Author Topic: Feature: One From the Vault ' Route 66 in a Shelby GT500 and Charger SRT8  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Another blast from the past, in which Paul Williams drives historic Route 66.

Read More...

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
I'd pick the Shelby over the Charger any day of the week if I were the muscle car type. Even back in the days when I didn't know much about cars, I knew the Mustang. Route 66 and the mustang have some serious synergy that I can't believe a charger could compete with. I agree with Paul; the Charger for the weekdays, and the Mustang for the Weekends.

Still, I wouldn't buy either car. I like to fantasize about owning a muscle car, but I'd never actually buy one. I'd never take it to the track, and I'd get exhausted from being such a douche-bag while stop light racing everyone.

I'm the cruising type, I sometimes don't even match the speed limit. Which is why, when I drive 66, I'm taking something soft, and convertible. But I read Tim Falconer had an OK time in his old Maxima. So, I'm sure the trip is worth it in just about anything that will hold together.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
So everyone who has a muscle car is a douche bag that stoplight races??? Umm, thanks, so you own a Paseo, so you dropped out in high school and you and your husband own a hair salon?? If your going to generalize, check your facts.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
That's just what I'd use a big american car with a big V style engine for: Racing and being loud. Racing at the track, or in the city if I never bothered to go anywhere else. And being loud like everyone at muscle car shows. It's what the cars are best at over anything else, but those things upset a lot of people who aren't into it. I'd buy a muscle car to flex and show off, but I'd get tired of it and retire.

I'd get tired from being a douche-bag, because I wouldn't go to the track to race... but I'd still want to race. Me, I'm the douche in the story. Sorry if I hurt you.

What would you use your muscle car for?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Cruising, racing, stop light racing, vacations, going to work.......If I had a GT500, that would be my summer every day car, same thing people use a Corolla for, Id be doing the same thing in my GT500, but loving every second of it.

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
I'm sorry, but that Charger is one ugly car.  It was then........and it still is now.  A 4 door Charger is an insult anyway.  Now the Challenger, that's different.  Beautiful, well executed, but just a bit too big for me.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Charger instead of Challenger?  Huh?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
i'd take the Shelby, but not the one in the article, this one:

http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/08/02/shelby-cobra-289-fia-quick-spin-review-video/#continued

including a sweet teaser video at the bottom (about 1:20 in).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
That's just what I'd use a big american car with a big V style engine for: Racing and being loud. Racing at the track, or in the city if I never bothered to go anywhere else. And being loud like everyone at muscle car shows. It's what the cars are best at over anything else, but those things upset a lot of people who aren't into it. I'd buy a muscle car to flex and show off, but I'd get tired of it and retire.

I'd get tired from being a douche-bag, because I wouldn't go to the track to race... but I'd still want to race. Me, I'm the douche in the story. Sorry if I hurt you.

No offense please but you'll get it when you age a bit.
A friend of mine just bought a Charger SRT8. He said he always wanted to experience raw American muscle power, this one moment of adrenalin rush when you stomp on the go pedal and the thing just... GOES!!!!
Nothing to do with racing, tracking, or showing off. He is mature enough and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. It's one of those things he had on his bucket list. And I say - good for him!!! Shoot, now he made me want one too!

I don't look at other drivers anymore just to see if they are looking at me or my car with envy that my ride is cooler than theirs. I'm over that now.

Big enough to accommodate my family of 5 comfortably, MEAN looking with all possible toys whistles and creature comforts inside, the thing hauls a$$, and I don't care how it corners. The Charger SRT8 is my kind of ride. Love the 'stang too but more passenger room wins over.

Northernridge

To express my irreverence for political correctness.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile

Took out my friend's SRT for a test drive last Saturday.
I was impressed. The car is extremely easy to drive and is no different than any other large sedan, quite docile and very comfortable. Ran it over railway crossing at a fasat clip, the suspension just soaked it up. Even with 20" whells, there was no harshness to the ride.

Throttle mapping is very smart and unintimidating. However, when called upon, this thing hauls. You really have to watch the speedo if you want to keep your licence. 470HP from a 6.4 HEMI will do that.
Surprisingly, fuel economy wasn't all that bad showing around <8L/100km at a steady 90km/h with 4 adults in the car.

Great bang for the buck.

Northernridge

Took out my friend's SRT for a test drive last Saturday.
I was impressed. The car is extremely easy to drive and is no different than any other large sedan, quite docile and very comfortable. Ran it over railway crossing at a fasat clip, the suspension just soaked it up. Even with 20" whells, there was no harshness to the ride.

Throttle mapping is very smart and unintimidating. However, when called upon, this thing hauls. You really have to watch the speedo if you want to keep your licence. 470HP from a 6.4 HEMI will do that.
Surprisingly, fuel economy wasn't all that bad showing around <8L/100km at a steady 90km/h with 4 adults in the car.

Great bang for the buck.

I love modern muscle cars...all that power and still well-behaved...plus a nice ride for the the aging (speaking for myself).