Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1626487 times)

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3840 on: November 24, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »
Jeez...I am all for doing things properly and safely, but adding an outlet is about as simple as it gets. If you're not comfortable doing something like that, then by all means get it inspected or hire an electrician in the first place. But I won't buy into the "licensed inspection" racket...Do you honestly believe that a "pro" who might have any number of distractions on his mind is somehow safer than an educated and competent homeowner who can take his/her time and make sure everything is done safely?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3841 on: November 24, 2015, 01:38:42 pm »
LOL, following the code.  I always do.  Is there something illegal about putting a plug in the wall?

Just felt like needling somebody.  ;D

But just technically speaking, in Ontario a homeowner cannot make any addition whatsoever without taking out a permit which usually entails two visits from the Inspector on only one day of the week anywhere from 8:30 to 4:30 pm.   Their fee schedule is so complex that I'm not going to bother looking at it to find the exact amount but it's probably about $140.00 tax in for a single thing.  Electrical contractors pay about 1/2 that amount for the very same job, but if they are "top tier" the inspection usually doesn't occur.

My transfer switch fee was $270.  ::)    Normally, I would not take a permit out on "additions", but in the event of a fire either by electrical or NG source ANYWHERE in the house not related to the GEN,  the Insurance Company would see the GEN and they would automatically ask for the Inspection Certificate.  No certificate.  No payout.   :(

Other than fees $$$, some of the Inspectors can be real PIAs on the "letter of the code".  I had a heck of a time with my Inspector over "unbonded neutrals".  :P

IN SUMMARY,  it is essential on these DIY wiring alterations and additions that you KNOW NOTHING and it was existing prior.  Never confess to it.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3842 on: November 24, 2015, 01:42:13 pm »
Lol sure.   I asked a friend who is licensed he said I did it correct.   The bonus is after the fact it's so simple.   You are too paranoid.

But if I was adding a transfer switch for sure I would get it inspected.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: November 24, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »
Jeez...I am all for doing things properly and safely, but adding an outlet is about as simple as it gets. If you're not comfortable doing something like that, then by all means get it inspected or hire an electrician in the first place. But I won't buy into the "licensed inspection" racket...Do you honestly believe that a "pro" who might have any number of distractions on his mind is somehow safer than an educated and competent homeowner who can take his/her time and make sure everything is done safely?

And that has what, exactly, to do with the regulations currently in place?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3844 on: November 24, 2015, 01:53:07 pm »

You're right, I am not contesting the regulations - they are what they are and your interpretation of them is accurate.
I am just saying that they're silly and really only serve to generate permit revenue and keep the "pros" employed. I can totally muck up the brakes on my car on a DIY brake job and there is no inspection required. If I caused an accident would the insurance company try to dodge the claim? Maybe, but I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on....
I bet mechanics would be in favor of an inspection every time someone works on their brakes, auto insurance companies too...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3845 on: November 24, 2015, 02:22:49 pm »

You're right, I am not contesting the regulations - they are what they are and your interpretation of them is accurate.
I am just saying that they're silly and really only serve to generate permit revenue and keep the "pros" employed.

Taken out of context to make it sound like the CEO at VW talking.  :rofl2:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3846 on: November 24, 2015, 07:02:23 pm »
Lol sure.   I asked a friend who is licensed he said I did it correct.   The bonus is after the fact it's so simple.   You are too paranoid.

But if I was adding a transfer switch for sure I would get it inspected.

You're missing the gist of this.  The "code" is too over the top for simple jobs.  In your case you fished some Romex thru some dry wall.  No biggy.  However, you violated the code.  Technically, that Romex needs to be stapled to a stud behind the drywall.  But that is impossible since you are just fishing it thru and "technically" the Romex could be resting on the drywall inside the wall cavity and some later owner could hang a picture in that spot and drive a nail thru the drywall and nail the Romex.  Ok, this is extremely improbably, but technically it's contrary to the code and the Inspector would flag it.

So the point is just keep the alterations and additions to one's self because it's not the ESA one is concerned about, it's your insurance company, even in the case of a loss completely UNRELATED to the alteration.

I got an inspection for the Transfer Switch not for some Inspector to check my work.  Because there is so much wiring it is virtually impossible to check it unless one took it all apart.  I paid for the Inspection because in case of an unrelated fire/gas leak/what have you, the insurance adjuster will see the GEN SET and automatically ask for a Certificate just as a matter of course.

All my Inspector did was verify that all equipment was ULC or Canada approved and not to high or to low off the ground.  Then he started in on me about "unbonded neutrals" and for a wee time there it looked like he was going to deny the job.   So annoying. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3847 on: November 24, 2015, 07:38:58 pm »
Actually Steve you are wrong.   You do not have to staple it to the studs when it's a retrofit.   Look it up.   My friend is a licensed electrician I asked him that very question.   

Really the stapling is to avoid stupid people attaching drywall from hitting the electrical,  once it is in the cavity it is okay to do.   A licensed electrician will not staple either.  So green flag :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:41:03 pm by wing »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: November 24, 2015, 08:55:49 pm »
Actually Steve you are wrong.   You do not have to staple it to the studs when it's a retrofit.

Ok.  I'll take that as a fact.

Then to whom it may concern: remove all "home depot/home hardware labels" from receptacles and never admit it officially because everything requires a permit and any liability, no matter how remote, will come back at you. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3849 on: November 24, 2015, 08:56:09 pm »
Actually Steve you are wrong.   You do not have to staple it to the studs when it's a retrofit.   Look it up.   My friend is a licensed electrician I asked him that very question.   

Really the stapling is to avoid stupid people attaching drywall from hitting the electrical,  once it is in the cavity it is okay to do.   A licensed electrician will not staple either.  So green flag :)

"Actually Steve you are wrong"

We need a thread with that subject title!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: November 24, 2015, 09:00:23 pm »
Start one.  Ok with me.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: November 25, 2015, 12:31:35 am »
Bought IQ a Shark Evoline 3 flip up helmet.  Scored a perfect 5/5 for safety during SHARP testing.  I've been wanting one for myself, but I came across a deal to good to pass up in her size.  So she gets to be my Gear Tester.   ;D

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3852 on: November 25, 2015, 10:43:54 am »
Getting me a cold rush machine
Crazy Greenshield, we phone Greenshield to see if my benefits cover this machine ,
they said yes up to $300. to buy it locally it would have been about $350 plus shipping,
I found a place in Alberta and it was $299 including shipping. So I got it online from Alberta,
 put the claim in , greenshield  would only cover $250 since it was bought out of province .
 That is just crazy  ::)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3853 on: November 25, 2015, 11:12:41 am »

I believe a homeowner is allowed to change a switch or a light fixture without an inspection, but that's about it.  Receptacles are highly technical devices apparently
Mr Pickypants

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3854 on: November 25, 2015, 11:49:31 am »
Speaking of switches.  I just changed the one in the powder room.  Got sick of the kids asking me to turn on the light for them.  Put in an occupancy sensor.  Set it to go off after 5 min.  Will probably do that for the basement as well. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: November 26, 2015, 05:38:10 pm »
New beard oil on the way!!  The place in the US I normally bought my stuff at is no loner affordable with exchange, increased shipping etc.  All said in done it would come to $70 now for a mere 30ml.

I am very pleased to have found a Canadian beard oil maker that has stellar reviews.  http://www.mammothbeard.ca/

For those that care...I'll keep everyone posted!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3856 on: November 26, 2015, 06:29:33 pm »
Got these gloves for darling-daughter as part of her X-mas gift basket.  Best gift ever for a ski instructor?

http://www.outdoorresearch.ca/ca_en/lucent-heated-glovestm.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: November 26, 2015, 06:37:25 pm »
^^Love them because of lifetime, no haggle warranty.  Although a bit expensive for gloves IMO.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3858 on: November 26, 2015, 06:42:55 pm »
^^Love them because of lifetime, no haggle warranty.  Although a bit expensive for gloves IMO.

I really put gear through the wringer and found OR quality to be top notch, but when something does go sideways, I've never had better customer service from ANY company regardless of product.

And yeah, they're expensive.  Sometimes I splurge.  I have a pair and they're frickin' amazing.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #3859 on: November 27, 2015, 10:20:59 am »
Black Friday was expensive.

Ipad Air 2 ( $100 off at staples)
Klipsch Headphones
250GB SSD
Bluetooth Dongle
And a Moto X Play (though that is admittedly something whose cost is mostly covered by warranty)