Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Nissan Rogue  (Read 11909 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Nissan Rogue
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:19:31 am »
Today's First Drive:
2008 Nissan Rogue

2008 Nissan RogueReplacing the X-Trail in mid-September, the new 2008 Nissan Rogue crossover is "a family wagon with a sporting attitude," says Managing Editor, Grant Yoxon.  Pricing is expected to be in the $25,000 - $35,000 range.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The First Drives

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: CD Article: 2008 Nissan Rogue
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:06:07 am »
I find the whole CVT thing a turn-off. My Dad has a Murano that I've driven on a few trips and I really don't care for the feel of it on the highway. For some reason it doesn't seem to coast well? You always seem to have to be on the gas. Having a CVT may prevent us from buying another Maxima when it's time.

Is Nissan the only company to use these transmissions so widely across their lineup?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:36:29 am »
Not bad looking at all, but from the rear the Rogue looks a lot like a Hyundai SantaFe. What's with the fascination the stylists have for those useless abbreviated rear quarter windows? Trading off visibility - read safety - for style is stupid IMHO.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:53:32 am »
The interior reminds me way too much of my 2002 Altima - spartan (which is fine) but poor-looking quality.

No fore-aft/reclining rear seat? Dunno about that. And I agree that styling rear quarter windows being chosen over visibility is not necessarily a good thing either.
JWW

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 12:08:49 pm »
I am not fond of the exterior styling (do like the Murano and both new and old X-Trail though).

Otherwise seems fully competent. CVT did not bother me in the Muranos I've driven, so is neither a pro nor con.

But overall no pull for me versus competitors.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:23:37 pm »
The interior reminds me way too much of my 2002 Altima - spartan (which is fine) but poor-looking quality.

Jww, did you not read the article??

The writer points out:

I was impressed with the quality of interior materials, particularly the soft dash plastics which have a rich, luxurious feel and overall fit and finish appeared excellent.
Liberal use of bright metallic trim around the gauges and switch gear, and on the doors, steering wheel and console add definition and character. In top-of-the-line trim, the Rogue looks and feels more like an entry level luxury sedan than a compact SUV
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:42:39 pm by XTrail1 »

avtoller

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:38:43 pm »
I liked the X-Trail's styling, but never warmed to the Murano's, so the Rogue does not thrill me much.

trandell

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 01:02:53 pm »
I will miss the X-Trail with it's more traditional 4x4 SUV design, the new  for europe model was even more appealing, It was a unique vehicle that Nissan was offering in a field of too many "me too' over styled CUV's. It is a mistake for Nisssan to replace it with a "Me too" CUV like the rogue. I don't think this model will appeal to current X-Trail buyers at all.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 02:17:03 pm »

The writer points out:

I was impressed with the quality of interior materials, particularly the soft dash plastics which have a rich, luxurious feel and overall fit and finish appeared excellent.
Liberal use of bright metallic trim around the gauges and switch gear, and on the doors, steering wheel and console add definition and character. In top-of-the-line trim, the Rogue looks and feels more like an entry level luxury sedan than a compact SUV

I have to agree with Jww on the interior and disagree with the review. Black with lots of bright silver coloured plastic looks stark and cheap to me. We bought our Maxima inspite of the interior not because of it. As it was it was only because the SL had some woodgrain trim to soften things up that it was acceptable to us at all. I'd have to say Nissan interiors have done nothing for me in recent years. The Santa Fe interior look WAY nicer!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:27:15 pm »
Front end looks a bit awkward and ugly in the pictures. Maybe comes together better in real life. Rating = Meh

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 06:29:12 pm »
imo

Front = :(
Rear = Santa Fe
Interior = Cold and dark. Like space.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 06:39:42 pm »
Front end looks a bit awkward and ugly in the pictures. Maybe comes together better in real life. Rating = Meh

What he said.  Another amorphous blob hits the road.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Leviathan

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 09:19:04 pm »
Inside/outside styling is ok and is much better than, say, the Compass.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 09:36:33 pm »
I just dont get it. The interior is all cool and hi-tech and spaceship like, so once inside you would expect you are driving a serious luxury car or suv. once out it reminds of a clearance shelf in toys r us. and i wonder since when nissan subcontracts to korean designers..  :'(
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

avtoller

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:47 pm »
Inside/outside styling is ok and is much better than, say, the Compass.

Damning with faint praise??  ??? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 09:51:59 pm »
 ;D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:45 pm »
In general, I'm not feeling it at all. And I do like the Murano, but not a CVT fan at this time.  :thumbdown: :thumbup:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:15:32 am »

The writer points out:

X-Trail - I did read the article - and didn't think that the pictures looked like any different in quality than the look of the pics of the 2002 Altima when it first came out. I just think it looks - in pics - cheap quality, regardless of what the reviewer says, that's all.

Nevertheless - I will withold further comment until I see one in the flesh (or metal as it were) as only an in-person peruse will actually tell me what the quality of the interior is.

I still think that Nissan should have kept the X-Trail here as well - but perhaps sales were waning and they needed something different looking? Too bad.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 11:26:25 am »
From the back I'll be confusing this with the new Subaru Tribeca. Mind you, 9.5 times out of 10 it won't be the Tribeca judging by sales figures.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 12:22:45 pm »

The writer points out:

X-Trail - I did read the article - and didn't think that the pictures looked like any different in quality than the look of the pics of the 2002 Altima when it first came out. I just think it looks - in pics - cheap quality, regardless of what the reviewer says, that's all.

Nevertheless - I will withold further comment until I see one in the flesh (or metal as it were) as only an in-person peruse will actually tell me what the quality of the interior is.

I still think that Nissan should have kept the X-Trail here as well - but perhaps sales were waning and they needed something different looking? Too bad.

I saw and touched one in the flesh and the quality like the writer says is tops.  The X-Trail had to change or be replaced to keep in line with the others ie. CRV, Rav, Outlander etc.  X-Trail sales were always good and always led the truck segment for Nissan.  I love the new euro X-Trail, but the squarish looks are not in style here now.