Author Topic: Noto's First Drives: 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium and 3.6R Limited  (Read 16325 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Noto's First Drives: 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium and 3.6R Limited
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 07:17:44 pm »

So why no Legacy for Noto?  First, it's a big car.  While it doesn't drive particularly "big", the car does not handle corners as nimbly as the Accord, Fusion, Passat, or 6.  With that being said, I'd take the Legacy over any and all of those mentioned for the AWD and much comfier interior.  The centre screen being blocked out by polarized glasses is also a big dealbreaker for me since I literally drive 95% of the time with sunglasses on (unless it's night time or pouring rain).  Polarized lenses are especially helpful in winter driving conditions.

I guess I missed this one as well. Great job NoTo and pretty cool that you got an impromptu demo of the Eye-Sight system.  :thumbup:

The Fusion can be optioned with awd btw and is a blast to drive in the snow.  Interestingly, when we were shopping for my wife's new car back in 09 the choice was narrowed down to either the Subaru OBW, or the Fusion.  They had no Forester XTs in stock at the time.  The Fusion was a much better driver and we already had a wagon at that time so the choice was pretty clear in the final analysis.  If I had to chose between the two now it would probably be the OBW 3.6.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 08:04:38 pm »
I'd also suspect that EyeSight would have issues at night. At very least it would be much less effective.

It might still do alright in terms of tracking other traffic though since you can work off the brakelights, but the auto braking aspect for wildlife/pedestrians is surely compromised.

I have to wonder why Subaru went with the camera method instead of radar or radar+camera like most other manufacturers? ???
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 08:44:13 pm »
Eyesight will have no effect for avoiding deer day or night.

You need an infrared system for night. 

Maybe not.

As suggested by AS, I am doing research on EyeSight as I may have it on my next vehicle.  It seems the newest version is good at night, maybe even better than radar/infrared:

From http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a6852/subaru-camera-controlled-cruise/
Until recently, radar and laser sensors have had the advantage of not requiring daylight in order to detect objects in the vehicle's path. Improved digital image sensors and processors have increasingly enabled cameras to see in the dark. The same techniques used by photographers to create those wild-looking high-dynamic-range (HDR) images are being utilized in real time to combine multiple images shot in a burst mode to produce usable images in very low light conditions.

Not a lot of other info re night functionality, although one source noted the EyeSight cameras are both day and night enabled.

Regardless, it seems like a usable system although some posts on other forums of drivers setting the system and just steering (no use of peddles at all) seems a bit too far out for me man   ;)

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »
Here's part of the owner's manual describing EyeSight function:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/68554/pdf/ownerManual/068554_2013_Legacy/MSA5M1318A_3.pdf

"Under the conditions listed below, it will become more difficult for the system to detect the vehicle in front, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians and obstacles on the road and lane markers, and EyeSight may temporarily stop operating. However, the system will resume operation once these conditions have improved and the vehicle is driven for a short period of time.
- When driving at night or in a tunnel when there is a vehicle in front that does not have its taillights on
- When it is completely dark and no objects are detected
"

Maybe we should have a separate thread on these systems rather than hijack NoTo's review.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 12:38:12 pm »
Maybe we should have a separate thread on these systems rather than hijack NoTo's review.
That'd be nice :)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 12:10:05 pm »
Great write-up, Noto!

I would still take the Crosstrek over the Legacy but ya never know.  Stranger things have happened.

I do agree about the polarized sunglasses.  I scratched the (non-polarized) lenses in my favourite pair a few years ago and was given polarized ones as a replacement.  They cut glare perfectly but they play havoc with many device screens (in car dash screens, fuel pump screens, some large video displays, ...).

The only fix is to turn the glasses (or my head) sideways.  Either that or get new glasses.   ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 12:45:53 pm »
The only fix is to turn the glasses (or my head) sideways.  Either that or get new glasses.   ;D
...and that's what I do.

...or tilt my head down and peer over the glasses to see the screen.

Both are bad compromises.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 02:46:27 pm »
I've just been prescribed glasses and decided to go non-polized due to that.
(for some reason I've also noticed polized lenses have issues with some tints.)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 03:34:35 pm »
Polarized lenses aren't the problem here :P

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 05:05:18 pm »
Polarized lenses aren't the problem here :P

I can't change the tints or the screens but I can do what I want with the lenses.