Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Subaru's Lineartronic CVT vs 6-Speed Manual in the WRX  (Read 30793 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Northern Exposure: Subaru's Lineartronic CVT vs 6-Speed Manual in the WRX
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »
The 5.5 0-60 would be a deal beaker for me unless you could tune that nonsense out of it.

Subie probably does that to preserve the tranny. Im sure you could tune it to the high heavens but you would probably start breaking stuff (read: expensive, Subaru CVT stuff.)

i don't think i actually ever cracked into 5 second range....    probably a few times in 6's....

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:15 pm »
Justin, as a fellow Justin, I felt the need to join just to assure you of something: The CVT WRX is indeed slower than the WRX. Quite a bit slower too.

From car and driver:
"At the test track, this CVT-equipped WRX lagged the stick version, the quarter-mile taking 14.3 seconds at 99 mph, or 0.7 second and 3 mph behind the manual. Unable to launch the auto WRX as hard as the manual, we saw the zero-to-60 time stretch from 4.8 seconds to 5.5 seconds. When you brake-torque the automatic, the engine revs up to 2500 rpm and the transmission goes into a sort of maximum-acceleration mode, whereby it drops the shifting charade and acts like the CVT that it is. Once you’re off, the engine reaches 6400 rpm in the lowest ratio and remains there as speed rises, until it dips to a steady 6200 rpm beyond 60 mph."

Otherwise, the intro was gold!

And that's just it.  To get that 4.8 number required a hellaciously nasty/abusive clutch dump that i'd never subject my own car to

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 02:49:58 pm »
The 5.5 0-60 would be a deal beaker for me unless you could tune that nonsense out of it.

Subie probably does that to preserve the tranny. Im sure you could tune it to the high heavens but you would probably start breaking stuff (read: expensive, Subaru CVT stuff.)

i don't think i actually ever cracked into 5 second range....    probably a few times in 6's....

My buddy has a Cobb programmer on his WRX that has a "launch control" feature, just holds the RPM at a operator described limit. He set it at 4K and basically dumped the clutch  with me in the car, that poor thing, the noises it made. Sure, the thing shot off like an F14 off of a carrier, but man, that would be an expensive feature to use all the time.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 02:51:18 pm »
Justin, as a fellow Justin, I felt the need to join just to assure you of something: The CVT WRX is indeed slower than the WRX. Quite a bit slower too.

From car and driver:
"At the test track, this CVT-equipped WRX lagged the stick version, the quarter-mile taking 14.3 seconds at 99 mph, or 0.7 second and 3 mph behind the manual. Unable to launch the auto WRX as hard as the manual, we saw the zero-to-60 time stretch from 4.8 seconds to 5.5 seconds. When you brake-torque the automatic, the engine revs up to 2500 rpm and the transmission goes into a sort of maximum-acceleration mode, whereby it drops the shifting charade and acts like the CVT that it is. Once you’re off, the engine reaches 6400 rpm in the lowest ratio and remains there as speed rises, until it dips to a steady 6200 rpm beyond 60 mph."

Otherwise, the intro was gold!

And that's just it.  To get that 4.8 number required a hellaciously nasty/abusive clutch dump that i'd never subject my own car to

You don't dump a clutch on a WRX to launch it properly. Its a slip release.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »

My buddy has a Cobb programmer on his WRX that has a "launch control" feature, just holds the RPM at a operator described limit. He set it at 4K and basically dumped the clutch  with me in the car, that poor thing, the noises it made. Sure, the thing shot off like an F14 off of a carrier, but man, that would be an expensive feature to use all the time.

I had the same in my STi, your buddy is doing it wrong.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »
^
|
|

i remember reading in whatever C&D it was that they had beat the $hit out of it to get that 4.8

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »

I had the same in my STi, your buddy is doing it wrong.

He told me thats what it told him to do....I have no idea, never read the instructions for the thing, but it seemed like a highly violent thing very capable of breaking....well everything.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:18 pm »
If you slip the clutch there is no beating, just wear.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2014, 03:01:03 pm »

Wont the thing just bog though. I remember noticing that on the WRX and STi I have driven, it was bog or clutch burn hell.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »
1) I suspect you could;
2) I suspect they ran it in S# mode; Subaru has stated time and time again that "Sport" (non-sharp) is actually the fastest 'mode', but # gives you a bit more fun with the 8-'speeds'.

