Author Topic: 3 months after accident, my ins. co. keeps sending info requests  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Caravowner

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Caravan 2008 (current), others were Olds(3), Dodges(5), Nissan(1), GMC(1), Pontiac(1)
First post - sorry it's a bit long..

Accident was November, after 30-yrs clean driving I was at fault in a minor collision with no injuries (although both vehicles were over 10-years old and written off). My disbursement and re-purchase of a replacement was done in December, but my company keeps sending letters sub-titled "Without Prejudice" asking for more info so they can serve me in the "next step" of processing my claim.. next step? So did I (they) miss something?

This has been wrapped-up for months. I had already spent over 4 hours on phone calls to many agents and adjusters, so what do they want now? I feel harassed, and frankly, a bit suspicious of a fishing motive. The latest one now finishes "please contact as soon as possible, we look forward to assisting you with this matter".

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: 3 months after accident, my ins. co. keeps sending info requests
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:52:07 pm »
have you checked the numbers on the form to be sure it is actually from the right company?

i'd just be calling the numbers on my records for the company and making sure all is done. sounds like you have already done it, but not sure what more you can do.

is your insurance company a big one? if so, there is no excuse for them to not be clear with you... some of these smaller cheaper places might be out to lunch with their claims processes...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »
Unsure of your province, but are you with an insurance broker (not a direct writer like Co-operators)?  Ask the broker or their claims people.

In Ontario, in order to assess fault under DCPD (no-fault) provisions, the third party you hit needs to confirm you were involved in the accident - and likely - that the event as transcribed by their client jibes with yours.

In this way, the person you hit is not penalized for the claim as a Collision or Comprehensive loss as they were not at fault - assuming the correspondence is NOT from your insurer. 

Otherwise, if the correspondence IS from your insurer, call your broker or agent. 

I would suspect if this is now months later, there may be some sort of bodily injury claim being proposed by the party you hit and the insurer is trying to backfill additional information.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:01:49 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 02:01:31 pm »
Whats the name of the company? 

What kind of money have you received and when?

Did you have that "accident forgiveness" BS rider in your policy?

"Without Prejudice"  ... what weasels  :P

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:04:50 pm »
Good Point Thinking One!   Could be the other parties insurance company, hence the "Without Prejudice"

One would think the OP would know the name of their insurance company.  ::)

Call your own ppl asap.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:33:10 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 02:25:27 pm »
Definitely looks like the other party is making a claim on their end (whether it be for their vehicle still, or some other injury/damage claim) and you're being asked to fill in your side of the story. At this point that info should be on file at your insurance company, but my guess is that those dots are not being connected....Call your insurance company and have a conversation with them.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:33:47 pm »
Yeah, just call and ask.

I was involved in a collision in February 2012. Was still dealing with the insurance company's lawyers in April 2015. I assume it's finally wrapped up now, but don't even know that for sure. I'm half expecting another letter or phone call one of these days.  :P

Offline Caravowner

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Caravan 2008 (current), others were Olds(3), Dodges(5), Nissan(1), GMC(1), Pontiac(1)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »
Thank you for all the advice and Wow, great forum!
I hid my Ins. Co. name for concern of forum trolls misconstruing my motive: Wanting to know if I'm legally obliged to call after an issue is settled.

Firm: You may have something there, since the title of the guy writing was Bodily Injury Advisor.

The other car was an old 90's Saturn. The owner was happy since he needed another car anyway. No one was hurt, but the mother maybe wanted to milk this thing like a cow and made her 9-year old (who was running around, skipping and jumping) go to the hospital anyway. Who am I to say?

It was a low speed accident where I was stopped but pulled out too far and he tore off my front bumper. I shouldn't say much more but still, am I legally obliged to call them?  Edit - Yes, it's a big company, not a broker.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:28:05 pm by Caravowner »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:28:00 pm »
I don't understand why you wouldn't just pick up the phone.  ???

Maybe it's a mistake and they'll say "Oh, sorry, we'll quit bugging you."

Or maybe this is still playing out and you need to deal with it.

Offline Caravowner

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »

Maybe I'm just afraid to call since the wording says "they want to help me" when I don't need it. At the same time, this year my 2 boys want to start driving (one 17 and one 18) and I fear what the rate will be... We are a one-income household and doing rather poorly right now.  :(   

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 09:34:35 am »

+1.

Or you could just move.