Author Topic: Ticketed in a drive thru  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Ticketed in a drive thru
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:52:28 pm »

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
Re: Ticketed in a drive thru
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:59:17 pm »
That was in Beaumont (Fobroader watch out), close enough to Edmonton to get ticketed for absolutely everything.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:16:00 pm »
That was in Beaumont (Fobroader watch out), close enough to Edmonton to get ticketed for absolutely everything.

Our revenue collectors here in Beaumont are horrid....this is low even for them.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:50 pm »
 ??? ::)  Did he get supersized OR fries wif dat :P :popo: :popo: :popo: ...donuts to dollars Hortons will be left alone :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »
I did not think they could give you a ticket on private property

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/12/01/man-fined-for-drive-thru-texting-at-tim-hortons.html

Yes, yes they can.  I'm surprised that they don't stake out people's driveways and ticket them there.  Well, can't say for sure they don't.  Edmonton and surrounding area is the most ticketed zone in Canada - almost all speeding tickets - hundreds of thousands via photo radar with absurdly low leeway, but since the real cops have free time (it's civilians doing photo radar) they can now sit at Timmies and hand out tickets there.

Stupid.  I saw on the news that the ticketee got a little rude with the police officer.  Don't blame him.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:35:28 pm »

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/12/01/man-fined-for-drive-thru-texting-at-tim-hortons.html

Yes, yes they can.  I'm surprised that they don't stake out people's driveways and ticket them there.  Well, can't say for sure they don't.  Edmonton and surrounding area is the most ticketed zone in Canada - almost all speeding tickets - hundreds of thousands via photo radar with absurdly low leeway, but since the real cops have free time (it's civilians doing photo radar) they can now sit at Timmies and hand out tickets there.

Stupid.  I saw on the news that the ticketee got a little rude with the police officer.  Don't blame him.

Didn't know this for a fact, but it sure feels like it. It's just ridiculous now.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:42:40 pm »
Edmonton alone now sends out FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND photo radar tickets per year.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1803298/last-year-saw-huge-spike-in-photo-radar-tickets-for-6-10kmh-over-speed-limit/

Vancouver has no photo radar and police write about thirty thousand per year.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/vancouver-s-spike-in-speeding-tickets-blamed-on-driver-frustration-1.1005347

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 05:43:43 pm »
I've had one speeding ticket in Edmonton and one speeding ticket in B.C.

Funny since I spend maybe 5 days a year in Edmonton.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:22:24 pm »

You can be charged with "over 8" or impaired driving while sitting in your car, engine off, but listening to the radio for example (keys on your person).  The Ontario Court of Appeals ruled a few years ago that one's driveway was in the 'public sphere".   If the driveway was gated closed then it would not apply.  :P

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 11:57:34 am »
Technically, they cannot:

“No individual shall drive or operate a vehicle on a highway while at the same time (a) holding, viewing or manipulating a cellular telephone, radio communication device or other communication device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communication, electronic data, electronic mail or text messages, or (b) holding, viewing or manipulating a hand-held electronic device or a wireless electronic device.”
(snagged from jamie's posted article out of laziness)

But, in this case, the "entire" story is that:
The Leduc Integrated Traffic Unit member who handed out the ticket saw the man driving and texting before he entered the drive-thru,

...and on that basis, yes, he can have a ticket.

The question will be: "is a Timmy's drive-thru lane considered a "highway" pursuant to Provincial interpretation.  It is not a question of public or private, and this:
I'm surprised that they don't stake out people's driveways and ticket them there. 
...is incorrect.  A private driveway is not part of a provincial highway and one cannot be ticketed there. 

Since drinking and driving is a criminal, and therefore Federal offence, there is no mention of a "highway" in the legislation.

Operation while impaired

253. (1) Every one commits an offence who operates a motor vehicle or vessel or operates or assists in the operation of an aircraft or of railway equipment or has the care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment, whether it is in motion or not,
(a) while the person’s ability to operate the vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment is impaired by alcohol or a drug; or
(b) having consumed alcohol in such a quantity that the concentration in the person’s blood exceeds eighty milligrams of alcohol in one hundred millilitres of blood.

^^ Canadian statute, not Provincial.  And notice how there is zero mention of the word "highway" or "roadway".

In Ontario, at least:
Hand-held devices prohibited
Wireless communication devices
78.1 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held wireless communication device or other prescribed device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communications, electronic data, mail or text messages.  2009, c. 4, s. 2.

Entertainment devices
(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held electronic entertainment device or other prescribed device the primary use of which is unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle.  2009, c. 4, s. 2.

Hands-free mode allowed
(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while using a device described in those subsections in hands-free mode.  2009, c. 4, s. 2.
Same
(6) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply if all of the following conditions are met:

1. The motor vehicle is off the roadway or is lawfully parked on the roadway.

2. The motor vehicle is not in motion.

3. The motor vehicle is not impeding traffic.  2009, c. 4, s. 2.

Those are the important parts - so if your vehicle is NOT in motion (which is ambiguous as to whether by activation of the brakes or actually in "park"), and you are off the road and not impeding traffic, you are allowed to use your phone.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 01:40:41 pm »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 02:26:06 pm »
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: Sounds like the idiot talked himself into a ticket hahahahhaha
He didn't "talk" himself into a ticket...he "flew" into it :P