Author Topic: Roofer doesn't want to write shingle warranty on contract  (Read 1506 times)

Offline nick r.

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: toyota corrolla
Roofer doesn't want to write shingle warranty on contract
« on: July 05, 2015, 04:38:41 pm »
A roofer came to my home and made a contract to replace the shingles of my roof. Its indicated on the contract in print that theres a 10 year workmanship warranty. The shingles have a limited lifetime material warranty and I asked him to write that down on the contract. He said it wasn't necessary to write that down and gave me the shingles manufacture's brochure that shows the name and type of shingles and their colors. The roofer said its stated on that shingles brochure that theres a limited lifetime material warranty and thats all you need. Is this good enough to prove warranty of the shingles or does he need to write it down on the contract? I signed the contract already but he didnt sign it. Does he also need to sign the contract?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Roofer doesn't want to write shingle warranty on contract
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:19 pm »
Tell him to fack-off.

Offline nick r.

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 05:19:20 pm »
Tell him to fack-off.
The brochure he gave me does indicate lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, im just wondering if the manufacturer will still honor their warranty IF the roofer doesnt indicate the warranty on the contract. I imagine the manufacturer will??
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:56:59 pm by nick r. »

Offline nick r.

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 06:09:32 pm »
Ask the contractor why he is opposed to specifying in the contract the warranty.  The language need not commit him to honouring the warranty.  It can simply indicate that the shingles come with the warranty specified in the product brochure, to wit, lifetime shingle warranty and 10 year labour.  That said, these warranties are, more or less, useless anyways.       
He just said its not necessary to write the warranty of the shingles in the contract because it states warranty on the shingle brochure from the manufacturer and I asked him twice. If some of the shingles lets say are faulty and leak in 5 years, the manufacture warranty will cover it if proven the shingles were faulty, but will the manufaturer still cover it when the roofer NEVER indicated the warranty in the contract. I imagine they still would. I guess maby I would have to contact the manufacturer directly instead of the roofer. My only proof of purchase of those shingles will be the contract and the receipt paid to roofer. Of course most likely the shingles will last maby 15 years but ya never know.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:17:01 pm by nick r. »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:27:12 pm »
Get a metal roof

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:02:29 pm »
I don't see why the contractor cannot write that the shingles come with limited lifetime manufacturer's warranty  ??? But his business - his rules. At the very least I'd want him specify the make and product number of the shingles that he will lay. You absolutely have to have both parties' signatures or it's not a contract. Also see what kind of online reviews the guy gets. Good rating is usually a "warranty" that potential issues will be addressed, that is if the company has been around awhile. 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 07:06:07 pm »
Get a metal roof

Maybe, maybe not.  Cost can outweigh the benefit depending upon the long term plans for the home.
When we got our metal roof it was cheaper then a shingle roof

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 07:38:17 pm »
Roofers grow on trees...bottom of the contractor food chain IMO. If you don't trust this one, get another.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:56:25 am »
Has anyone in history ever collected on a shingle warranty claim?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:24:15 pm »
I would be more concerned with the workmanship rather than the shingles.

Offline nick r.

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:28:09 pm »
Has anyone in history ever collected on a shingle warranty claim?

What I can't believe most of all is how the companies of shingles deceive us all with their warranties. 50 YEAR OR LIFETIME WARRANTY they claim. But if sun damage occurs on 1 side of the home in 15 years as what happens with my home, they dont even honor a 15 year warranty as they find their way out of it. They claim the shingles were more exposed to sun on 1 side. YES THATS RIGHT, more sun appeared on 1 side than the other sides, SO????? The shingles still got damaged by normal means on 1 side of the roof and should be covered under warranty. I didnt put a giant magnifying glass to damage the shingles on 1 side, the natural sun did it. Should be covered but they worm themselves out of their word. Im not asking 50 years, 20 or 15 at least. not even that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:33:06 pm by nick r. »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:42:16 pm »
Roofers grow on trees...bottom of the contractor food chain IMO. If you don't trust this one, get another.
Yeah, airbalancer are no long on the bottom  ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:44 pm »
Make sure you get asphalt with woven fiberglass base mat, not organic.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted