Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris CE three-door  (Read 8366 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris CE three-door
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:05:50 am »

The new Yaris is easier to like, but doesn't fix the outgoing version's awkward driving position.

Read More...

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris CE three-door
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:06 am »
Nice to see someone test a bare bones model for a change....well done Chris.
....And talk about cheap!!!...OUTSIDE adjustable mirrows!!!  Come on Toyota.
My Echo at least have inside adjustable for both. I would KILL for all the safety features that are now standard. Front airbags and NO abs....the hatches came with abs standard but sedans did not....can you say"rip off" fast 3 times......I can.   :(

ps  None of the sedans get a tach either.
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:05:57 am »
Nice to see someone test a bare bones model for a change....well done Chris.
....And talk about cheap!!!...OUTSIDE adjustable mirrows!!!  Come on Toyota.
My Echo at least have inside adjustable for both. I would KILL for all the safety features that are now standard. Front airbags and NO abs....the hatches came with abs standard but sedans did not....can you say"rip off" fast 3 times......I can.   :(

ps  None of the sedans get a tach either.
:iagree:
When will Toyota realize that this is no longer the 80's in Canada any longer. The days of almost everything remotely convenient as an paid for option are gone. I recall when a basic radio and cheap floor mats were an option with Honda and Toyota. Inside manual mirrors should be basic without question.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:39:29 am »
Despite the hold-over engines and transmissions the Yaris still beats the heavier, higher-tech Koreans.

Well done there but mirrors in this country should be mandatory heated and remote.  Roll down your window is dangerous and never as good.

I like these cars but Toyota is definitely pushing their luck at this ultra-basic entry level.  The yen must be killing them because they must realize how bad this looks.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:22 am »

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 10:56:16 am »
What a joke! The older cars few generations back wasn't more unefficient than today's 'cause they were just ...lighter, comparing with their own modern siblings. In the same situation is Yaris today, comparing with ...the competion! Toyota is facing enormous engineering rework of Yaris/Corolla if they want them to be competetive. Both cars are tottally obsolete in just any regard. Even their reliability/efficiency isn't a product of engineering and tecnologies instead of simplicity and the resulting less overall weight. But the times of these type of cars is passing.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:34:19 am »
It's nice to see the leading edge of the C-pillar is shaped and angled correctly, at least to my eyes.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johnnyboy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 08n highlander hybrid, 13 Corolla LE,14 suzuki boulevard 800 11 burgman 650
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:10:58 pm »
it says in the article that a 2008 Yaris has hydraulic power  steering. All yaris since they were released have electric power steering so your writer is incorrect.The electric power steering at speed is very 'quick' and does not allow for much deviation.

Offline hopsoid

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:32:30 pm »
Then, there are the side mirrors that cannot be adjusted from inside the car. You have to roll the window down and physically move the mirror to where you want it, a process that involves plenty of annoying trial and error in a time when power mirrors are becoming common even in subcompacts
:o :o can't believe that one! I had a 91 POS car that had an interior manual adjuster!

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »
I too like to read a test of a base car. Particularly when it's an economy model. Aside from what sounds like a really unfortunate driving position, it was both fun to drive with the 5 speed manual and got very good fuel economy numbers. That Kia Rio with the 6 speed auto that got 9.3 L/100km makes the Yaris look pretty good in the economy department. I think I'd spend the extra and get the Honda Fit.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »
When will Toyota realize that this is no longer the 80's in Canada any longer. The days of almost everything remotely convenient as an paid for option are gone. I recall when a basic radio and cheap floor mats were an option with Honda and Toyota. Inside manual mirrors should be basic without question.

I guess when people stop buying their products?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »
Well done there but mirrors in this country should be mandatory heated and remote.  Roll down your window is dangerous and never as good.
Cheers,
John M.

Agreed on that.
What's funny (and silly) that Albertans made the engine block heater mandatory on all new cars but the things that are a clear safety concern (like interior adjusted mirrors) went unnoticed. Go figure ???

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:21:39 pm »
I'm old enough to remember when everything was manual on most cars...if it was adjustable at all. I was amazed the first time I realized that I could make the seat on a Volvo go up and down not just back and forth (it was manual).

I'd like to see dealers carry more base versions of their entry level cars to make them more accessible to more people. I'm shocked at the difference from base price to full-hit on a Ford Fiesta for example.

