thick or waxy "Those promote air pockets, and that's where you get rust".