Author Topic: Product Review: Clek Foonf convertible car seat  (Read 13935 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Product Review: Clek Foonf convertible car seat
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:27:33 am »

The Clek Foonf feature revolutionary construction that you will not want to use, but design that you'll be proud of.

Read More...

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Product Review: Clek Foonf convertible car seat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:58:51 am »
Nice seat, but their bungling of the launch hurt them.  It won't fit rear facing in our MINI and sits too high to be practical forward facing.  We bought a Peg Perego PV Convertible and couldn't be happier.

Northernridge

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:22:33 pm »
...retail prices range from $449.99 to $524.99

Sort of like FGCs, there is no practical ceiling for what parents will pay for child safety products...must be a way to make money from this.  :)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »

Sort of like FGCs, there is no practical ceiling for what parents will pay for child safety products...must be a way to make money from this.  :)

Yep, the ol' "but it's got a higher price so it HAS to be safer!  And you're an absolute monster if you don't buy the safest possible thing!"

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer is considering putting an alarm system into his house, but once he finds out the price ($500) he kicks the salesman out the door.  Salesman: "But sir, can you really put a price on your family's safety?"  Homer: "Well, you wouldn't think so, but here we are!"

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:11:00 pm »
I've been there...when our kids were small we'd spare no expense like every other 'responsible' parent.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:15:19 pm »

Yep, the ol' "but it's got a higher price so it HAS to be safer!  And you're an absolute monster if you don't buy the safest possible thing!"

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer is considering putting an alarm system into his house, but once he finds out the price ($500) he kicks the salesman out the door.  Salesman: "But sir, can you really put a price on your family's safety?"  Homer: "Well, you wouldn't think so, but here we are!"

Me and the Mrs have both used that line when confronted with pushy sales people. We both got a kick out of the aghast faces when we said it.

Sometimes we'd follow up with:"It'd just be cheaper to pop out a new baby."  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 02:23:47 pm »
Me and the Mrs have both used that line when confronted with pushy sales people. We both got a kick out of the aghast faces when we said it.

Sometimes we'd follow up with:"It'd just be cheaper to pop out a new baby."  ;D

:fiver:
That is too awesome...

Offline jipsi

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • jipsi
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »
Jonathan, thank you very much for the review. I've heard nothing but good things about the Foonf, delayed launch aside. The price, while it's on the high end doesn't concern us the most, its the dimensions. Our youngest is rather tall for his age, almost 42" and 41lbs. and he's not even three yet. Our eldest is a teenager now, so we're safe there. The problem my wife and I have is finding products that fit our youngest comfortably and that will last, also in regards to car seats we need something that fits behind us in the car being that my wife is 6'2" and I'm 6'3", yes we're both tall as well. So finding something that will last awhile, ie: stroller, car seat etc has been a challenge to say the least. My wife was born and raised in Europe so we're of the small car mindset which sadly doesn't work for us anymore, either a Subaru Outback or Volvo XC70 is in our very near future. I love the design of the Foonf and the rest of the CLEK line, its just the narrow dimensions that scare me. We have a Bugaboo Cameleon stroller which we had hoped to get another year of use max out of which is sadly not to be because our son has already outgrown it, in fact he did so by the age of two. That was a $1,700 d'oh moment for me which is why I'm researching high and low for the best car seat solution. So thanks again for your review, its much appreciated. :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:48:31 pm »
I'm sure there is a FORTUNE to be made in a certified childs' car seat that allows 2 adults in the back of a CUV as well. Maybe there is one "skinny"  safe,certified such model seat available in Euro where cars are "tiny" and the whole family have to use them at the same time.And Foonf on the heavy V expensive stuff....way too much "porsche" type profit margin there.......................c'mon Rrocket manu one on a PRINTER.....I'll go halvies on the IPO ;D .

as an aside how many kiddies die now in accidents as compared with 5 years ago 10 years ago   hell 20 years ago..I'm sure some macarbe stats exist...............

My 2 year old grandaughter knows how to "snap" as she says the buckles OFF...and head to the biggest slide in the park....I'm signing her Up for WWF wrestling
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:51:59 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 04:53:49 pm »
Are the euro certified seats smaller,thinner than Cdn certified seats?

I bet that Saf, Rupert and I ( and a few who are coy about their age) all got to stand up in the front seat when we were in the car so we could see out.   Remember those steering wheels for kids that attached to the dashboard?

