Author Topic: Oddest ghost cars you've seen?  (Read 14596 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Oddest ghost cars you've seen?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 01:29:48 pm »
The only unmarked car I'm aware of locally is a painfully obvious Taurus with steel wheels and black plastic door handles. So it's odd in the sense that they're not even trying.  :P

I'm assuming Fredericton? They aren't exactly known for imagination or flights of fancy.

The difference between Fredericton and Moncton is similar to the difference between Toronto and Montreal. Imagine a drunken, womanizing, gambler, then picture an accountant.  ;D

Moncton elected an accountant as Mayor?

The stuffy bureaucrats in Fredericton, both provincial and municipal, will never, ever be accused of being drunken, womanizing gamblers.

It took them almost 6 years to approve a grocery store (oh the SCANDAL) on the plat.

And the City bought up a strip club so they could shut it down, LOL.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 02:00:30 pm »
The only unmarked car I'm aware of locally is a painfully obvious Taurus with steel wheels and black plastic door handles. So it's odd in the sense that they're not even trying.  :P

I'm assuming Fredericton? They aren't exactly known for imagination or flights of fancy.

The difference between Fredericton and Moncton is similar to the difference between Toronto and Montreal. Imagine a drunken, womanizing, gambler, then picture an accountant.  ;D

The stuffy bureaucrats in Fredericton, both provincial and municipal, will never, ever be accused of being drunken, womanizing gamblers.

It took them almost 6 years to approve a grocery store (oh the SCANDAL) on the plat.

I hadn't heard about that! OMG that is definitely a Fredericton move! not that the Northstar was that great of a place. At all.  :P

Freddy is a really nice looking place, and a lot of people love it there, but I never really adjusted to the attitude. 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 02:13:39 pm »
They also leased the former Sweetwaters/iRock bar downtown for six months to let the exotic dancing license lapse to prevent the place from being reopened by an alleged organized crime gang. (That property has since been bought by the province and is being converted to a clinic.)

In theory the Northstar deal wasn't that bad, as it was a pretty run down building in an area that was seeing some new development. It was supposed to be flipped to a developer so that they could build apartments on the site but that hasn't happened yet.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 02:15:54 pm »

Thats a little dark ages. I would be more than a little miffed to hear that town council is in the morality business

Lighten up Francis.....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 02:49:33 pm »

Thats a little dark ages. I would be more than a little miffed to hear that town council is in the morality business

For the rest of the country, it would be a Heritage Minute. In Fredericton, it's a city council meeting.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqAgOOaJyLc

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 02:50:17 pm »

I'm with you but this wasn't just a case of morality (though it certainly played a part). It was a pretty sketchy spot in an evolving neighbourhood and the previous owner had died and his children wanted out. This seemed like a quick way to redevelop the land while in turn boosting surrounding property values. It was also a multiunit building so they didn't just buy a strip club.

Fun fact, I used to live on the same street as said club, just a couple blocks up.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 03:10:36 pm »

I'm with you but this wasn't just a case of morality (though it certainly played a part). It was a pretty sketchy spot in an evolving neighbourhood and the previous owner had died and his children wanted out. This seemed like a quick way to redevelop the land while in turn boosting surrounding property values. It was also a multiunit building so they didn't just buy a strip club.

Fun fact, I used to live on the same street as said club, just a couple blocks up.

When I was going to UNB in the 1980s, I lived on Ashfield street. Not that far away. The Northstar was pretty rough even then. I can't imagine it improved over the years.

Redevelopment is fine but why get all bent out of shape over a peeler bar or two? If a person is afraid of boobies, don't go. Seems pretty straight forward.

Meh, whatever. I'm very, very unlikely to ever move back. If I do head to an eastern city it would be Moncton, maybe Halifax.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 03:20:53 pm »
Redevelopment is fine but why get all bent out of shape over a peeler bar or two? If a person is afraid of boobies, don't go. Seems pretty straight forward.

Agreed. At this point they are illegal in Fredericton (the Northstar was considered legal nonconforming).

Meh, whatever. I'm very, very unlikely to ever move back. If I do head to an eastern city it would be Moncton, maybe Halifax.

I don't find Moncton appealing at all. It's a retail/service industry hub and the residents seem to pride themselves by how many chain stores and restaurants they can attract. Saint John and Fredericton have much better character IMO.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »
Not a ghost car, but the RCMP had a '99 Volvo S70 in full livery here in Ottawa.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 03:55:21 pm »
I don't find Moncton appealing at all. It's a retail/service industry hub and the residents seem to pride themselves by how many chain stores and restaurants they can attract. Saint John and Fredericton have much better character IMO.

I lived in all three. Moncton was by far the friendliest, had the best services, and the best business environment. Fredericton and Saint John were relentlessly snobby and cliquish, and impossibly bureaucratic when it came to development, unless the Irvings were involved (Saint John).

I knew more of my neighbours here and in Moncton after a few weeks than in the 11 years I lived in Fredericton in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 03:55:50 pm »
Not a ghost car, but the RCMP had a '99 Volvo S70 in full livery here in Ottawa.

Look at you being all on topic.  ;D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 06:57:31 pm »
CPS (Calgary) has a Nissan Murano, Chrysler Town & Country, and a Toyota Tacoma with a topper and ladder rack. I **hear** ongoing rumors that the RCMP have a few secret SRT Chargers sans badging and a Mustang GT (de-badged as well I would guess) for highway patrol between Calgary and Edmonton.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 11:11:52 pm »
CPS (Calgary) has a Nissan Murano, Chrysler Town & Country, and a Toyota Tacoma with a topper and ladder rack. I **hear** ongoing rumors that the RCMP have a few secret SRT Chargers sans badging and a Mustang GT (de-badged as well I would guess) for highway patrol between Calgary and Edmonton.

Yeah, apparently Ford offers a debadging package, hood and all.  :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:51 am »

It's SO never going to get old...  :rofl2:

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 09:36:58 am »

It's SO never going to get old...  :rofl2:

I was just going to write that. I just wish he swapped to Hercules G5000Z (215 / 40RZ17) tires for a smooth, no-bump ride.  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:32 pm »
 ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 09:42:33 pm »
We have Camrys in town with full EPS livery.....its hilarious.

They're hybrids - and they also have dark grey hybrid "ghost" cars.  The EPS also have a last-gen Accord Coupe with limo tint windows.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 12:18:23 am »
In all honesty...do police really need anything gnarlier than a Camry 99.9 percent of the time?

I'd say no.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 12:41:22 am »
In all honesty...do police really need anything gnarlier than a Camry 99.9 percent of the time?

I'd say no.
Would Vanishing Point feel the same with a guy in a Camry in pursuit lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 10:04:22 am »

Badass: