Author Topic: Tire Review: Goodyear Assurance TripleTred all-season tire  (Read 13532 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Goodyear Assurance TripleTred all-season tire
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:03:16 am »

Goodyear's upgraded TripleTred all-season tire is designed to minimize the trade-offs between durability, wet traction and fuel efficiency, says Grant Yoxon.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Tire Review: Goodyear Assurance TripleTred all-season tire
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:45 am »
I'm still not convinced about these things....Maybe if you lived in Victoria, but it seems to me that for most of us in Canada proper winter tires are still the answer. In my experience most products that try to be universal or multi-purpose end up not being really good at anything.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:47 am »
At least you can say you have been to Akron which is more than most of us can say.

Seriously, when will comparative data be widely published which allows shoppers to
accurately compare fuel efficiency, braking, noise and tread life for different tires?

The EU has been pushing this for several years but Canadians must rely on anecdotal reviews and
blind faith in manufacturers claims when assessing their next tire purchase.

As for the review itself, it read like re- jigged advertising copy, was it written high above Akron in the Goodyear blimp?

At least we all know what "the magic triangle" means now.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:37:16 am »
Hmmm. Seems like it's too focused on being everything - I'm of the old-school opinion that a different set of tires for different conditions works best. I have a winter set and for summers, try to find a combination of water siping, fuel economy and handling...that's the tricky set. So far I hear good things about Michelin, and I have had good experience with Dunlop tires too.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:17 am »
..Wot was the SECRET 2nd tyre in the Comparison...Chinese aftermarkets.........fess UP lad...........or yer review is BOGUS :bang: :light:...........

Go to Tire Rack reviews...mucho better than a boondogle to ASK-RON USA where the rubber mets the roadies..............

tough audience today Grant....we are all "EX_CONNED'S"..... BY ADVERTISING dressed up as fact..... :popo: :cp2: :drive2: :drv2: :think: :stick:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:49:02 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:38:41 am »
..Wot was the SECRET 2nd tyre in the Comparison...Chinese aftermarkets.........fess UP lad...........or yer review is BOGUS :bang: :light:...........

Go to Tire Rack reviews...mucho better than a boondogle to ASK-RON USA where the rubber mets the roadies..............

tough audience today Grant....we are all "EX_CONNED'S"..... BY ADVERTISING dressed up as fact..... :popo: :cp2: :drive2: :drv2: :think: :stick:

Persuasion by advertising is nothing new. If anything, there is some legitimacy forced on today's marketing by the advent of social media and the snowball effect of false advertising.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »
...well...i'd make an exception fer a SHLITZ................... ;D

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:24:31 pm »
I've had the Triple Treads since 2006, very good tire. Excellent in rain and dry weather but I prefer using dedicated winter tires in winter conditions. Nothing replaces a winter tire for winter time.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »
I have great sympathy for the 4 winter tires and 4 all-season tire argument as this is how I've equipped my cars most years.   But the trouble with snow tires is you are running on bare roads most of the time unless it is an exceptional winter.  Snow tires on bare roads are noisy, fuel burning and low performance.

I live in snow country at the top of a hill and have gotten by with all seasons many years.  But they have to be almost new and they can't be Michelin.  As much as I love Michelins in 3 seasons, I've never had one of their all seasons which was decent in snow and two of them took the cake for simply the worst snow performance period.

Toyo 800s did very well for a few years and I'm sure the Goodyears are well ahead of them now so if the driver is moderate and the tread is deep, the Tripletred's might do the trick for a lot of people.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 06:52:42 am »
They are called winter tires for a reason. You don't need snow/ice to use them. The temperature hitting just 7 degrees is when the winter tire and all-season match in grip. Once you go below 7 degrees the winter tire has more grip and stops sooner.

Avoid one collision with a winter tire and they paid themselves off.

Offline yhbae

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 11:23:55 am »
You need a set of tires during winter anyways, and they do wear down, so I don't think having 8 tires instead of 4 cost all that much more in terms of ownership cost. Plus the fact that I tend to change tires right around freezing marks mean I do need good winter tractions from my "summer" tires as well. I wouldn't dare to use summer-only tires during Toronto spring/autumn.

I tried Kumho Ecstasy LX Premium and I was pleased with them in the past - a bit quieter than Michelin Aquatreds. I think for my next set of all seasons, I'll try these out instead...

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »

I agree with Saf, what was the "competitor’s equivalent product"?  This does not read like a proper review of the performance, but rather a review of the technology behind the TripleTred.  Nothing wrong with that but don't put it in the product review section, maybe news would be better?

The information is interesting but its not a proper product review.  I am looking to replace the General Grabber AT2's on the Forester next year, so am looking for actual reviews of possible replacements.  I can get PR info from the manufactures web site.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 10:30:42 pm »
I really have never had a good set of Goodyears.  They either wore out too quickly, or developed problems.  I know some people that have had good luck with them, but personal experience has made me a Michelin fan.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:53:50 pm »
Dedicated winter tires, are of course, the only way to go for most Canadians.

Also, upgrading your tires is an easy and cheap way to upgrade your car.  I put some H-rated performance tires on my wife's Corolla, and while the car is no sports machine, the tires certainly improved the overall feel.

JBH

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 04:53:35 am »
I think Goodyear will continue it's success it's had with first generation TripleTreds into this second generation. It's managed to address some previous issue on the 1st in the 2nd generation. Some of those being tread noise, lowered fuel economy and premature loss of traction with wear. New tread design has taken the "V" shape in the "water zone" and noarrowed the "V" which should reduce tread noise. Changed the rubber compound to assist with lower rolling resistance, which should help with fuel economy issues. The evolving sipes is something I'm unsure of right now, however it does appear they where trying to improve wear traction.
Idealy, I do agree that having a set of tire for 3 seasons and a dedicated set of winter tires for winter is best. That said, there are some folks/circustances this tire is better suited for: There are folks who do little driving, and have 2 sets of tires is impratical. There are those who live in condos or apartments where they have no storage space available to keep other set of tires and although there are some dealers who provide storage at a cost, many don't. Then there's some having to shell out $800.00 - $1000.00 for a 3 season tire and $1000.00 - $1400.00 for a winter set is unattainable, then then is the next best alternative.
As to it's closes rival, I would bet that rival is the "Michelin Hydro Edge" since that is the one the TripleTred is tested against more than any other brand, as well this is 1 tire Goodyear has manged to exceed Michelin in "wet" performance (being that's Michelin's specialty), some might bet it was the "Pirelli P4" since it has similar characteristics as to having a "ice" segement it it's tire. My money's on the Michelin. I do agree this article should have provided some basic information such as tire size, the competing tire in the test to give a better perspective on the product. Canadians do not have many resources to properly research such a key investment as tires and usually have to resort to US publications, which is not always accurate. Even Europeans have better resources.