Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 484625 times)

Junkcar_Audiowner

KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:01:43 pm »
Just got my new Civic rustproofed at different Krown location than I had been used to going to in the past.  I think that a good job was done but, NOT a great job.

This is the third vehicle that I had rustproofed by Krown. The first two were a Jeep Cherokee and the second was a Nissan Altima. Back then the job was done at the Krown on the Queensway/Kipling area in Toronto. That location (Queensway) did a fantastic job. I recommend them strongly. Here is what happened to me and my observations of tonight.

The Queensway location always drilled holes with a drill bit (short stubby) that took a couple of seconds to get through the steel of the car. The place I went to tonight used a different bit (longer) which took a whole lot longer to drill through and which was a little bit more difficult to get out after the hole was drilled.

Also, I was told that there were no manufacturer access holes . So , they had to drill all the holes. However, one of the guys noticed a plug on the underside of the rocker panel on both the driver and passenger side of the car. He pulled them out and then sprayed in there. This was discovered during the underside spraying of the car. As a result, I am guessing that the holes drilled into the bottom of both the front and rear door frames PROBABLY DID NOT HAVE TO BE DRILLED.

One guy did the spraying of the car at Queensway. And oh yes, the owner or his son was always there. At this place tonight, two guys sprayed. Sometimes they were not sure who did what. So it seemed. At Queensway, once the guy started spraying with those long tubes, he almost never stopped. My car looked like it was in a sauna..but instead of water , it was that special chemical oil they use at Krown. Misting all over and out from the cars doors/underside.  Now that impressed me 'cause I new that every crack was being penetrated.  Tonight however, at this new location I went to, the two guys walked around under the vehicle randomly , "spritzing" the bottom of the car. Sometimes with a hand held short nozzle and sometimes with a longer tube but, all the while criss-crossing each other and spritzing the bottom of the car as if they were trying to save on the oil stuff. At the Queensway location the guy kept spraying and spraying thoroughing, almost continuously and he was the only guy doing it. AT Queensway, when they inserted those metal rods into the metal holes and sprayed, you could really see the oil misting out from the other side..indicating that you are getting somer really good spreading and penetration of the stuff. At Queenswasy the guy inserted the metal rod, and SPRAYED IN AND OUT AND IN AND OUT. Oil even spilled a bit as the rod was pulled out. I didn't seem to see as much of that at this place I went to. I didnt really see much of that oil spilling out as before.

Becaue there was one guy spraying, his method was very organized in his approach and never crissed crossed all over the  place. He just went right around the car spraying.  The place I just went to seemed to be a bit random.

I also checked my trunk lid after I got home. I rubbed my hands along the underside of the lid and found no oil residue on my fingers at all. That was on the left side but, on the right side, there was oil there. Most of the underside of the trunk lid actually had no oil, especially underneath and in between those metal supports that seem to stick out and hold the lights and wires and such in place.

The Queensway location sprayed every door handle and window trim on the  outside. That means between the trim and the body of the car. VERY very thorough job. The place I went to tonight did not at all.

AT Queensway, they washed my car afterwards. This place told me not to wash for a couple of days. Mind you , I did go to Queensway during the summer months and not in the winter like now.

I generally recommend the Queenswasy Krown location and I wish I went there. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:29:51 pm »
Name the location.  ::)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 08:54:36 am »
I keep hearing about this Krown stuff, but I thought it only went on the underside?  Does it go everwhere, it sounds like it would get on your clothes and everything?

I'd go ape if they started drilling holes in my car!!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline yugrus

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 09:41:08 am »
The first treatment at Burlington Krown location was perfect. I was there watching every step. The car had been dripping for good 8 months; the oil was everywhere, so it was all good. But when I came back in a year my experience wasn't as pleasant. This time they had these kids spraying vehicles, and what a difference... I had to point what they missed several times, yet the car did not drip as long.
Next time I'll talk to the manager, they're very nice people. I hope I'll get what I'm looking for.

thang

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 09:53:58 am »
Name the location.  ::)

It's on Queensway, West of Kipling, South Side, Beside IKEA

siwash

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 10:39:10 am »
I hear that rust-proofing really doesn't make a difference....

how often does that stuff need to be applied and what does it cost?

Offline haris

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 10:43:48 am »

how often does that stuff need to be applied and what does it cost?
Does it make a difference? Spaces that would get filled by water and salt during winter get filled with heavy oil. Seems like it would work, just based on that.
Why it might not work? Properly primed metal will never rust, as it's not exposed to air and humidity, so...

How often?
Once a year. Around $100-$120.

Offline yugrus

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 10:44:44 am »

What are your sources?

