Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 GMC Acadia Denali - Ottawa to the Chicago Auto Show  (Read 11562 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Driving from Ottawa to the Chicago Motor Show in subzero weather proved very comfortable in the luxurious GMC Acadia Denali, but fuel consumption was worse than expected, says Grant Yoxon.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 GMC Acadia Denali - Ottawa to the Chicago Auto Show
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:17:36 am »
A 5000 pound vehicle is ludicrous as personal transport.  The idea that "For this journey one needs the power to overcome Mother Nature." is totally misguided.  A Fit with 4 Blizzaks would have done just fine.

That said, I don't find the 11.7 consumption level Grant achieved to be all that bad for that size of vehicle in those conditions.  What is ridiculous is the 8.8 highway rating.   I know numerous owners of small Japanese vehicle who beat their highway rating but for larger vehicles, it is another story.

My Odyssey and Mazda MPV were almost impossible to get under 10 despite very concerted efforts on my part.

Back to the vehicle in at hand.  It seems to be a nicely executed answer to a question we should no longer be asking.

Cheers,
John Meyer

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:54:05 am »
I don't have much to say about the car, surprisingly. Only that it needs to go on a diet!

However, American border guards and custom officials... *sigh*. I'm a permenant resident, not a Canadian Citizen (I'm English) and I have extensive experience in entering both countries on a regular basis - once in to Canada without any paperwork as the British Postal service was on strike and I'd been having my visa stamped before I flew.

The Americans, without a single exception, were rude, nasty and downright obnoxious. They seemed to be deliberately obstructive, but without the intelligence or knowledge of what to look for and so picked up on things that didn't exist or weren't a problem. On one trip I made the mistake of a trip being business and pleasure - "that's not allowed sir, your trip should only have one purpose" - after being taken in to a little side room and watching the gloves go on I produced a NATO travel order before they fiddled with my unholies.

Canadians - love'em. With the exception of Toronto airport where they're a bit tired and cranky, and Montreal airport where they've plainly been trained by the Americans, Canadians have always been welcoming, polite and asked the right questions.

English - useless ;)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:05:50 am »
Test - Find the trip reset button.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:31 am »
That's a hard one Railton! I'm going with the little button on the end of the left indicator stalk. Otherwise somewhere on the overly complicated steering wheel?

Thanks for the photo as well though - I didn't realise this car had such a "cheap" interior. It's like a cheap hooker in an expensive dress - if you'll excuse the rudeness! You can't hide all the poor architecture and design behind lashings of wood and chrome.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:16:09 am »
Test - Find the trip reset button.
Railton

Ha! I know, but I'll see if anyone else can get it. =)
I used to work here.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:27:34 am »
"The Acadia is heavy, over 2,200 kg (4,857 lb) with all-wheel-drive. It is a weight that keeps the vehicle planted firmly on the road, albeit without any real idea about what is going on under the tires. The suspension is built for comfort, the cabin eerily quiet and the steering devoid of feedback. The Acadia requires trust, but does not prove your trust misplaced."

I knew it!  "Road Hugging weight" is back.  I hope not for long.  Maybe some >$4 a gallon gas in the USA will finally put the stake through its heart. 

As for US Immigration.   I suppose its not paranoia when they are really after you.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:29:17 am »
Frustrated the bigeesuss (sp?) out of me on a holiday down South last year. I never did find it.

On a similar note, (possily test #2) had to dig out the user manual for the Infiniti last night looking for the switch to turn on the heated mirrors to remove some ice formed after going thru the car wash.
Railton

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:02:05 am »

On a similar note, (possily test #2) had to dig out the user manual for the Infiniti last night looking for the switch to turn on the heated mirrors to remove some ice formed after going thru the car wash.
Railton

Aren't they on the rear window defogger like on other cars?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:25:26 am »

Railton

Yup, although some cars have a unique switch (ex Honda).
Now, what about the Aacadia? Surprised Inco hasn't chimed in yet.
Railton

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:48 am »
Grant's description of the hassle he had getting into the US is typical. It always seems like the "kids with guns" who are impressed with their own importance and give you a hard time. ::) ....Sort of makes you wish the US would build a giant fence around their country. Then they could sit behind it and run out of oil all by themselves.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 10:28:25 am »
Is it not right beside the tach?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 11:02:16 am »
Is it not right beside the tach?
Maybe in the 'stripper' model.
Railton

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:01 am »
I wonder if those who buy such monsters for personal transportation, where often the driver being the only person transported, should be paying a different gas tax and gas price. The extra money collected would be used to sponsor research of the alternatives to burning fossil fuels, as well as feeding the polar bears for extra few weeks every year and rescuing them from melting ice. Making egocentric purchasing decisions is responsible for contributing to climate change so I suppose the offenders should compensate the society. It seems flat tax we pay on gas doesn't prevent many from being inconsiderate to the planet so I propose the price of gas at the pump to be adjusted in accordance to every vehicle's NRC fuel efficiency number. For example, if current taxes make up about third of the cost, say it is 40 cents in a litre today, then this is what the cars using 6L/100km should be still charged, but if you put your lifestyle above the issues our society is facing and want to afford the luxury of burning 12L to go the same 100km, then your tax contribution will now be 80 cents. This is just as fair IMO as rich paying more in income taxes to support the  less fortunate and keep them above a state of poverty. Similarly, those who use 12L/100 will give back some to ppl choosing to spend extra on their hybrid, and should give back even more to folks who cycle or walk every day.
Go!  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 12:02:11 pm »
Most GM's you have to old the check mark button.  You can see it just below the right spoke on the steering wheel.

Hey look at that my sig still has this vehicle in it.  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:05:11 pm by wing »

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »
I wonder if those who buy such monsters for personal transportation, where often the driver being the only person transported, should be paying a different gas tax and gas price. The extra money collected would be used to sponsor research of the alternatives to burning fossil fuels, as well as feeding the polar bears for extra few weeks every year and rescuing them from melting ice. Making egocentric purchasing decisions is responsible for contributing to climate change so I suppose the offenders should compensate the society. It seems flat tax we pay on gas doesn't prevent many from being inconsiderate to the planet so I propose the price of gas at the pump to be adjusted in accordance to every vehicle's NRC fuel efficiency number. For example, if current taxes make up about third of the cost, say it is 40 cents in a litre today, then this is what the cars using 6L/100km should be still charged, but if you put your lifestyle above the issues our society is facing and want to afford the luxury of burning 12L to go the same 100km, then your tax contribution will now be 80 cents. This is just as fair IMO as rich paying more in income taxes to support the  less fortunate and keep them above a state of poverty. Similarly, those who use 12L/100 will give back some to ppl choosing to spend extra on their hybrid, and should give back even more to folks who cycle or walk every day.
Go!  ;)

And everyone should live in downtown Toronto and eat tofu burgers.

:rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 12:15:19 pm »
Dano no worries aboot DanY...he lives under a bridge on the Gardiner.....and on weekends flies to Vegas on JetShare and parties with Marty Sheen.....................he's the 1/2 Man half Trudeau............... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »

Railton

The Forester is like that too.  The 1 defrost button turns on the rear window defros, the mirrors, and the defroster at the base of the windshield.

I once had a US border guard ask why we were going to Mount Washington.  Uhhhh...the climb it?  Absolute worst border crossing was the the Canadian guards at the Rock Island crossing between Vermont and Quebec.  If you're English, you're getting searched!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

nsmyhte

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 01:38:47 pm »
Best thing about Quebec cars: no front license plate.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »
I wonder if those who buy such monsters for personal transportation, where often the driver being the only person transported, should be paying a different gas tax and gas price.

Monsters? In my hickville city an Acadia is probably average size.  Every fourth vehicle seems to be an F250/2500 with a six inch lift and 35" mudders.  The chicks drive half tons and their boyfriends the 3/4 tons.  ;D