Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Jaguar XJL Portfolio  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Jaguar XJL Portfolio
« on: July 26, 2016, 06:39:07 am »

Opulence, serenity and speed.
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Jaguar XJL Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:26:32 am »
So much mass for a 4 seater...I still don't fully vibe with this segment as a whole. That said, the XJ always seemed better stated as what it intends to be over the German 3 - it simply looks more expensive.  It'd be a hard decision between this and the S-class for me, but I'd take this over a 7, A8, or Genesis.  The Lexus is compelling for different reasons.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:17:44 am »
I still hate the generic styling, and based on the sales numbers, it hasn't helped gain any traction in the marketplace. The Audi A8, which was perennially a slow seller has surpassed it, while the S Class still dominates followed by the 7 series and Lexus LS.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:42:01 am »
love this machine, although in this segment I personally would probably go with a Maserati for that Italian flair or an S8.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:32:14 am »
So much mass for a 4 seater...I still don't fully vibe with this segment as a whole. That said, the XJ always seemed better stated as what it intends to be over the German 3 - it simply looks more expensive.  It'd be a hard decision between this and the S-class for me, but I'd take this over a 7, A8, or Genesis.  The Lexus is compelling for different reasons.

In fairness, you could get TWO Genesis for the price of one of these.  :) But appreciate the inclusion.  :) A7 for me at this price point.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:51:42 am »

In fairness, you could get TWO Genesis for the price of one of these.  :) But appreciate the inclusion.  :) A7 for me at this price point.

The Genesis is a brand now. G90, aka Equus, is the "competitor" for XJL.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-genesis-g90-sedan-photos-and-info-news

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 06:23:08 pm »
Love the interior - looking forward to what it'll look like on the next generation.

I have failed to understand the rear pillar over the last 7 years. If you black it out for a floating roof, you don't then run chrome trim around it. Also the angle for the black-out is wrong. This is how you do a semi-floating roof:

Anyway, soft-spot for how Jaguars drive, how they feel, and their interior. No Merc S though...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:14 am »
I love this car, drove one a while back in a storm mid-Winter.  At 140kph it was super stable and confidence inspiring, plus being very, very quiet.

Not enough is made of the weight advantage, ~500lbs lighter than an S-Class is significant; it handles very well.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 12:02:09 pm »
I love this car, drove one a while back in a storm mid-Winter.  At 140kph it was super stable and confidence inspiring, plus being very, very quiet.

Not enough is made of the weight advantage, ~500lbs lighter than an S-Class is significant; it handles very well.

Why were you driving a $90K+ car that's not yours at 140KPH in a storm? That's scary.  :o
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:03:44 pm by carcrazed »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »

Why were you driving a $90K+ car that's not yours at 140KPH in a storm? That's scary.  :o

It was a press car a while ago, when the V6 AWD was launched.  Had it for a week over Winter.  ;D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 01:21:25 pm »

It was a press car a while ago, when the V6 AWD was launched.  Had it for a week over Winter.  ;D

Or put another way, "Because press car."  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 02:52:29 pm »

Or put another way, "Because press car."  ;D

LOL.  140kph because I was working late and wanted to get home.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 04:32:18 pm »
I've seen a few of these around town and man does it look looooooooong.  Like stretch limo long.  :o  Very cool ride though and a nice change of pace locally from all the S-Mercs.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »

alright, fair enough  ;)

Lightweight "al-yew-minium" chassis aside, this XJ is overwhelmingly "meh" for the money. Beltline too high, rear too forgettable, interior too chintzy-looking....I'd pick any other car in this segment over this one, for any number of reasons. I applaud Jag for taking a brave swing with the styling direction, but to my eye, it was a miss. Tough segment, tough crowd; tough luck.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 11:47:33 pm »
I've seen a few of these around town and man does it look looooooooong.  Like stretch limo long.  :o  Very cool ride though and a nice change of pace locally from all the S-Mercs.

That looooooong body, combined with the high beltline I suppose, just makes the wheels look too small, though I doubt they are...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 11:17:18 am »

alright, fair enough  ;)

Lightweight "al-yew-minium" chassis aside, this XJ is overwhelmingly "meh" for the money. Beltline too high, rear too forgettable, interior too chintzy-looking....I'd pick any other car in this segment over this one, for any number of reasons. I applaud Jag for taking a brave swing with the styling direction, but to my eye, it was a miss. Tough segment, tough crowd; tough luck.

I agree, I wouldn't buy this model, but an XJ-R in black... :drool:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 11:46:38 am »
I'd take a green short-wheelbase XJR.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 02:03:18 pm »

Nice - definitely a looker in XJR guise...but I'd still pick a 6-series Gran Coupe or Audi S8 over it. The 6 is gorgeous from every angle, while the XJR, to my eye, just isn't. And the S8 may look dowdy by comparison, but underneath it's an S8 so it's ok  ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 02:48:47 pm »

Nice - definitely a looker in XJR guise...but I'd still pick a 6-series Gran Coupe or Audi S8 over it. The 6 is gorgeous from every angle, while the XJR, to my eye, just isn't. And the S8 may look dowdy by comparison, but underneath it's an S8 so it's ok  ;)

God, an Audi wouldn't even get a look in if I was considering getting a 6 Gran Coupe. Agree, they are stunning.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:31 pm »

God, an Audi wouldn't even get a look in if I was considering getting a 6 Gran Coupe. Agree, they are stunning.

Haha, fair enough. But I gotta tell you, even with all of its super-generic Audi styling, in the right colour, I think the S8 has SERIOUS presence, even to non-enthusiasts. My non-scientific study: girlfriend and I were at the auto show back in january, and in the Audi section, the centrepiece was a bright red R8, and next to it, off tothe side, was a matte silver S8 Plus. My girlfriend goes, “oh my god, what model is THAT? It’s stunning!”, and I say:  “the red one? that’s the R8 V10 babe…it’s nice, eh?” and she goes  “oh no, not that, the 4-door next to it- it's gorgeous! THAT’S my new dream car.” Needless to say we are still together ;)