Author Topic: Auto Tech: Next-Generation Audi TDI Diesel Powertrains  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Next-Generation Audi TDI Diesel Powertrains
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:28 am »

Diesel engines have been durable and efficient power sources for over a century, and Audi is refining them to perfection and winning over luxury consumers.

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Auto Tech: Next-Generation Audi TDI Diesel Powertrains
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15:14 am »
Where we need to see manufacturers focus on diesel technology is on emissions systems.  While they have been able to reduce emissions, certain driving conditions kill the emission system components (i.e. city driving and DPF plugging up).  If they can solve these issues, great.

Excited to see what Audi brings with plug-in hybrid diesels.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:56:34 am »
aren't these powertrains basically VW's?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:57:38 am »

Isn't this user basically a troll?  :rofl2:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Auto Tech: Next-Generation Audi TDI Diesel Powertrains
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:08 am »

Lol.  Well played.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:16 am »

Automatically calling somebody a troll is a classic troll move... this is very meta.

Anything Audi, which is part of Volkswagen Auto Group, is essentially a Volkswagen, so in answer to the original question, yes. (But they charge more for the badge.)
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »

Automatically calling somebody a troll is a classic troll move... this is very meta.

Anything Audi, which is part of Volkswagen Auto Group, is essentially a Volkswagen, so in answer to the original question, yes. (But they charge more for the badge.)

I guess same with Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti. They are just fancy VWs, right?

Same with Maserati and Ferrari in relation to Fiat.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:36:50 am »
There is an interesting piece on Jay Leno's Garage about the bi-electric turbo. The one he reviewed was a Ford Focus 1 litre and apparently it drove very well.

We are transitioning from internal combustion engines now. Hybrid just makes sense as wasted energy is being tapped. I give hybrids twenty years and then we will see the end of internal combustion.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:47:39 am »
Where we need to see manufacturers focus on diesel technology is on emissions systems.  While they have been able to reduce emissions, certain driving conditions kill the emission system components (i.e. city driving and DPF plugging up).  If they can solve these issues, great.

It is stated in the article a few times that lowering emissions was a major target on TDi engines.

My experience with diesel these days is almost exclusively commercial, but the DEF systems are in fact very simple and reliable. We have several now and they are much better than the soot-burner things were and use a third less fuel.

We miss a lot of good stuff here. The less 100 gram per km benchmark has produced some really cool cars that are very efficient. Gasoline and road taxes are still cheap enough here few would pay for it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:33:59 am »
 The bi-electric turbo sounds as if Audi have been watching this years F1 engines   power units. Seems like a good idea technically but I am sure that some will complain that it is too complex and a cause of CELs.   8)

FWIW in the UK they are thinking of new fees and taxes on diesels and their fuel because of air pollution in cities.  This just a few years after the government essentially encouraging a diesel averse population to buy diesels because of the lower CO2 emissions.

I wonder if using the Adblue technology makes the DPF unnecessary or simpler?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 06:23:35 am »
I thought I read the UK government was about to increase the tax on diesels in London, or did I dream it?

No, you read part of  it in my post of a few minutes before yours!!!      It was in The Times yesterday. The London congestion charge up for diesels is part of it.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:24 am »
The bi-electric turbo sounds as if Audi have been watching this years F1 engines   power units. Seems like a good idea technically but I am sure that some will complain that it is too complex and a cause of CELs.   8)

FWIW in the UK they are thinking of new fees and taxes on diesels and their fuel because of air pollution in cities.  This just a few years after the government essentially encouraging a diesel averse population to buy diesels because of the lower CO2 emissions.

I wonder if using the Adblue technology makes the DPF unnecessary or simpler?
You need both systems.  The DEF system uses Urea to reduce nitrous oxides.  The DPF controls the particulates (soot).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:42 am »

It is stated in the article a few times that lowering emissions was a major target on TDi engines.

My experience with diesel these days is almost exclusively commercial, but the DEF systems are in fact very simple and reliable. We have several now and they are much better than the soot-burner things were and use a third less fuel.

We miss a lot of good stuff here. The less 100 gram per km benchmark has produced some really cool cars that are very efficient. Gasoline and road taxes are still cheap enough here few would pay for it.
Your commercial experience - I bet these vehicles get extended driving periods on highway so that it can regenerate the DPF.

My comment was specific to the DPF and not DEF.  A common misconception is that DEF has gotten rid of the DPF.  Not true.  DEF is specific for reducing nitrous oxides whereas the DPF is for particulates (soot).

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 02:07:56 am »

Your commercial experience - I bet these vehicles get extended driving periods on highway so that it can regenerate the DPF.

My comment was specific to the DPF and not DEF.  A common misconception is that DEF has gotten rid of the DPF.  Not true.  DEF is specific for reducing nitrous oxides whereas the DPF is for particulates (soot).

The real issue here is that in many parts of the world there are simply too many people wanting to get around to make internal combustion, with either gasoline or diesel, impossible. Places like Beijing are living hells and more gas and diesel isn't going to improve on it much. It's a simple numbers game. If any Canadian complains about traffic congestion (like I regularly do), he/she needs to go to a place like Shanghai.