Author Topic: Lincoln Continental concept  (Read 14179 times)

Northernridge

Re: Lincoln Continental concept
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 05:19:04 pm »
Interesting effort that's for sure.

I'm digging the interior. The dash and centre stack are cool, I like the return of chrome. The door panels look good too, so do the seats. Just a sniff of retro in there. Nice.

The headlights and grill still look like a work in progress but I'm glad to see Lincoln experiment with a new grill treatment.

Sure, the segment is grandpa-digger but bring it on.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 05:31:23 pm »
The new full size Continental is scheduled for release in 2016. The MKS and its platform are supposed to be phased out over the next few years.

Lots of speculation over whether this new one will be a RWD or FWD platform.

I think it looks pretty damned good.

LOL the C&D article explains things:

Officially, the Continental is a concept. But you’ll see a production version next year. Our sources suggest that the new Conti won’t ride on the MKS/Taurus platform, which is also shared with the Lincoln MKT and Ford Flex, but rather on an enlarged version of the CD4 platform, which underpins the Fusion and MKZ.

An all-new full size car was supposed to be on the new D6 platform, which can accommodate fwd, rwd and awd for large cars and midsize crossovers. I hope this isn't another stopgap. It's still pretty speculative in any event.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 05:40:49 pm »
I'm actually loving this more now. I like the slab shape, and as much as I hate to admit, I could see myself forgoing stickshift for this car, before the age of 80. Maybe I'll buy one used in a few years time :P

Something about the styling - it's just got this presence or something. The interior does a good job of paying homage to yesteryear while being modern.

Snowman Lexus is for 70 :p... or if IS-F etc 30/40s

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 05:52:16 pm »
Very nice looking, at least on the outside. But wow, all that chrome would make a '58 Buick jealous... 8)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 05:56:01 pm »
There is comfort in knowing the accounts at GM will never let this happen.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 06:01:01 pm »

Yes because GM doesn't own Lincoln, and thank goodness  :stick: ;)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:25 pm »
That looks DAMN nice!!  I certainly hope they plan on keeping the "Continental" name and not follow suit with their current ridiculous nomenclature. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 07:01:25 am »

Yes because GM doesn't own Lincoln, and thank goodness  :stick: ;)

:-[ :rofl2:

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 08:17:57 am »
That looks DAMN nice!!  I certainly hope they plan on keeping the "Continental" name and not follow suit with their current ridiculous nomenclature.

Agreed. It's a storied name and they'd be dumb not to use it.

If only it had suicide doors...

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 08:19:01 am »
I want one, but 2-3 yrs old

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 08:45:23 am »
Very "Bentley-ish" in overall design, at least to me. 
I certainly hope they plan on keeping the "Continental" name
...so, maybe it's the lawyer in me, and I know Lincoln has had a Continental in the past...

...but doesn't Bentley also sell a vehicle called the "Continental"?

I guess the name isn't Trademarked and therefore it simply doesn't matter?  Then again, Apple made the iPhone 5S, and then Samsung made the S5.  Who cares.

The exterior has a bit of Jaguar and Saab, as stated, but the interior centre stack is pure Chrysler 200.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 08:51:04 am »
Very "Bentley-ish" in overall design, at least to me. 
I certainly hope they plan on keeping the "Continental" name
...so, maybe it's the lawyer in me, and I know Lincoln has had a Continental in the past...

...but doesn't Bentley also sell a vehicle called the "Continental"?

I guess the name isn't Trademarked and therefore it simply doesn't matter?  Then again, Apple made the iPhone 5S, and then Samsung made the S5.  Who cares.

The exterior has a bit of Jaguar and Saab, as stated, but the interior centre stack is pure Chrysler 200.

The Bentley Continental and Lincoln Continental have coexisted before. Bentley Continental R/T/SC was sold from '93 through '02, which is coincidentally when the last Lincoln Continental was discontinued.

