Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT Turbo+  (Read 35352 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT Turbo+
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:05:06 am »

The new Cruze's optional turbocharged engine "is compelling for its practical power and easy driveability; it's also the more fuel-efficient choice, if you believe the NRCan ratings," says Chris Chase. Though "impressive," the Cruze isn't a class leader, he says.

Read More...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT Turbo+
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:18 am »
I think Chev has done a pretty decent job with the Cruze. It fills the market they are aiming for..big car feel/features with a small car price and economy. Its not trying to compete with the Mazda 3 on fun or performance.

From reading this and other reviews as well as reviews of other new GM cars recently introduced I just have to wonder just how ell they could really do if they paid just a little more attention to their engines/transmissions. If they introduced cars with class leading drivetrains to go with class leading features/quaility they could really go somewhere

EmmEff

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:42:42 am »
Wow, a less-than-stellar shifting automatic transmission in a GM car?  Say it isn't so!  ;D

I really like the look of this car.  (I think) I'm in the market for a subcompact for commuting and the Cruze looks good, but honestly, I cannot see myself buying a GM due to their past quality "issues", plasticy interiors, etc.  The comments in the review about the rattle and squeak problems are a little disconcerting.

I'm not exactly sure the Cruze will dislodge the Fiesta from the top of my list but GM's packages are much more interesting than the Fiesta's.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:00 am »
Great article.  It seemed to capture the car for what it is and has me more compelled to check one out soon (family member needs a new compact).

.....and.....in before this quote gets torn apart!
The Cruze is an impressive car with high levels of refinement and comfort, but fails to match class leaders like the Mazda3 and the redesigned Hyundai Elantra, in my opinion.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:08:06 am »
I like the Cruze well enough.  I like the Verano a LOT better.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:14:24 am »

Jaeger

Buick really needs to change that name so I stop thinking of the Daewoo Suzuki.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:22 am »
Great article.  It seemed to capture the car for what it is and has me more compelled to check one out soon (family member needs a new compact).

The Cruze is an impressive car with high levels of refinement and comfort, but fails to match class leaders like the Mazda3 and the redesigned Hyundai Elantra, in my opinion.

Just make sure you test drive the model with the same features you intend to buy. I've got nothing against the Cruze but moving from the base trim to the top of the line is like moving to an antirely different car altogether with different everything - from gauge cluster to leather wrapped wheel to disk brakes all around, etc.

Sure, they made it look like a very attractive proposition in the most expensive trim but then it's scratching the mid-class territory with Subary Legacy and Hyundai Sonata (still very well equipped even in base trim).

People shop for a compact vehicle to a price point, and if that turns your crank then by all means. But if you feel that, in your price range, you have to settle for the lesser everything (engine, transmission, trim) then there are much better options out there IMHO as you are not getting the same 'as tested' version in this review. In fact, FAR from it.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:16:45 am »

Jaeger

Buick really needs to change that name so I stop thinking of the Daewoo Suzuki.

At least they appear to have got the product right - which is by far the harder trick.

Jaeger

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:23:06 am »
..that thing has a huge front overhang and too many lites!!!!   saith the Gentleman from Verona...........

Welcome EmmEff nice 1st POST     keep then Emm Effers coming... :-* ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Sival

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:46:43 am »

If I may do the honor... why does it fail to match them? By what yardstick do you decide that the Cruze doesn't match the Mazda3 or the new Elantra? Is it worse than them on every level? I know that this isn't true, the Cruze gets better fuel economy than the Mazda3 and, I dare say, a more comfortable, more quiet and higher quality interior. On the other hand, I'd say that the Mazda3 is the sportier of the two and has a stronger engine (talking of the 2.0L here). I personally would say that the average driver should prefer the Cruze's comfort, but that the Mazda3 should be the choice of the enthusiast. That seems like a match to me, there's no reason to recommend everyone to buy a Mazda3 over a Cruze, no matter what they personally prefer in a car.

I won't go over the new Elantra too much, I don't know enough about it, though quite a few reviews did say it was not as refined and comfortable as the Cruze.

In the end, the quote seems too much like a throwaway denigrating comment that's just not well thought out.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 12:42:44 pm »
if the Cruze doesn't top the Mazda 3 or new Hyundai Elantra, why did it garnish the Car of the Year awards posted late last month...not trying to start a flame war or anything...it just seems odd that it beat out some other really impressive cars, yet in a test drive, it gets a decent/mediocre review.

that said, i like the Cruze, and am sure GM will sell tons of them...it is still a great car, especially so for GM, who is now known to make good small cars.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:45:36 pm »
if the Cruze doesn't top the Mazda 3 or new Hyundai Elantra, why did it garnish the Car of the Year awards posted late last month...not trying to start a flame war or anything...it just seems odd that it beat out some other really impressive cars, yet in a test drive, it gets a decent/mediocre review.

that said, i like the Cruze, and am sure GM will sell tons of them...it is still a great car, especially so for GM, who is now known to make good small cars.

Where did it win car of the year?  I must have missed that one, I thought the Volt was cleaning up on the COTY awards.

z973

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:02:44 pm »
lets see a car with a small engine and turbo on her first year i would wait at least one year before buying it and its still very expansive compared to the Mazda 3 and Elantra
and a 6 speed and is not up to par ;)

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »
Where is the hatchback or wagon version of the Cruze? Doesn't GM realize what a sizable chunk of the market they are forgoing by not offering that option. Even Ford
has figured that one out and will at least sell the new Focus as a hatch.

The real world quality of this car will be revealed when Chris Chase does his used car review in 2015.

As a general note to CD editors and reviewers, what is the point of reporting on highway fuel economy numbers if you are always driving at least 20 km over the speed limit? Do drivers who really care about maximizing mileage drive that fast?

This model is supposed to be a fuel efficient economy car so why don't you test drive it in an economical fashion?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 01:47:29 pm »
Because almost everyone actually drives those speeds, making it more realistic then the silly published number?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 01:48:54 pm »

Jaeger
hmmm...the "new Verano" is nothing more than a Lacrosse with the Regal engine...nothing spectacular in my opinion.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »
Because almost everyone actually drives those speeds, making it more realistic then the silly published number?
exactly...from what i recall, the "Highway" rating was done at 80 km/hr, meaning that most will never see published ratings...i think they even went so far as to test the car on a rolling road, making the rating even that much harder to achieve, however, i am not sure if any of this has changed over the years (it may have).

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 01:53:52 pm »

120KM/H is driving slow and economical in Toronto  :rofl2:

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »

Jaeger
hmmm...the "new Verano" is nothing more than a Lacrosse with the Regal engine...nothing spectacular in my opinion.

Do you mean in looks?  Cause size wise there is a quite a difference between the Verano and the Lacrosse

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »
Where did it win car of the year?  I must have missed that one, I thought the Volt was cleaning up on the COTY awards.
AJAC car of the year (for its category): http://www.ajac.ca/web/ccoty/previous_byyear.asp

CanadianDriver top Pick: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/12/24/canadiandriver-announces-its-top-picks-for-2011.htm?page=all