With Krown, it is around $100, annual applicatioon.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 10:46:50 am by yugrus »

siwash

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 11:17:23 am »
there was a thread on this board a few months back i think... several people said it was a bunch of BS

personally, i don't have an opinion on it cause I haven't clue if it works or not..

i'd be open to trying it - $100 isn't bad

is there plenty of evidnece out there that the stuff works?

thanks

siwash

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 11:49:03 am »
i'm not doubting it really... just asking.

btw, is it too late to  put it on a car that is several years old that has never previously received a treatment?

my mom drive a 95 olds 98 that she intends to keep several more years. It's nice car and i think she should try and keep it rust free as long as possibel.. currently, there's no rust that i can see

when is it best to apply? i'm assuming fall?

ghost

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 12:20:22 pm »
how long do you plan to keep the car? Also are you sure you will be doing this for the next 4,5 ,8,10 years? Do civics not come with galvanized steel? Do you not wash you car weekly?  :)
Rustproofing is like those PermaShine jobs.  ;)

Offline yugrus

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 12:28:45 pm »
Do civics not come with galvanized steel?

Yeah, sometimes even with titanium panels. Or with ketchup for this matter.  ;)

Offline yugrus

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 12:36:01 pm »
Maybe every 2 or 3 years.

The cost of annual rustproofing is so negligible (less then $10/mo) compared to other maintenance costs that it appears almost impossible to dump...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 04:19:55 pm »
It is most unfortunate that CD does not have Krown as a sponsor so this topic could recieve a sticky.

Here is a history of Krown.

The idea was invented by a Canadian airline pilot who flew for TWA.  He made a deal with TWA to spray all their transatlantic aircraft due to ocean salt.  The company he formed was Lear Chemical.  This pilot also happened to have a summer place at Shallow Lake just north of Owen Sound.  Consequently, the first RUST CHECK was started outside Shallow Lake attached to a local autobody.  Soon after, this pilot realized he did not have the time to run a retail franchise operation so he sold the operation to a bunch of guys that turned out to be dead beats.  However, the deal was they were to use the chemical spray from Lear.

After years of a few planned bankruptcies by the Rust Check dead beats and watering down of the chemical and a very long litigation, all the Rust Check dealers were released from their non competition clauses and Krown was formed as a co-operative.

Now it is not a perfect world and Krown dealers differ so beware, however the two sprays they use are vastly superior to those of Rust Check.  As for the Krown dealer at Markham and Eglinton, if they are the old Polish or Ukrainian couple from Leaside that have the shop tucked away at the back of a plaza on the southeast corner, they are the original Rust Check people of the entire GTA and are beyond excellent.

The Krown people in Owen Sound are the original Rust Check ppl period.  That's where I get my vehicles done.  The Army gets all their vehicles done there as well from the ultra modern Army base outside of Owen Sound that occupies 20 miles of prime Georgian Bay water front and that was stolen from the locals in 1942.  >:(

Krown applications are more like $135.00 I believe plus tax.  If I was in the GTA I'd get it done every 2 years.

Krown is best applied in summer as heat allows the chemical to creep faster/further.  June is a good month because the dealers are dead at this time.  Bad time is fall, anytime from Sept. 1 to X-mas is very busy and obviously the opportunity to spend more time on each car is not there.

For the 99% of you ppl that never see the undersides of your car and the massive and complex wiring connectors and harnesses, particularly with automatics, together with brake lines and fuel lines, it might be hard to rationalize this service.  However, any mechanic can tell a Krown car and to a lessor extent a Rust Check car when it is lifted up in the air.  Everything is in such better condition namely the electrical connectors and the steel hydraulic lines regardless were the car has been driven.

Civics do not have galvanized steels fenders or inner fenders and are most in need of this service regardless were they are operated.  Porsche are all galvanized. :)

Owner's who actually do the spraying have the best service.  Krown shops are like Midas; some good some not.

The drilling of holes is a complete non issue.

Remove your trunk liner yourself before you go.  Chances are you will get a better application. 

Tell the Krown shop to load up your trunk lid.  Some don't because ppl complain that it's too messy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 04:25:57 pm by articsteve »

gta_driver

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 10:21:26 pm »
I've had my Q45 sparayed every year since 1996. The Q has no rust anywhere. I go to there Sheppard and McCowan location in Scarborough and usually have Krown reapplied for $100 in March or April. Corrosion is most active in the months where there is warmer weather. They have consistently sprayed the stuff genoursly everywhere on the car.

Offline picard

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 10:30:44 pm »
what kind of chemical was used in rust proofing?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 11:08:00 pm »

What kind of chemical is Krown?

Get a can of WD40 and spray it out.  Krown is a bit thicker than that.  Or go to a Krown location and buy a can.  You can also by a can of Rust Check at Canadian Tire.  However Krown is superior to Rust Check.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 12:01:18 pm »
Do new cars even need this?

The last Toyota I bought had a 12 year rust/corrosion warranty, so if it gets even slightly corroded, take it back...

I can understand using this stuff on older vehicles but new?

avtoller

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 12:13:52 pm »
Bob, I take it you aren't familiar with Ontario winters.  :rofl2: In BC, the climate is much like what you are used to, and here, I would agree. Rust treatment is a complete waste of money in modern cars, but there, I probably would spend the money even today.

barrie1

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 03:10:09 pm »
Avtoller is correct in that come to Ont and see the nice Leopard spots on the cars and trucks. We do use a lot of Salt on our roads and it does take its toll if we don't undercoat our cars. It even helps with the soundproofing part of driving a car as well.  :)