Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Dodge Caravan, 2001-2007  (Read 10266 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Dodge Caravan, 2001-2007
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:07:11 am »

If you can find a sweet deal on a plum Caravan among all the stinky prunes, go for it, and stash the money for that rainy day when the transmission, or some other pricey component, requires attention, says Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Dodge Caravan, 2001-2007
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:59:08 am »
While it's true the earlier Gen 4 vans had quite a few issues Chrysler seems to have ironed most of the bugs out by the later model years.  2006 and 2007 model year vans have been known to be fairly reliable.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 01:19:30 pm »
What a thankless task for Chris Chase to have to review these All-Canadian icons of
mediocrity which epitomize Chrysler's road to ruin. I give him credit for being factual, direct and diplomatic without resorting to euphemisms . Go ahead and grab yourself an AJAC award Chris, you deserve it for selfless public service. While others are assigned  a week in a dreamboat C.C. sifts through the dross for our benefit.

Sadly, anyone likely to buy one of these probably does not do much research prior to
plunking down the cash.

For several years in the States Chrysler offered a lifetime power train warranty on these beasts but the idea never made it across the border. That is a pity because we Canucks deserve at least equal treatment for our loyalty to these dubious automotive
achievements.

coast

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »
The reality is Caravans are far more reliable then people give them credit for.  They built millions of them and of course you'll hear far more noise from the relative few that have problems then the countless vans that endlessly go about their day to day routine without an issue.

We have had 5 Caravans in our family over the years starting with an 88.  Only the 91 had a transmission problem.  My mom is long retired now and still drives her 2001 Caravan.  9 years and nothing but routine maintainence and some minor bits and pieces.

Hondas and Toyota vans seem better built but cost way more and prone to very expensive repairs.

Anyone looking for a used minivan should do their research, find a well cared for example and I'll bet you won't be able to find a better, more practical, more reliable van for the price then a Caravan.

purple43

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »
I'm on my third Caravan since 1988 -  all bought new. Last one was a '94, which I drove until 2006. All have been great vehicles. I do a tranny flush every 50,000 km. Have had zero transmission problems. If you ever do have to replace a transmission, a new one costs far less than for a Honda or Toyota. Why does Consumer Reports never publish anything relating the number of complaints they receive on a particular vehicle to the total population of that vehicle?

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 07:11:09 pm »

For several years in the States Chrysler offered a lifetime power train warranty on these beasts but the idea never made it across the border. That is a pity because we Canucks deserve at least equal treatment for our loyalty to these dubious automotive achievements.

Was it not after the prior bankruptcy they came out with the 7 year / 115,000 km warantee?  I remember the US one was also 'better' than the Canadian if I recall correctly.
Fortune favours the bold!

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 07:42:55 pm »
the Japanese minivans have their share of problems too.

the transmission in my 2004 Honda odyssey failed prematurely; less than 80K kms.  seems like Honda simply transplanted the V6 engine and transmission from the Honda accord directly into the odyssey forgetting that the odyssey weighs about 1000 pounds more....without passengers.  With 6-7 passengers, their gear and full tank of gas, the odyssey could be carrying up to 2500 pounds more than an Accord.  Then take said overburdened minivan on a long road trip over some of BC's scenic mountain landscapes and you've got yourself a ticking time bomb.  The cost to me was a transmission rebuild, (out of warranty) an overnight stay at a fleabag motel,  six 1-way Greyhound bus tickets for my passengers, the cost of the towing and the ruined vacation.  Made me wonder if it was worth the $12000 premium I paid over a similarly equipped Chrysler product.  The Caravan may have also left me stranded on a highway, but I would have paid a lot less for the privilege.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 11:37:19 pm »
I'd like to join in on the general appreciation for the Caravan. My dad drives an 04 with ~270,000km on it and it runs just fine. He only had regular maintenance to do and a few minor things. Nothing expensive. OTOH I know someone with an Odyssey, the old one, and he is on his 4th(!) transmission now.

Offline Cory X

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:58:49 am »
I am in a family of auto mechanics and the main reason the Caravan's transmissions fail is high mileage,wrong type of transmission fluid (real common dont trust the quick change oil/trans places and never flush your engine oil..never unless your vehicle is submerged in water)  and overloaded vans...

You cant tow a small trailer,carry 7 people and the roof rack if full,back of van full of gear !! It's funny when a Caravan comes in with 260,000 km and the owner is complaining its transmission failed !!!!! Some people should give their head a shake !!

Toyota has  transmission problems from the 90's,Honda as well (I know first hand my 06 Acura TL)..Honda's are real bad its cars,suv's,trucks suffer from tranny failure from new,timing belt and waterpump failures all when new and low mileage,now some Honda's have cracking engine blocks..

Toyota had engine sludge since the 1990's-now..Bad welds on the Sienna's doors,they actually pop open when driving !!Rust issues, Plus the new engine blowing up disaster !

And alot of 3.0 Mitshubishi powered Chrysler minivans had bad engines that burned oil and bad transmissions but those were Mitshubishi built engines and transmissions..that really stuck with CR and they never gave Chrysler a chance after that.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 10:05:42 am »
I am in a family of auto mechanics and the main reason the Caravan's transmissions fail is high mileage,wrong type of transmission fluid (real common dont trust the quick change oil/trans places and never flush your engine oil..never unless your vehicle is submerged in water)  and overloaded vans...

You cant tow a small trailer,carry 7 people and the roof rack if full,back of van full of gear !! It's funny when a Caravan comes in with 260,000 km and the owner is complaining its transmission failed !!!!! Some people should give their head a shake !!

This must be the same reason that the Honda and Toyota trannys fail... ::)
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 02:18:07 pm »
Of course there must have been some half decent Caravans produced. If they fell into the hands of highly diligent owners they may have provided reasonable service but there is no QUANTITATIVE measure by which a Caravan can be considered reliable.

I can hardly wait for the Used Vehicle review of the Cavalier to learn from posters how anecdotally 'great' they were unless greatness is defined by the provision of job security to mechanics across the country.

We should be thankful for resources like Canadian Driver which investigate and communicate the objective facts  about  used vehicle histories at the risk of offending potential corporate advertisers. As consumers we are bombarded by
excessively optimistic messaging about the virtues of every car on the road which
is why it is so helpful to hear how well these vehicles really hold up over time.

Finally, I actually hope Chrysler does turn it around and  raise their standards in a quantifiable manner the way many other companies have done. Other makes have gone from chumps to champs so why can't they?

coast

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 03:42:14 pm »
"but there is no QUANTITATIVE measure by which a Caravan can be considered reliable."

Unless you want to consider the millions of people who have bought Caravans and are happy with them.  Many of which buy another at trade in time. 

Of course you know more then them because you don't like Caravans and read that they were unreliable so that is the way it is.

Lemons don't normally sell well but the Caravan is often in the top 10 selling vehicles in Canada.  Perhaps it isn't as bad as you want to believe.

No one is saying they are bulletproof (nothing is) and they do feel a little cheap inside.  However they are not the duds some people insist on claiming.

Care to name a better van for the price?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »
CR's test results are hardly quantitative, because they provide no frame of reference. No facts about reliability, other than the fact that some cars are more reliable than others.

From reading CR, you'd think their should be dead Caravans littering the streets of Toronto. I can't say I have noticed any more of them than any other vehicle out there.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »
Great post.
So much negativity around here, so it is nice to hear someone speak from positive experience.

Leedo21

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 12:45:23 pm »
Quote: " Competitors like the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey and even Koreans like the Kia Sedona and Hyundai Entourage (now discontinued) offer most of the same stuff the Chrysler-built vans have, but they have it wrapped in, generally-speaking, more reliable packaging."

Thank you Chris for your wonderful journalism....  After laughing for twenty minutes at how unbelievably biased you are to Chrysler, I need to point out that the so called "more reliable" vehicles you listed include a vehicle that is DISCONTINUED!!!!  Last I checked Chrysler is still making vans... and last I checked the new 2011 Chrysler/Dodge vans are going to beat EVERY competitor in terms of, ride quality, interior, price and overall RELIABILITY!  I'm shocked you didn't include the Ford and GM vans in your rediculous list... as they are also discountinued! 

But hey, thanks for the unbiased review that focuses on the points!

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 04:21:30 pm »
Quote: " Competitors like the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey and even Koreans like the Kia Sedona and Hyundai Entourage (now discontinued) offer most of the same stuff the Chrysler-built vans have, but they have it wrapped in, generally-speaking, more reliable packaging."

Thank you Chris for your wonderful journalism....  After laughing for twenty minutes at how unbelievably biased you are to Chrysler, I need to point out that the so called "more reliable" vehicles you listed include a vehicle that is DISCONTINUED!!!!  Last I checked Chrysler is still making vans... and last I checked the new 2011 Chrysler/Dodge vans are going to beat EVERY competitor in terms of, ride quality, interior, price and overall RELIABILITY!  I'm shocked you didn't include the Ford and GM vans in your rediculous list... as they are also discountinued! 

