Author Topic: This coming fall - the Fiat must go!  (Read 13575 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: This coming fall - the Fiat must go!
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 01:30:04 pm »
a little late to the party, and though it takes me out of being your salesperson, no point in looking at the renegade really. while it is "removed" from fiat, it is still based on it, and shares just too much to not end up with it's flaws.

I really like the crosstrek. so it's my main vote. you leased the fiat? I forget... just asking to make sure you won't have to finance any negative equity into your budget...

not a bad time to be looking for a small suv/cuv thing... lots out there.

as a side note, and i'm serious here, tauri, is that an exaggeration, or did you literally have new ball joints put in 5x over 3000kms? I just can't imagine any warranty shop allowing a fix like that repeatedly since it obviously wasn't the issue every few weeks... just curious... I like to learn from people on here and what dealers do that helps or pisses them off.

^^^ I LITERALLY had new ball joints replaced 5x! the car spent more time in the Chrysler shop than in my hands...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:32:29 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 01:55:49 pm »
wow! can definitely understand the frustration!... not like the shop would have been thrilled either... makes them look like morons if it's an engineering fault.

hmmm... so blotter, have you an idea of how upside-down you currently are on the fiat? just trying to plan ahead for the total amount financed... because at prime (2.79%, i find that's a good starting point rather than assuming 0%), you will be looking at 33500 total amount to finance including taxes... so depending on whether the negative equity is more or less than the tax savings on the trade in, you might be looking at a vehicle in the 27-30,000 range rather than 40.

you know numbers, so i assume you have already done the math... i just don't want you to pick a car that ends up bumping the budget too much or just isn't feasible.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:22 pm »
wow! can definitely understand the frustration!... not like the shop would have been thrilled either... makes them look like morons if it's an engineering fault.

hmmm... so blotter, have you an idea of how upside-down you currently are on the fiat? just trying to plan ahead for the total amount financed... because at prime (2.79%, i find that's a good starting point rather than assuming 0%), you will be looking at 33500 total amount to finance including taxes... so depending on whether the negative equity is more or less than the tax savings on the trade in, you might be looking at a vehicle in the 27-30,000 range rather than 40.

you know numbers, so i assume you have already done the math... i just don't want you to pick a car that ends up bumping the budget too much or just isn't feasible.

I've worked out generic assumptions but at this point I'm not 100% sure her balance owing.
Something I think I'll look at once she gets ready to buy.   While auto trader gives me an idea what it's selling for, I have no idea how low the dealership will go in trade in value.   I know our options will be to add the negative equity into the new loan or pay it off ourselves.   Right now the budget sits at $600 a month but it's a moving target.   She's got a raise coming into effect next month and we're not 100% sure what the net income will be yet.   At this point she's giving me that number as to how much she's willing to go (ballparking her raise)  However, if she could stop spending $300 a month with online shopping, she could technically change cars now.   :-X   
I'm hoping this savings plan I throw into the mix could also be cash we use to offset the negative equity.

At this point I think it's about simply cutting our losses and spending a payment on a car she'll actually want to keep long term.   

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 03:16:40 pm »

I've worked out generic assumptions but at this point I'm not 100% sure her balance owing.
Something I think I'll look at once she gets ready to buy.   While auto trader gives me an idea what it's selling for, I have no idea how low the dealership will go in trade in value.   I know our options will be to add the negative equity into the new loan or pay it off ourselves.   Right now the budget sits at $600 a month but it's a moving target.   She's got a raise coming into effect next month and we're not 100% sure what the net income will be yet.   At this point she's giving me that number as to how much she's willing to go (ballparking her raise)  I'm hoping this savings plan I throw into the mix could also be cash we use to offset the negative equity.
However, if she could stop spending $300 a month with online shopping, she could technically change cars now.   :-X   

At this point I think it's about simply cutting our losses and spending a payment on a car she'll actually want to keep long term.

No wonder you haven't got the trailer yet!  :rofl2:   You going to the Toronto RV show on Friday? or on the weekend?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 03:20:27 pm »

Something I think I'll look at once she gets ready to buy.   While auto trader gives me an idea what it's selling for, I have no idea how low the dealership will go in trade in value.   I know our options will be to add the negative equity into the new loan or pay it off ourselves.   Right now the budget sits at $600 a month but it's a moving target.   She's got a raise coming into effect next month and we're not 100% sure what the net income will be yet.   At this point she's giving me that number as to how much she's willing to go (ballparking her raise)  I'm hoping this savings plan I throw into the mix could also be cash we use to offset the negative equity.
However, if she could stop spending $300 a month with online shopping, she could technically change cars now.   :-X   

No wonder you haven't got the trailer yet!  :rofl2:   You going to the Toronto RV show on Friday? or on the weekend?

was hoping to but i've been told there's no point because the trailer will be pushed back a year.
 ::)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 03:46:50 pm »
Most likely for us too, but I may go.  Depending on how I feel, what I have going on that day.  1/2 price Fridays, free parking.  But my wife is working, so that means I would have to go during working hours.  So it would cost me money to go. Guess there is the weekend, she is off...