Both companies also used the name in the '50s and '60s.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 09:42:03 am »
I'm digging the interior. The dash and centre stack are cool, I like the return of chrome. The door panels look good too, so do the seats. Just a sniff of retro in there. Nice.

totally agree.   
while the exterior does echo some other design elements, it still has a look of it's own.
meanwhile, something about the interior makes it look retro while still looking modern and classy. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 10:42:13 am »
The Bentley Continental and Lincoln Continental have coexisted before. Bentley Continental R/T/SC was sold from '93 through '02, which is coincidentally when the last Lincoln Continental was discontinued.

Apparently you missed my point.

I know THAT the name has been used concurrently, but I question the lack of value in having the name Trademarked.  More so why does Bentley not have an issue with Lincoln using it?

Northernridge

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 11:16:26 am »

Apparently you missed my point.

I know THAT the name has been used concurrently, but I question the lack of value in having the name Trademarked.  More so why does Bentley not have an issue with Lincoln using it?

How would you know what Bentley does or does not have an issue with...or Ford? There may be a current legal challenge, a previous one or an existing settlement, agreement etc. The lawyer in you would also know that international trademark laws are complex and vary between regions. The Continental moniker has been around for a long time and trademark laws will have evolved since its creation. It's virtually impossible that both companies do not understand their respective trademarks in minute detail and you would know better than me about their enthusiasm for protecting their IP. You also know that "Continental" with not be trademarked in isolation of the entire name and insignia. To which there are other examples in the automotive world where competing brands use similar nomenclature in part of their product names.

I'm just a boneheaded adman and I can conjure up better legal speculation.  ;)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 11:23:56 am »
The first Lincoln Continental was introduced in 1939 and was powered by a 4.8L flat head V12.

The Bentley Mark IV on which the Continental R was based was introduced for 1952. Powered by a 4.6L F head inline 6.

To my eye, the 1941 Lincoln pictured looks more modern that the 1952 Bentley.

1952 Bentley Continental R,

Edit, sorted out the images
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:36:18 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:54 am »
I have no real interest in the car per se, but as others have mentioned - damn it's nice to see Lincoln sticking with an ACTUAL name!

It seems very ironic to me that Caddy and Lincoln are advertise about marketing their vehicles to "leaders" and "going your own way" and all this "self-confident American luxury" crap.  But it's such a transparent marketing ploy, because the companies themselves are too timid and afraid to buck industry norms and show leadership themselves. 

Lincoln/Caddy executive meeting: "All the other luxury car companies have move to alphanumeric names.  It helps brand recognition - no one knows what an X6 sDrive 35i is, so the owner just calls it a BMW"

"But American luxury cars have had real names in the past, it's the Germans and Japanese that called their vehicles the ABC123.  We've got storied nameplates that date back generations.  Sure they sucked recently, but we can turn them around and keep the names"

"Screw that, it'll be too much work.  Let's just hire Johan de Nysschen - he's doing such a great job turning around Infiniti..."  :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 11:55:29 am »
How would you know what Bentley does or does not have an issue with...or Ford? There may be a current legal challenge, a previous one or an existing settlement, agreement etc. The lawyer in you would also know that international trademark laws are complex and vary between regions. The Continental moniker has been around for a long time and trademark laws will have evolved since its creation. It's virtually impossible that both companies do not understand their respective trademarks in minute detail and you would know better than me about their enthusiasm for protecting their IP. You also know that "Continental" with not be trademarked in isolation of the entire name and insignia. To which there are other examples in the automotive world where competing brands use similar nomenclature in part of their product names.

I'm just a boneheaded adman and I can conjure up better legal speculation.  ;)
This is not worth the effort bantering.  I did not speculate, but pondered the intelligence of reviving that name.  BMW and Infiniti fought over the use of "M" - so yes, "Continental" can be trademarked in isolation.

By reviving the car again, it raises another legal battle that could ensue (no pun intended).

Anyhoo, who cares.  I was confused when I first read the title, then remembered that both companies have a "Continental".

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 12:08:15 pm »
Continental Tires.

- just throwing that out there  :-*
  Ford and Bentley aren't the only ones Continental

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:23 pm »
Trademarks must be on similar wares.  Tires are not the same thing as automobiles (though the latter employs the former).  Breakfast literally has nothing to do with automobiles.

*sigh* this is why I shan't be writing a legal column for any publication.