Author Topic: All-new Audi A4 and A4 Avant Announced  (Read 20237 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: All-new Audi A4 and A4 Avant Announced
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:29 pm »
That maybe so. But when you arrive at your friends house/work/family and looks like the last Audi you brought - Then kinda looses the point. When you buy a new car it should look like new car. Most people are complete clueless whats under the skin.

Why would somebody buy a car and care what other people think? I buy a car for myself and don't give two sh!ts what other people think of it.

Well lots of people do.

That makes me sad

Same here.  F*** what everyone else thinks.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 09:09:03 pm »
That maybe so. But when you arrive at your friends house/work/family and looks like the last Audi you brought - Then kinda looses the point. When you buy a new car it should look like new car. Most people are complete clueless whats under the skin.

Why would somebody buy a car and care what other people think? I buy a car for myself and don't give two sh!ts what other people think of it.

Well lots of people do.

That makes me sad

Yup.  Why ANYONE would buy a vehicle based on what OTHER people think will always be beyond my comprehension. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 09:49:55 pm »

Well lots of people do.

That makes me sad

Yup.  Why ANYONE would buy a vehicle based on what OTHER people think will always be beyond my comprehension.

Well unfortunately it's true. otherwise we'd all drive beige corolla and nobody would bother buying flash motors like BMW's Audi's and Porsche. They be no need for the luxury car market.  Humans by nature are driven by status.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 09:55:47 pm »

Well lots of people do.

That makes me sad

Well unfortunately it's true. otherwise we'd all drive beige corolla and nobody would bother buying flash motors like BMW's Audi's and Porsche. They be no need for the luxury car market.  Humans by nature are driven by status.

Cripes, narrow minded much?  Do you really think that everyone that buys a Bimmer, Audi, MB, Infiniti, Lexus, etc is doing it solely to impress others?  Maybe......just maybe they just love the vehicle and nothing more!  Not saying that there are not poseurs out there, but you can't paint the entire buying market with the same brush. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 10:02:11 pm »

Well lots of people do.

That makes me sad

Cripes, narrow minded much?  Do you really think that everyone that buys a Bimmer, Audi, MB, Infiniti, Lexus, etc is doing it solely to impress others?  Maybe......just maybe they just love the vehicle and nothing more!  Not saying that there are not poseurs out there, but you can't paint the entire buying market with the same brush.

Mr. Meow is 100% troll. Unfortunately he/she/it pops in a few times a year to drop bombs. He/she/it has been banned many times under several user names.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 10:12:02 pm »

Well lots of people do.

That makes me sad

Mr. Meow is 100% troll. Unfortunately he/she/it pops in a few times a year to drop bombs. He/she/it has been banned many times under several user names.

Ahhhh, so another GregB/Catseye68/Fixer type of member eh?   ;)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 10:44:11 pm »
Yep  :P

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 10:46:42 pm »
Narrow minded much?  Do you really think that everyone that buys a Bimmer, Audi, MB, Infiniti, Lexus, etc is doing it solely to impress others?  .

I don't think it's narrow minded. humans like to show their status. They might be a small minority who don't. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 10:54:26 pm »
Narrow minded much?  Do you really think that everyone that buys a Bimmer, Audi, MB, Infiniti, Lexus, etc is doing it solely to impress others?  .

I don't think it's narrow minded. humans like to show their status. They might be a small minority who don't.

Status focused, showy people are subset of luxury buyers. There are all kinds of people who buy luxury branded cars for various reasons.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Northernridge

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 11:01:25 pm »
Another perspective....I drive the Berlin taxi because I really like traditional saloons...a lot. At the same time it's part of my 'work clothes'. As a consultant, I'm fine with prospective clients noticing what I drive and I'd rather not work with clients who imagine that I make too much money. I'd prefer that clients hire me because they believe I'm successful because I'm good at what I do – and can help them. I'm perfectly happy if the competitor who rolls in after me drives some modest vehicle and does not appear to have made to the bigs.

After I leave a pitch I want want prospects talking about my expertise and whether I can help them succeed rather than how much I charge/earn. The Berlin taxi is like a decent set of clothes or nice watch. A trivial but real factor in helping prospects decide whether or not I'm for real. It shouldn't matter but it does...human nature.

When you go to a job interview does it matter what you wear?

If you are hiring a contractor who shows up in a rusty pickup does it influence your opinion?

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 11:15:26 pm »
I deliver my kegs of beer in a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder.........if I so happened to deliver them in a brand new X5, would my beer sell any quicker?  Nope! 