Much cheaper than car seats.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline chuchupika

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:55:39 pm »
Can't believe Canadian car forum is doing a story on car seats.  Why only do review of the Foonf?  Should do review for everyone else as well.  :)  It's not a Clek Foonf, it's a Magna Foonf. :)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:17:22 pm »
Can't believe Canadian car forum is doing a story on car seats.  Why only do review of the Foonf?  Should do review for everyone else as well.  :)  It's not a Clek Foonf, it's a Magna Foonf. :)

I plan to do more. Starting with the Safety First Air seat we own. Overall I like its functionality better than the Foonf.

My understanding is that Chris Lumley bought (or led a group that bought) the Clek brand and products from Magna and is marketing it apart from their business. He's a UWO alum that one of my colleagues went to school with.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:56 pm »
Jonathan, thank you very much for the review. I've heard nothing but good things about the Foonf, delayed launch aside. The price, while it's on the high end doesn't concern us the most, its the dimensions. Our youngest is rather tall for his age, almost 42" and 41lbs. and he's not even three yet. Our eldest is a teenager now, so we're safe there. The problem my wife and I have is finding products that fit our youngest comfortably and that will last, also in regards to car seats we need something that fits behind us in the car being that my wife is 6'2" and I'm 6'3", yes we're both tall as well. So finding something that will last awhile, ie: stroller, car seat etc has been a challenge to say the least. My wife was born and raised in Europe so we're of the small car mindset which sadly doesn't work for us anymore, either a Subaru Outback or Volvo XC70 is in our very near future. I love the design of the Foonf and the rest of the CLEK line, its just the narrow dimensions that scare me. We have a Bugaboo Cameleon stroller which we had hoped to get another year of use max out of which is sadly not to be because our son has already outgrown it, in fact he did so by the age of two. That was a $1,700 d'oh moment for me which is why I'm researching high and low for the best car seat solution. So thanks again for your review, its much appreciated. :)

Thanks!

My son is also fast outgrowing the infant seat at five months that lasted our daughter the whole first year....

Not sure if it will work for you, but the Elantra GT has surprising rear legroom for a small car. I was able to comfortably sit in front of our son's reverse-facing seat (though I'm only 5'10"), which I couldn't do in the CR-V and several other compact/mid-size vehicles. vehicles.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:35:50 pm »
Nice seat, but their bungling of the launch hurt them.  It won't fit rear facing in our MINI and sits too high to be practical forward facing.  We bought a Peg Perego PV Convertible and couldn't be happier.

I bought 2 Peg Perego Infant seats for our recently born twin daughters.  Couldn't be happier.  I'm 6' and it fits in my Protege behind me with 1" to spare.  Comparatively, the Britax equivalent wouldn't fit without moving the seat forward.  I find that it also has a lot to do with the vehicle you fit the seats in.  My sister's 2004 G35 sedan for instance has substantially less leg room than my Protege.  She was telling me from her experience that I may need a bigger car as she had to move the seat forward in her car to fit a seat.  She was quite surprised when I managed to fit the seats in my Protege.

That said, 2 infant seats have effectively turned our Protege and Rogue into 2 seaters.  Thankfully, if we have to do a long distance trip, I have access to my parents 1988 GMC Vandura 2500 Vantage Conversion Van.  I could fit 3 baby seats in the 3rd row bench and still seat 4 adults with tons of room to spare in that thing.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 07:51:34 pm »

I plan to do more. Starting with the Safety First Air seat we own. Overall I like its functionality better than the Foonf.

My understanding is that Chris Lumley bought (or led a group that bought) the Clek brand and products from Magna and is marketing it apart from their business. He's a UWO alum that one of my colleagues went to school with.

Awesome. I would like to see more car seat reviews!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:50 pm »
We may be approaching child seats all wrong.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Product Review: Clek Foonf convertible car seat
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
Are the euro certified seats smaller,thinner than Cdn certified seats?

I bet that Saf, Rupert and I ( and a few who are coy about their age) all got to stand up in the front seat when we were in the car so we could see out.   Remember those steering wheels for kids that attached to the dashboard?

Much cheaper than car seats.

I remember 8 people in a 4door mercury, as the youngest, I got to lie across the rear window shelf.

But I also remember the Chryslers with the mysterious hole in the dash by the drivers left knee, that magically was a perfect bottle opener.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:36 pm »

I suppose you could do it the Mitt Romeney-Seamus method too??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:22 pm »

I suppose you could do it the Mitt Romeney-Seamus method too??

WIN!

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 12:26:24 pm »
Just a heads-up, if anyone is interested these Clek Foonf seats are apparently $100 off at snugglebugz.ca, for today (May 25) only.  Now for the low, low, price of only $299! ::)  I don't know why it's listed as Canada Day deals though.

http://www.snugglebugz.ca/canada-day-deals.html