Want to see travel trailers my Odyssey will tow.  Old debate/thread... Sshh don't want to open a can of worms, the truckers may say something, like tow with a van!   :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18:21 pm »
Given that it's mostly city, is the CrossTrek hybrid worth considering?
SHHH, MAKE SURE JACOB ISN'T READING THIS!!!   :rofl2:

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 11:57:20 am »
Given that it's mostly city, is the CrossTrek hybrid worth considering?
SHHH, MAKE SURE JACOB ISN'T READING THIS!!!   :rofl2:

been thinking about it....   most reviews haven't been too great about it though.
being it's Subaru's first kick at the can, I was thinking of passing unless they have system attempt #2 ready.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
Out from the (very) left field:

Mitsubishi RVR GT

Compact, roomy, good-looking (with the right colour and wheels) and loaded in GT trim. Being upgraded to 2.4 litre engine in 2015, good warranty. Women love these things.

As for other options:

Not in the running:

Fiat 500X - so out of the picture it wasn't even thought up in the thread so far
Renegade - made in a Fiat plant in Italy

Candidates:

Crosstrek - best fit, luxo trim available
Encore - great reviews, but does look odd from certain angles
CX-3 - looks great, tiny trunk, details to follow
HR-V - ditto
Trax - actually a bit better-looking than Encore
Q3 - if she sees this, you're in trouble
GLA - a bit pricey
B250 4Matic - a Matrix that won the lottery, roomier and less expensive than platform-mate GLA but lower

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »
Would you drive the car a lot? Would the unlimited mileage warranty from Mazda make the CX 3/5 more appealing?

I guess you bought the taco for the long trips? Do you need that much space for every trip you make?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 01:44:40 pm »
B250 4Matic - a Matrix that won the lottery, roomier and less expensive than platform-mate GLA but lower

^^ this is the best idea ever! I think she will be very happy with it.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 02:14:57 pm »
while the MB / Audi / BMW has appeal....
FGCs worry me.   So does ownership costs.

I used to think the B200 would be a good fit... we'll have to look at the new 250 (forgot about that one)

Would you drive the car a lot? Would the unlimited mileage warranty from Mazda make the CX 3/5 more appealing?

I guess you bought the taco for the long trips? Do you need that much space for every trip you make?

Aside from my wife's commute. (50km daily)
it's the grocery getter.   With the Crosstrek she'll get a hitch and use it to go ride in the summer when I'm working.   The truck would be mainly for the longer trips....  with something like the Crosstrek (vs Fiat) we can still do some things with it aside from put 3 groceries bags in it. LOL
again using the hitch rack, we'd take that for our local bike rides instead of the truck.
using the Subaru for skiing would also be an option as well, get a box and use that for overnight trips instead of the truck.   

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 04:27:01 pm »
I would vote for the Encore as well....

TBH I haven't touched the Encore, but I have the Trax, Which is the same vehicle with a different suit.  Rear seat leg room is at a major premium there.  If the seating for 4 means 4 people larger than smurfs for periods of time longer than 20 minutes I'd put my vote back the the Scooby.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 04:31:32 pm »
The Q3 is out.

$38+ for Quatro

RVR would be out... dealership is way too far.

Encore / Trax - too small

the B250 has no roof rails / roof rack - that's out!

the list is being reduced!!!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
This coming fall - the Fiat must go!
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 05:31:13 pm »
Are there not any mounting points for a roof rack on the B?  I'd look into that before ruling it out.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 06:28:39 pm »
Are there not any mounting points for a roof rack on the B?  I'd look into that before ruling it out.
There are mounts for cross bars but not longitudinal bars.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:22 pm »
The Protege5 and the Mazda5 have that system.  I quite liked it.

Does that mean B250 is back on the list?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:39 am »
I'll have to look into the B250 a little more.
 :)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2015, 08:35:09 pm »
I've got another one from the left field. Well, so far left it's hidden from view behind the dugout.

Honda Crosstour.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 08:52:54 pm »
I'll have to look into the B250 a little more.
 :)

But it does have runflat tires...