Author Topic: Comparison Test: Three-Row Crossovers  (Read 28394 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Three-Row Crossovers
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:30:00 am »

There's nothing wrong with practicality.
Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Comparison Test: Three-Row Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:44:31 am »
they sure can haul stuff, good for what they are needed to do

I could start my usual long rant about these vs superior wagons...or how if you have one kid YOU DONT NEED A 7 SEATER, but I will save everyone time and  :run:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:26:08 am »
lots of really good choices in this segment, so the top half of the standings weren't really a surprise...as an owner of a current Sorento, i too can attest to it being a very decent vehicle, especially when warranty and pricing (ad 0% interest) are brought into the equation.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:45:37 am »
I know this may sound odd but the one thing that stood out to me was the calculated 7 grand trade-in value for a 6-7 year old Grand Caravan.  In what world is that possible? 

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 11:48:20 am »

I could start my usual long rant about these vs superior wagons...or how if you have one kid YOU DONT NEED A 7 SEATER, but I will save everyone time and  :run:

I liken this to folks who shop for a house with more bedrooms than they'll ever need because their in-laws will be staying over a few times per year. 

In other words, they may be carrying a gaggle of kids a few times per year and want to be prepped when that happens....and are willing to pay a premium for that.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 11:49:04 am »
I know this may sound odd but the one thing that stood out to me was the calculated 7 grand trade-in value for a 6-7 year old Grand Caravan.  In what world is that possible?

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/dodge/grand%20caravan/?prx=-1&prv=Ontario&loc=Toronto%2c+ON&sts=New-Used&yRng=2008%2c2010&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 11:53:50 am »
FWIW, my picks are:
1) Sorrento
2) Highlander
3) Pilot
4) Pathfinder
5) Explorer
6) Durango
7) Traverse*
*nah... I'd never buy or recommend it.

The Sorento is amazing - and if not for the value equation, I'd take the Highlander over it - that's the vehicle that impressed me the most.  The Pathfinder's interior is bootiful, but needs a bit of an update. The materials, however, are pure Infiniti and the CVT was my favorite transmission of the day.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 12:41:15 pm »
Nice write up guys! I particularly like the monthly payment thing at the end - hopefully this will be a new trend! If I could make a recommendation on that point as well though and add one more row for monthly lease price. $0 down for 48 months with 24,000kms I think would be a fair standard. I would also skip any downpayments on the finance terms as well.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:44 pm »
nice review! popular segment, whether we all agree with it or not...

i'm one who weighs options/style very differently than most reviewers, so i have different opinions... but i found the write ups good enough that i could still glean quite a bit of info from them without having to agree with it 100%. always tough to do with comparisons like this, so kudos!

i think i would be sorento, durango, highlander for my podium... can't disagree with much of what you guys said though, i just weigh things differently.

did you find the start/stop feature on the durango kicked in much? we haven't had any of the 3.6 pentastars with s/s come in yet to test out. not my favourite feature, but some people like it.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 01:01:51 pm »
Nice work guys!

Not the first time I hear bad comments on sound quality in the Pilot... I don't get the point of all the high-tech media interfaces in mass-market cars if the sound quality can't reach 20% of what my all-analog 1986 Celica had.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:20:36 pm »

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/dodge/grand%20caravan/?prx=-1&prv=Ontario&loc=Toronto%2c+ON&sts=New-Used&yRng=2008%2c2010&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

autotader.ca is retail used car pricing.

50 - 60% of that is more realistic in terms of trade in value - especially when talking about Grand Caravan .

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 01:23:02 pm »
Regardless, the Dodge Grand Caravan was more tongue in cheek than anything else, we're just basing it on about a $7,000 trade in. We could have said 4-5 year old and been more accurate I suppose, but we didn't. It's really not a key factor in the review...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:49 pm »
I would also skip any downpayments on the finance terms as well.
yea, i think a straight up payment option would be best...perhaps even select a longer term than 60 months since most people go with the longer options now (72/84 months seems to be the standard now).

