Author Topic: Live vicariously - help me spend someone else's car allowance  (Read 9396 times)

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Live vicariously - help me spend someone else's car allowance
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2014, 03:02:08 pm »
The 2014 E class looks to be had for C class money these days, and I love the idea of a diesel, but I don't think she likes the idea of pumping it. The C class diesels aren't out yet, that I understand. If she gets a diesel, I'm deathly afraid she'll pump gas into it by force of habit.
Re winter tires:  Of course this can be built into the cost of the lease.  Do it. Do it. Do it!  ...but remember that it's typically well beyond the price you'd pay elsewhere (dealers tend not to sell steelies for fancy Germanic cars).  Assuming $2500 for winters, and $200/month for insurance, that's about $275/month of her budget alone...so the car must be about $800-900/month on lease to stay within that $1,200 allowance.  At that price, you're not going to get an E-class (starts at about $1,000/month) unless there's some significant cash on the hood and she doesn't care about the premium package options.

If she wants interior space, the C-class will be too small.  I think the E-class is the best bet, but she has to be cautious with pricing to stay within her budget (or fork out additional $ for the enjoyment factor).

I think if she gets rid of the need for it to be a sedan, the GLK 250 or Q5 TDI are great options for the long commute within her budget.
Yeah, we'll have to see how the numbers shake out. I prefer the idea of an AWD sedan for highway driving, and I think she wants a sedan, and though she has two young kids, they aren't that big yet, and they have the van for family outings.

And I see the upgrades on the C class start bringing the price up exponentially. Wow.

Will keep the forum updated. It's been a while since I got to torment a car salesperson.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 08:44:49 pm »
Finally news on this front.

They've decided on an Audi A4 "Progressiv" package w/8 speed tiptronic Quattro. Black metallic paint is about the only option.

They have a quote from Pfaff. What a disaster of a page. I have an engineering degree, and I can hardly make sense of it. The MSRP numbers do not appear to match the Audi website. They nickel and dime you for everything.

They also got an Unhaggle number, and I burned an APA quote on it, and those MSRP numbers, rebate amounts and lease rates do not match. It's a clusterfark.

I'm going to call APA tomorrow to untangle this mess.

Audi has $2000 off (apparently) right now and 0.9% lease rates for 36 months. I know the new model is coming in September, but she seems happy with this one. Any feedback?

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:26 pm »
Seems very nice. As someone who has had good luck so far with models towards the end of their cycle, I would definitely buy an A4 even if the new model comes out next year. Thing is, she has to really like it, just the way it is. No wishing it had something that might show up on the next model...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2015, 11:41:29 pm »
There will be a few things they'll miss out on for the new generation but powertrain doesn't look like it'll be one of them.

Probably nicer materials though to fight the new C-Class and definitely will have new electronics suite....judging by the TT pretty damn fancy one too.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2015, 10:05:25 am »
Finally made sense of the numbers last night. The APA price is pretty much the same as the Unhaggle price. Unhaggle just rolls Freight and fees into the financed amount, making the amount due at signing smaller. Otherwise, pretty much the same deal.

They say they'll do it this week. I'll try for pics.