Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Chrysler 300S  (Read 11841 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Chrysler 300S
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:05:55 am »

Stylish, comfortable, luxurious, powerful and patriotic, the Ontario-built Chrysler 300S comes with a monochromatic exterior.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Chrysler 300S
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:40 am »
I like the redo of this vehicle. I was never a fan of the egg-crate grill and think the new chrysler wing is much sleeker. Nice that they offer the red leather, which I think looks sharp in a black vehicle, like the Mustang GT a few years ago. The sky roof is cool too.

I wonder why the slight difference in output between the 300 C and the Charger R/T?

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:11 am »
I would pass on the red leather here - but a nice dark brown would suit me. I likes the tweak to the rear end of the car.

Last week I saw one with the Bentley grille in place and he also added the Audi running lights. I had to look twice because when I first saw it I thought it might very well be an Audi.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:02:45 am »
Aesthetically this is a huge improvement on the outgoing model inside and out.  Love the BIG display screen.

On the down side, that red interior is garish and they need to do better than a retro-tech five speed transmission on their flagship model.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:03 am »
i couldn't disagree more about the styling of this car.  this is not modern.  modern is creating something innovative or unique.   unfortunately, chrysler simply took the old design and placed what looks like a bunch of tack ons in a desperate attempt to change it's look enough to convince consumers chrysler is trying to move forward.  none of these tack ons, including the headlights and grille, acknowledge any relationship with the original overall design theme.

why does this car come to mind when i see the 300?  http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/#/ghost/

re: the v8.  ok lots of fun for the hooligan in each of us but seriously?  a v8, in this day and age, in a car aimed at that price point?   

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I know a few people that would not buy a vehicle with anything less than V8 (maybe a V6 in a commuter).  Call them out of date or out of touch but their consumer dollars are just as powerful as yours or mine.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:04 am »
i couldn't disagree more about the styling of this car.  this is not modern.  modern is creating something innovative or unique.   unfortunately, chrysler simply took the old design and placed what looks like a bunch of tack ons in a desperate attempt to change it's look enough to convince consumers chrysler is trying to move forward.  none of these tack ons, including the headlights and grille, acknowledge any relationship with the original overall design theme.

why does this car come to mind when i see the 300?  http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/#/ghost/

re: the v8.  ok lots of fun for the hooligan in each of us but seriously?  a v8, in this day and age, in a car aimed at that price point?   

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I know a few people that would not buy a vehicle with anything less than V8 (maybe a V6 in a commuter).  Call them out of date or out of touch but their consumer dollars are just as powerful as yours or mine.

I don't see anything wrong with a V8 in a large rear wheel drive sedan no matter what the price point.  Long live the V8!! ha ha.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:57 am »

I agree that overall, the shape and design are not stunningly "modern", but the details definitely are:  the shape of the HID headlights and the HID/LED combo, the grille, plus the more angled rake of the windshield are all more modern than the original. Initially, I didn't think much of the redesign, but it grows on me and i find it a definite improvement.

we were really hoping for the Pentastar & 8-speed auto combo to test, because with this throwback engine (and 5-speed), it is simply a (extra) low-volume niche model, and not even a halo with the SRT8 around... it's questionable whether this V8 model is even necessary with an drivetrain combo as good as the Pentastar-8-speed, but the power gap from V6 to SRT8 might simply be too much for them to leave wide open, especially with the Genesis R-spec around to offer a RWD V8 to any throwback fans looking for that configuration without heading to a luxury brand.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:09 am »
Ditto
Didn't you just test the Charger, pretty much the same car mechanically, a few weeks ago.
Why doesn't Chrysler want you to review the V6, 8 Speed, AWD.
IMO that set up could be a winner!

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
Yes, it is a definetly a car for "out of date or out of touch" guys. This "chopped" design with obsolete mechanics from old MB and the rusted glory of HEMI is not modern and competitive car. Imitation of Euro-luxury interior with orange-brown leather doesn/t help as well. Being owned from Italian manufacturer which cars are traditionally good looking, Chryslers are simply faceless...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40:10 am »

Agreed - there's still a market for big V8 powered sedans.  Hyundai certainly hopes so.