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 01:28:15 pm »
Been looking forward to this review for awhile.  I predicted the rank of all the contenders, except the Highlander and Pathfinder.  I thought they would be reversed.  Especially when reading both of the back to back again, more complaints show up in the Pathfinder.  Crazy finance rates on the Highlander.  It's over 2 years old and they want 4.5% on 60 months.  With Hondas brand new Pilot, its a hair less at 4%, but that's more understandable for a new gen vehicle. 

I really liked the fact sheet at the end.  When comparing the cargo capacity and passenger room with the Highlander and Pilot, I wasn't expecting such a difference.  The KIA is noticeably smaller than the 3 domestics. 

I suspect if the Pilot had better infotainment controls, that came with navigation, it would have taken 1st place. 

Looking forward for the defending champ to spar with the upcoming CX-9, and Santa Fe XL. 

Well done guys!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 01:29:23 pm »
When JY said "let's add financing" I went - "Nah, no matter what we pick, people will ask for different numbers/say we assumed an average loan wrong/say our terms are crap/say we suck and they hope we die and it's use will be limited".

Thanks guys! JY owes me a twenty!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 01:31:57 pm »
yea, i think a straight up payment option would be best...perhaps even select a longer term than 60 months since most people go with the longer options now (72/84 months seems to be the standard now).

I disagree.  Maybe Cord and Tooscoops can contribute here.  I think the average is closer to 60 months.  I still won't go over 48 months. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 01:34:01 pm »
I really liked the fact sheet at the end.  When comparing the cargo capacity and passenger room with the Highlander and Pilot, I wasn't expecting such a difference.  The KIA is noticeably smaller than the 3 domestics. 
you really need to see it in person to judge for yourself if the space is adequate...keep in mind, ours is the 5 seater, not the 7 seater, but there is a lot of room back there for both people (we've had friends mention they were surprised how much room is back there) and cargo space...in terms of 7 seaters, it likely does have the least rear cargo space, but it's also a bit smaller externally than most other 7 seater vehicles (kind of a tweener size)...however, it competes very well with interior cabin space and actually has more passenger room than all but the Highlander.

the other issue is there doesn't seem to be an official "standard" to measure cargo, so some vehicles look big on paper, but small in person (and vice versa)...in short, the Sorento certainly isn't the Canyonaro of the group, but not everyone needs a barge.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 01:36:25 pm »
When JY said "let's add financing" I went - "Nah, no matter what we pick, people will ask for different numbers/say we assumed an average loan wrong/say our terms are crap/say we suck and they hope we die and it's use will be limited".

Thanks guys! JY owes me a twenty!

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »

I disagree.  Maybe Cord and Tooscoops can contribute here.  I think the average is closer to 60 months.  I still won't go over 48 months.
nope.

The FCAC called the growth in long-term car loans “worrisome,” noting that the average new car loan last year had a term longer than 72 months, up from about 65 months in 2010.

http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/debt/canadians-getting-lured-onto-auto-debt-treadmill-by-signing-on-to-long-term-car-loans-watchdog

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 01:46:17 pm »
Great job folks.  Glad to see that you've incorporated suggestions from previous comparisons (the specs and pricing tables at the end).

One thing that struck me was the big wheels and low(ish) profile tires on some of the vehicles - in a class of vehicle where the benefits of low profile tires can't outweigh the drawbacks.   Especially on the Durango and Pathfinder.  I wouldn't be looking at any trim with wheels over 18", but I guess if you're into form over function...

Obviously no towing was done on this test, but any speculation how they would tow?  All have 5000+ lb ratings, but the Pathfinder CVT apparently has some towing issues (if you can believe internet chatter).

One more question - any particular reason why the Durango "drives so huge"?  Its specs list a very tight (for the class) turning radius of 5.6m.  Is it just a matter of visibility, or something else?