I'd like to see the price of options reflect the cost of the option, not some outrages marketed amount. Then maybe we could get into a more affordable "real" priced vehicle with some options without being taken in by the so called starting price !!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:40 pm »
I too like to read a test of a base car. Particularly when it's an economy model. Aside from what sounds like a really unfortunate driving position, it was both fun to drive with the 5 speed manual and got very good fuel economy numbers. That Kia Rio with the 6 speed auto that got 9.3 L/100km makes the Yaris look pretty good in the economy department. I think I'd spend the extra and get the Honda Fit.
i'm not sure how Chris was driving to get 9.3L in the Rio5...i've been having fun in mine on my current tank and it is sitting at 8.1...i haven't been racing Type Rs or TT-RS's or anything, but i haven't been driving like a grandma either...i turned the ActiveECO mode off as it simply sucked all the life out of the drive, and didn't seem to really provide much in the way of a fuel economy benefit...it may work on the "test circuit", but in real world driving, it simply gets to top gear as soon as possible, then when you need to accelerate to change lanes, it won't downshift unless you step on it pretty hard, where it then kicks down a few gears and sounds like you are trying to race everyone...in normal mode (ActiveECO off), you can simply depress the gas pedal slightly and it will get in the proper gear quickly and smoothly and you will accelerate normally.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 12:00:16 am »

i'm not sure how Chris was driving to get 9.3L in the Rio5...i've been having fun in mine on my current tank and it is sitting at 8.1...i haven't been racing Type Rs or TT-RS's or anything, but i haven't been driving like a grandma either...i turned the ActiveECO mode off as it simply sucked all the life out of the drive, and didn't seem to really provide much in the way of a fuel economy benefit...it may work on the "test circuit", but in real world driving, it simply gets to top gear as soon as possible, then when you need to accelerate to change lanes, it won't downshift unless you step on it pretty hard, where it then kicks down a few gears and sounds like you are trying to race everyone...in normal mode (ActiveECO off), you can simply depress the gas pedal slightly and it will get in the proper gear quickly and smoothly and you will accelerate normally.

The Rio I drove was relative "green;" only had about 1,700 km on, so I suspect it wasn't fully broken in. Still, a pretty big discrepancy.
I used to work here.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 09:11:08 am »
The Rio I drove was relative "green;" only had about 1,700 km on, so I suspect it wasn't fully broken in. Still, a pretty big discrepancy.
mine now has just over 2000 kms...perhaps you get stuck standing still in a lot of traffic??...i'm not babying mine at all and am at 8.1...i'm not sure how you would even get 9.3...away from a track anyway. :P

Offline miatii

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 12:27:40 pm »
(Since side mirrors seems to be one of the main topics...) Although heated and electrically adjustable mirrors with signal indicators (and mirrors that fold away when parked) would be a nice government mandated feature, I think the first thing they should do is make properly adjusted side mirrors part of the driving test.  What is the point of adjustable mirrors when most every driver has them adjusted incorrectly?  (Mind you I have a feeling most driving instructors don't know how to adjust the mirrors correctly). 

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots.  Google it and you'll find many sites with graphics, videos etc demonstrating the correct alignment.

Similar to the experience of first wearing progressive lenses in eye glasses, it can be difficult to get used to the positioning of the mirrors but once you do, you'll never go back to the old way of seeing the side of your vehicle in the side mirror and basically just replicating your rear view mirror.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 12:57:34 pm »
mine now has just over 2000 kms...perhaps you get stuck standing still in a lot of traffic??...i'm not babying mine at all and am at 8.1...i'm not sure how you would even get 9.3...away from a track anyway. :P

Much of my driving is around town with short jaunts on the highway, so that explains some of it. Could be there was something up with that particular car.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »
(Since side mirrors seems to be one of the main topics...) Although heated and electrically adjustable mirrors with signal indicators (and mirrors that fold away when parked) would be a nice government mandated feature, I think the first thing they should do is make properly adjusted side mirrors part of the driving test.  What is the point of adjustable mirrors when most every driver has them adjusted incorrectly?  (Mind you I have a feeling most driving instructors don't know how to adjust the mirrors correctly). 

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots.  Google it and you'll find many sites with graphics, videos etc demonstrating the correct alignment.

Similar to the experience of first wearing progressive lenses in eye glasses, it can be difficult to get used to the positioning of the mirrors but once you do, you'll never go back to the old way of seeing the side of your vehicle in the side mirror and basically just replicating your rear view mirror.

for those too lazy to google it.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

personally, that's how i adjust my mirrors.   very good on road.  but sometimes iffy in parking or slow speed manoeuvres.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »
Much of my driving is around town with short jaunts on the highway, so that explains some of it. Could be there was something up with that particular car.
my driving is all in the city, so it should be the same...come on chris...admit it...you have a lead foot. :P

in all seriousness though, i wouldn't mind knowing what the test is to rate cars on fuel economy...while i am sure i could achieve 6.9 in the city, i would seriously have to concentrate on driving efficiently to achieve it...i did manage to get about 6.5 in the rental i had earlier this year, but it was a base model with 20,000 kms on it, so perhaps as the car gets a bit more miles on it, it will settle down...the ET did the same, and i can get high 6s in strictly city driving if i want to (without angering other motorists of course).