Jaeger

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:45:40 am »
Still looks like a Mafia car to me. Maybe Fiat was afraid to kill it... ::)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:16:41 pm »

People loved the original styling, but didn't love the lack of visibility from the upright windshield and narrow greenhouse. So Chrysler addressed this with a more raked windshield and larger glass area. They kept much of the "gangsta" and added some sophistication to the styling and, especially, the interior. They expect more women will consider the car now too. I think they nailed it...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21:25 pm »
I would pass on the red leather here - but a nice dark brown would suit me. I likes the tweak to the rear end of the car.

Last week I saw one with the Bentley grille in place and he also added the Audi running lights. I had to look twice because when I first saw it I thought it might very well be an Audi.

Those running lights are standard and are even starting to appear on cars like the Kia Rio 5 (top model)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 12:39:39 pm »
A buddy wanted to buy a 300C a few years so we took one out for a test drive. Good power from the "hemi", lots of kit for the price and the dealer would have bent backwards for the sale. He hated it for the same reason I did, handled like a tranquilized hippo, brakes were horrid, the interior finishes were cheap and no matter what he tried he couldnt get the traction control off. Hopefully theyve remedied some of this cars problems for this generation.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 12:45:23 pm »
Anybody remember the Volvo S60 R that came with orange seats? Overall not a bad car, but that interior would have killed resale. I think the red leather is a boutique style that might be suited to a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper - it's less convincing in a great big V8 sedan. However, those who are seeking the retro appeal might like it. Hey, it's an option, I'm sure you can get black leather if you prefer.

If I won the lottery or had an unlimited gas card this would be a good highway car. Comfortable, stable, quiet, roomy and powerful. I also think it's quite stylish, although I find the luxurious appointments on the 300C suit the car better than the blacked-out headlight trim and BMW-esque wheels on this S version. With gas at $1.31/L and looking like its going to climb, you better be darn certain you want all that this car has to offer...'cause it's gonna cost you!

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 12:51:06 pm »
To my eyes this is one of the better looking cars available in NA today.  It is unique in a sea of overly curved, rounded and creased designs with those oversized headlamps many manufacturers have been coming out with lately.  I hope it's just a passing fad.  One exception, other than some great looking Euro designs of course, might be the Kia Optima.  Although vastly different from the 300, it also stands out and has lots of character. 

Although I do like interiors that are not grey or beige, this shade of red is rather garish.  But I remember as a kid my cousin's 1959 Dodge Viscount with red interior.  It looked great, a bit of an orangish red like some of the European sports cars and Corvettes of the day. 

Although I have no interest in a thirsty V8 in this day and age, regardless of great it may sound, the V6 with the 8 speed auto might not be a bad combo and worth some consideration.  I look forward to a review on it. 

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:48:36 pm »
I've seen some pretty nasty interiors over the years, but those BRIGHT RED seats definatley win 1st PRIZE in the UGLY CONTEST.
 IMO however , the 300's Beige/Brown interior combination looks very rich. What a difference !!

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »
I always expect to see mafia guys in dark blue suits, wearing sunglasses and carrying baseball bats get out of 300's  :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 03:35:04 pm »
I always expect to see mafia guys in dark blue suits, wearing sunglasses and carrying baseball bats get out of 300's  :rofl2:

That was certainly true of the previous generation where they laid on the mafia schtick pretty thick and heavy.  This new one, to my eye, is a bit more mature in its execution (cathouse-red interior excepted) and certainly less overtly Sopranos.

Jaeger

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Test Drive: 2012 Chrysler 300S
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 03:59:06 pm »
A buddy wanted to buy a 300C a few years so we took one out for a test drive. Good power from the "hemi", lots of kit for the price and the dealer would have bent backwards for the sale. He hated it for the same reason I did, handled like a tranquilized hippo, brakes were horrid, the interior finishes were cheap and no matter what he tried he couldnt get the traction control off. Hopefully theyve remedied some of this cars problems for this generation.

Then you never drove one. I put 90,000 km on mine and was always impressed with the handling and the very powerful brakes. The Hemi is just the icing on the cake.
The interior was crap, but the rest of the car easily drove better than anything else in its class.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons