Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Mazda6 GT-I4  (Read 9969 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Mazda6 GT-I4
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:06:10 am »

The Mazda6 is still a competitive family sedan, says Jonathan Yarkony, despite being on the cusp of a complete redesign.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Mazda6 GT-I4
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:38:39 am »
Seems a bit pricey for what you get, especially powertrain wise.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:13 am »
I hope Mazda will still offer a V6 engine in the next generation. SkyActive might be doing very well on the fuel economy side but it is also very weak on performances based on the CX5 achievements. We had a couple of Mazda6s and it will take far more than a SkyActive powertrain to even entice us to consider this brand again.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:49:46 am »
I personally liked the size and style of the previous generation 6.  It was more like a TSX in size.

The article mentions that the next generation 6 will have a diesel in our market.  Has Mazda officially said this?  Last I heard, they said one vehicle model will next year, but it won't be the 6, at least not right away.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:23:29 am »
167 lbs of torque, driving 3400 pounds...Hmm..A recipe for boredom...But, I really like everything else about this car...Love the styling...
  You'd think a modern car manufacturer in these day of frugal fuel consumption  would be capable of offering a decently powerful 4 cylinder engine...Shame
                                        Jack

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:10 am »
I hope Mazda will still offer a V6 engine in the next generation. SkyActive might be doing very well on the fuel economy side but it is also very weak on performances based on the CX5 achievements. We had a couple of Mazda6s and it will take far more than a SkyActive powertrain to even entice us to consider this brand again.

Mazda has said they are killing the V6 engine in their entire lineup when the new 6 and CX-9 disappear.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:12:46 am »
167 lbs of torque, driving 3400 pounds...Hmm..A recipe for boredom...But, I really like everything else about this car...Love the styling...
  You'd think a modern car manufacturer in these day of frugal fuel consumption  would be capable of offering a decently powerful 4 cylinder engine...Shame
                                        Jack

You just described practically every I4 midsize out there. :) I haven't driven the 6 but my 5 is about the same... what it lacks in power, it makes up for it with great driving dynamics.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:14:33 am »

Mazda has said they are killing the V6 engine in their entire lineup when the new 6 and CX-9 disappear.

Thank you for the info. That is very unfortunate.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »
I don't mind lightly powered sedans and compacts. I think they are suitable for the roads and conditions that I drive 98% of the time, and I sometimes wish I cold put 98% of other drivers in underpowered vehicles that handle well. And the 6 handles well enough that it is still fun, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it great — that's an adjective I'd save for the MX-5.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »
The sales charts don't lie. The current Mazda 6 is a non-entity in the midsize market. The Mazda 3 is a different story though...

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/04/canada-car-sales-march-2012-ytd.html
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »
The chart below gives a nice overview of  where car sales in Canada are going. While Hyundai/Kia have a laudable  5 spots in the top 20, worthy of note are stellar sales of the new Civic (#1 small car) and new Camry (#1 midsize car, knocking off the Sonata). My favourite stat by far, however, is the Kia Optima's YTD  change of 2,555%! Gotta love that...

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/04/canada-best-selling-cars-march-2012.html

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »
I thought the previous generation Mazda6 was nicely styled, if more compact than others in its class, but this current one just seems bloated whenever I see one on the road (not that often). I wonder if Mazda will follow through on the diesel engine front.

I find it amusing that y'all are still testing cars with winter tires. For us in the Southeastern US, winter didn't really even happen this year, and the beginning of March marked temperatures consistently above 15°C-20°C. This was the first year since 2006 where I stuck with summer tires year round although it coincided with my move to NC from Virginia.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12353
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 03:54:24 pm »
Have they sold ANY of these over the last 3 years?  Man, I just about never see these things on the road. 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »
Have they sold ANY of these over the last 3 years?  Man, I just about never see these things on the road. 

Jaeger

327 in March in Canada to be exact. That is an "uptick" from mid-high 200s of recent months helped by 0/84 financing. Altima experienced a similar rise recently due to aggressive financing. I'm afraid the new model will have it's work cut out for it even if it's excellent.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:22:47 pm »
You can get the mechanically similar Ford Fusion S for $16,999.  :o

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 06:22:12 pm »
Heard some speculation last week that Chrysler-Fiat and Marchionne are quietly sizing up Mazda as a merger/acquisition target. Apparently the company is up for grabs.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:05 pm »
"the 5 speed automatic is $1200 option." Kudos to Mazda for offering a manual tranny in their midsize with a loaded trim level, not just relegating it to bargain basement trims like other makers...or just not even offering them at all. But then again, for the masses, some might get shocked/pissed to see an autobox not standard, sadly.

I really like the flowing, non-busy look of this generation's exterior (i also liked the previous design as well, especially in the MazdaSpeed 6). Alas though, if the new gen 6 looks anything like the Takeri concept then maybe people will actually start buying them....that, is a great design. Only personal experience i've had with this generation of mazda6 was a rental 2010 SE model 4 banger i was given while my tahoe was in the shop. Didn't exactly give it a boot (because it was a rental) so i cant really make out details about how it drove other than the fact that it is similar in characteristic to just about every other 4-cylinder midsize sedan i've driven from that gen (Camry, Accord etc.).

Do all other Mazda's from this generation and onward have those blue "accent rings" around the main gauges ? i mention this because one of the most infuriating features on the rental i had were those damn blue rings rimming the gauges, which horrifically clashed with the red backlighting to the point where it was distracting, and made quick glimpses of your speed while driving all but impossible...why did the needle housings themselves have to have a different colour then the backlighting, why does it have to be coloured at all?????

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »
One of  Mazda problems is that it is considering itself as the Japanese BMW without ever having earned these credentials. Mazda 6s are so much better cars than 3s but ironically Mazda failed to ever capture a big share of the market, one main reason being pricing. A fully loaded Mazda 6 (GT V6) flirts with the $40k and even if it has a couple of options other Japanese manufacturers don`t offer the pricing can be justified. 0% financing is great but not so much when the resale value sinks faster than the Titanic did...

We used to be the targeted Mazda customers, having owned a GT V6 and a Mazdaspeed 6. The problem is that Mazda failed to meet some of our expectations on the quality side and then on the value/product side. SkyActive will never bring me back to the brand as it means nothing to me (performance is more important to me than fuel economy). But then again I feel Mazda has turned its back to me just like VW turned its back to many of its loyal customers seeking for broader sales...

Mazda I4 engines have always trailed everyone else on the refinement aspect; it is ok for the 3 market but not so much for the midsize one...

Note to Mazda: please please loose the god awful dates red illumination. It kinda look cool first but then you get tired of it. And it is so passe...

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:32 pm »
One of the biggest problems Mazda has right now is the Yen and their lack of manufacturing outside of Japan. Until they (and Subaru) sort that they'll haemorrage money.

If the new 6 does not come with the diesel then I think they'll be screwed. However, the 173bhp 2.2l twin turbo diesel with 310lb feet of torque is getting rave reviews in Europe; I'd be really tempted by a 3, 5, 6 or cx-5 with a sky-activ diesel. Mazda were hurt on their 4 cylinders by their tie-in with Ford, the 2.0, 2.3 and later 2.5 weren't really anything special compared to what Mazda were capable of.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:37 am »

Good point about the SkyActive diesel. This would allow Mazda to really stand out.

All 4 cylinder engines you mentioned were developed by Mazda and used by Ford. I don't think Ford had any negative impact on these engines development. The Mazdaspeed turbo engine was unique to Mazda and there are reported cases of pistons going through the engine block. Mazda just put in place an extended warranty for the VVT and timing chain for that engine. Unfortunately Mazda engines, IMO, have always been a bit behind the competition.