But hey, thanks for the unbiased review that focuses on the points!

I didn't include the Ford and GM vans in that list because they aren't really any more reliable than the Caravan. It doesn't matter whether a van has been discontinued or not; if it was built at one point, it's a competitor in the used vehicle market. Also, I don't care what the 2011 Chrysler vans are going to do. This article was about used vans, not new ones. Thanks for reading; hope life in Windsor is treating you well.
I used to work here.

Nicolai

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 11:24:22 am »
I bought a used 2003 Caravan 5 years ago.  It now has 225,000 kms. and has been very reliable.  I was afraid of buying a Caravan, but on the recommedation of a friend who runs an auto wrecking yard, who told me he had 8 engines and transmissions on the shelf he wasn't selling, I bought it.  I paid $8k and at that time Odysseys were over $20K.  And I am not a Chrysler fan or a fan of any domestics.  

I've replaced the front sway bar bushings, power steering pump, the passenger side power window motor died, and replaced the front rotors and calipers, all stuff that is simple and cheap to fix yourself.  I would buy another one tommorow.

chrysler man

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 04:08:40 pm »
I don't understand where the unreliable vans are.  I'm on my 5th Grand Caravan and everyone of them have been very reliable.  I bought each of them when they were about 2 years old and loved every one of them.  I wonder if it is the van or the drivers that make a vehicle unreliable?  The reason you see so many Caravans on the road is that people like them! 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:18:44 pm »
I don't understand where the unreliable vans are.  I'm on my 5th Grand Caravan and everyone of them have been very reliable.  I bought each of them when they were about 2 years old and loved every one of them.  I wonder if it is the van or the drivers that make a vehicle unreliable?  The reason you see so many Caravans on the road is that people like them! 

And they are inexpensive to buy.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 01:17:18 am »
I bought a used 2006 Grand Caravan and have had it for over a year.  I drove it all the way to Alaska through some pretty rough dirt roads.  I've put 30,000 km on my Grand Caravan in just over a year that I've owned it.  I must say the van has performed quite well and I've had no problems.  The fact is these vans are cheap to buy I think largely because the unpopularity of minivans.  I took advantage of poor resale because of public perception.  The van has served me very well.

The stow n' go seating is wonderful as I use my van to carry stuff all the time.  The amount of space inside is huge and the vehicle's wheelbase is long, but maneuvering and parallel parking is pretty easy.  The high seating position and generous window space provides good sight lines.  Honestly I love this vehicle.  It drives well too.  Yes, the engine is low-tech but it works, just could be a little smoother at idle.  The transmission shifts buttery smooth.  Just don't floor the accelerator from every stop light in these vans!

As for the interior, well, everyone complains about hard plastics and everything.  The Grand Caravan's have plenty of hard plastics, but the the upper dash is a padded vinyl, which I find pretty decent.  The fact is, the interior works quite well.  It doesn't feel cramped like most cars (and I'm not tall or a big guy).  I actually prefer the column shifter than a middle console shifter.  Now I imagine most people will roll their eyes at that comment, but honestly the column shifter makes much more sense.   And there's no intrusive middle console taking up space.  Most vehicles prior to the 1980's had column shifters.  I truly believe modern vehicles went with console shifters (automatic tranny) to seem more 'sporty' which is a totally dumb design decision in my opinion.  I'd say bring back the column shifter!

I think if anyone jumps into a Grand Caravan from previously driving any average size sedan, the Caravan will feel really big.  After a couple months you'll find the Caravan is really not that big.  Dodge engineered this vehicle very well in terms of driveability and function because they were not forced to engineer any ridiculous 'sporty' characteristics.  This vehicle is totally function and it delivers.  The fuel mileage could be a little better, but the newer vans with the newer engines have solved that problem.

I don't even know why people buy SUV's over a minivan.  Honestly, any minivan is a better vehicle for most people who never go off road.  Are people so driven by perception these days that they can't be seen driving a minivan?  I mean, fu_ck, talk about a failure of the human race.

Anyway, I guess I'm glad because I was able to buy my van pretty cheap because it's unpopular.  And by the way a few months prior to buying my van I would have never considered one.  My last car was a Mazdaspeed3.

The fact is, most minivans are more focused vehicles than most cars out there today...