I dunno, what other compact car under $35k gives you 5.5s 0-60?  There aren't many.

Hey Snowman, by the way, when you get to Palm Springs, go for a drive through the Box Canyon.  A few twisties and beautiful scenery.  By the way, the Tarmac is perfectly paved and smooth (or it was, last year)
http://vimeo.com/33385838

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2014, 03:06:06 pm »

Wont the thing just bog though. I remember noticing that on the WRX and STi I have driven, it was bog or clutch burn hell.

No bogging because the turbo remains spooled up.

Trick is to bring the RPM's to 4000 (easy to hold with launch control) then start to slip the clutch slowly. Once you feel the car start to grab let the clutch out smoothly (like pulling your foot off a pile of shat that you stepped in) while applying full throttle. Gone.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:09 pm »

No boggin because the turbo remains spooled up.

Trick is to bring the RPM's to 4000 (easy to hold with launch control) then start to slip the clutch slowly. Once you feel the car start to grab let the clutch out smoothly (like pulling your foot off a pile of shat that you stepped in) while applying full throttle. Gone.

He did a clutch drop like a 16 year old in dads corvette. Thanks for the tip, I will relay it to him!!  :thumbup:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 03:17:35 pm »
1) I suspect you could;
2) I suspect they ran it in S# mode; Subaru has stated time and time again that "Sport" (non-sharp) is actually the fastest 'mode', but # gives you a bit more fun with the 8-'speeds'.

I dunno, what other compact car under $35k gives you 5.5s 0-60?  There aren't many.

Hey Snowman, by the way, when you get to Palm Springs, go for a drive through the Box Canyon.  A few twisties and beautiful scenery.  By the way, the Tarmac is perfectly paved and smooth (or it was, last year)
http://vimeo.com/33385838

Thanks and on our list to do.. :)..but it will though the windshield of a 2014 Toyota Highlander  :-\

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2014, 03:18:30 pm »
you have to slip @ 5000RPM

Depends on turbo and tune  :)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 03:31:01 pm »
^
|
|

i remember reading in whatever C&D it was that they had beat the $hit out of it to get that 4.8

Yeah, I read that too.  Something like 14 consecutive launches.  But I also remember them saying that it felt no different on the 14th than it did on the 1st and that when asked, the Subaru tech who told them to do the launch that way in the first place assured them it was designed to take it. Still, does make me cringe thinking of doing it repeatedly in my own car. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 03:41:12 pm »

You tune sucked, remember?  :stick:

I recall reeling you in with ease with my Clark Turner custom tune @ 18.5 psi  ;D

:rofl2: I backed off because we were in a single file and I was behind and you were spitting up stones  :P. If were were lined up side-by-side it would have been a different outcome  :)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2014, 04:03:36 pm »
You were cross-shopping a Rio5 and a Civic SI?  WHAT?
i wasn't initially looking at the Rio5...i wanted a fully equipped vehicle, so i started with the usual suspects in the $35k range...i then saw that the Civic Si also came very well equipped, and was about $27k, so i considered that one, but then ruled it out since you couldn't get an auto with it...had the current WRX been available at that time, i might have even bought it...in any case, while still in my searching phase, i had a Rio5 as a rental and actually thought it was a decent little car...i knew they had a top trim available, so i went to check it out...i liked it enough to buy one...it wasn't what i was originally looking for, but it had all the features i wanted...i was only really initially looking at larger cars because that's what you had to buy to get something "fully loaded"...instead, Kia offers the Rio5 fully equipped and i saved $15k...it's a win win situation.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 04:52:11 pm »

I recall reeling you in with ease with my Clark Turner custom tune @ 18.5 psi  ;D

:rofl2: I backed off because we were in a single file and I was behind and you were spitting up stones  :P. If were were lined up side-by-side it would have been a different outcome  :)

Whatever you say buddy. ;-)

Well now that you have got all soft and drive a sensible old mans car we will never know  :stick:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2014, 06:07:14 pm »

Well now that you have got all soft and drive a sensible old mans car we will never know  :stick:

Yeah and you ride the train and are afraid to take your fast car out in anything other than mild, sunny weather.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 06:11:57 pm »

Yeah and you ride the train and are afraid to take your fast car out in anything other than mild, sunny weather.

I hate to think what everyone will think of me if I ever get an LS600h!!   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...