I hear what you're saying NR and I agree with some of it.  But did you buy your berlin taxi solely to impress the people around?  I'm thinking not. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2015, 11:25:11 pm »

If you are hiring a contractor who shows up in a rusty pickup does it influence your opinion?

Not for the bad, no.  Maybe he drives a rusty pickup because he doesn't overcharge people for his work.  :)

I could care less.  When I ask to see his portfolio..that's all that matters.  His choice in vehicle?  Not so much.

Nobody has ever looked out the window during an interview with me to see what car I was driving....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 06:46:22 pm »

When I drive around in my 2002 Ford SVT Lightning, I prefer to show those showing their 'high status' my rear lights.

::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:47 pm »

When I drive around in my 2002 Ford SVT Lightning, I prefer to show those showing their 'high status' my rear lights.

You can roll, but a 13.2 quarter mile speaks for itself.   ;D

That's it?  What a joke!  I'd have expected more.  Why so slow?  Traction limited? 

What mods?  Details?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:00:38 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:21 pm »

That's it?  What a joke!  I'd have expected more.  Why so slow?  Traction limited? 

What mods?  Details?

Ha!  That was in Calgary so not altitude corrected.  Plus I am a shitty driver.  High 12's were probably possible; indeed, I have trouble controlling wheel spin.

Mods will be listed in another thread - I am finishing a couple of things up this summer.

Ok...was wondering.  Stock was 380hp and well into 400s is easy with exhaust, intake, pulley and tune.  So I was wondering why it seemed a bit slow.

You using drag radials?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:41 pm »

What mods?  Details?

Ha!  That was in Calgary so not altitude corrected.  Plus I am a shitty driver.  High 12's were probably possible; indeed, I have trouble controlling wheel spin.

Mods will be listed in another thread - I am finishing a couple of things up this summer.

Ok...was wondering.  Stock was 380hp and well into 400s is easy with exhaust, intake, pulley and tune.  So I was wondering why it seemed a bit slow.

You using drag radials?

Semis - Nittos.  Still learning and having fun with this project 'car.'  I may pick your brain going forward given your experience. ;D

Get a torque converter!   ;)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 11:24:24 pm »

Find it ironic at all that you don't care what other people think of the car you buy, yet you are implicitly disparaging somebody else's reasoning behind the purchase of their car?

If impressing other people is what makes someone happy, why is that an issue? and it is worth remembering that we are the minority in how well informed we are about vehicles, about our taste for wagons and manuals, and that it is not unreasonable to think that more people crave respect through the brand they buy than the reward of a perfect heel-toe downshift.

Thing people don't care about status or what others think - ever hear of the fashion and makeup industry?
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 11:40:27 pm »

I roll not because of the "super fast truck", but because you imply people buy high status cars for their speed. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 08:48:06 am »

Find it ironic at all that you don't care what other people think of the car you buy, yet you are implicitly disparaging somebody else's reasoning behind the purchase of their car?

If impressing other people is what makes someone happy, why is that an issue? and it is worth remembering that we are the minority in how well informed we are about vehicles, about our taste for wagons and manuals, and that it is not unreasonable to think that more people crave respect through the brand they buy than the reward of a perfect heel-toe downshift.

Thing people don't care about status or what others think - ever hear of the fashion and makeup industry?

Disparaging? Please tell me you are trying to be funny. Since when is asking a question then stating my opinion disparaging?

And do you honestly think that buying products only to impress other people is a good thing? I won't even comment about the fashion/makeup industry just to not derail this thread but I'm sure you can take a good guess how I also feel about them.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 10:07:21 am »

Disparaging? Please tell me you are trying to be funny. Since when is asking a question then stating my opinion disparaging?

And do you honestly think that buying products only to impress other people is a good thing? I won't even comment about the fashion/makeup industry just to not derail this thread but I'm sure you can take a good guess how I also feel about them.

The bold section above I can't help but interpret as anything other than disparaging. While it is a question, asking it implies that said reasoning is so beneath someone of your own superior self-awareness that you can't even imagine someone being so simple minded. I think we all know people that crave affirmation from others and we all crave it ourselves in certain areas, and buying fancy cars to impress others is one reflection of that. But if you really have never met anyone who has ever bought something to impress others, and can't imagine anyone doing so in our materialistic and status-obsessed culture than you have lived a blessed life.

If not, my bad. Sorry.

And i hope that answers your question. (For the record, I totally bought my Jetta Wagon to impress the ladies!)  ;)