Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: BMW 3 Series, 2006-2011  (Read 37279 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Used Vehicle Review: BMW 3 Series, 2006-2011
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 12:22:43 pm »
One thing you have to admit - BMWs bring out strong feelings - both positive and negative.

Since I have owned 14 of them, and have the 15th on order, according to GWestbound I must be rich, brave or stupid....since I know I am not rich, and don't think I'm stupid, I must be very brave.

I am not going to respond to all the BMW-hate on here as ppl believe what they want to (even if they have never owned one, and in some cases never even driven one). I love the feel of them, no other make gives me that driving feel.

Carry on, folks.

Well said.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:30 pm »
So if the 323/325 series a fairly reliable, can the run-flats be exchanged with normal performance tires?

Have been considering a 3 series for sometime, not sure which generation to consider, the 2006-2011, or the one before that.  Only considering non-turbocharged models.

Thanks, I considered the review honest and fair.

Yes, I believe the run-flats can be exchanged for regular performance tires (while keeping the same rims), but don't quote me on that. As chrischasescars says, check out the forums to confirm.

Honestly I think it will probably be a wash with which generation you choose to buy used: both are good and i don't think you can go wrong: I  owned a problem-free E46 up until 70k km's but have only driven a few E90's, so other people who own the newer generation will have better perspective. If you're looking for an AWD version, the newer versions of X-drive found on the E90 are supposed to be better. Driving feel is also slightly different between the two generations, enough so that it would probably be worth testing both to see which you prefer - that in itself may be the deciding factor. That said, for my money, even though i'd probably prefer the feel of the older E46, I'd be wary of maintaining an older BMW and i'd lean towards buying one of the newer ones (non-turbo only, as you're smartly considering)

Best of luck in your search.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 12:48:39 pm »
Canadian BMWs didn't have TPMS in the wheels until 2009 maybe even later.  Canadian cars came with ABS monitors that sensed wheel rotation speed and based on that decided whether pressures were low.  So swapping from RF to non RF tires was easy.  RF tires are getting better now but original ones were like driving on bricks.

Another reason why I think more and more makes are going this way is that OEM wheel sizes are getting to the point where not everyone could take off such a heavy wheel/tire on the side of the road.  Some of them are in the 50lb range. 

Offline Leowin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Mazda 3 Leased and Returned / 2007 Infiniti G35X Current
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 02:43:50 pm »
I was in the market looking for a premium used sedan. Checked the usual suspects - all 07 models - 3 series, C class, TL and G35x,  finally yesterday picked up a 07 G35x with premium package. To me, G has the best of the combinations of power, performance, design and value. Loving it in the little time that I have had (yet to read and master all the controls...) hoping that the maintenance will not be too high.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »
Hey Chris,

Maybe this is symptomatic of why BMWs create such heated debates:

"Unless you think fun is stupid or would rather take the bus, it’s next to impossible not to like the 3 Series."

Thanks for judging that for us. You don't even hear that from Porsche fans. Someone like Ovr50, who's been driving them for decades and owns dozens of them, is worth listening to as a fan. I'm not personally; I think their engines are the best by far and on the right type of roads they are great fun. But for normal day to day many other cars are better suited and can get maybe 90% of the fun factor. I don't have a special car in my garage to take out on rare days to look for twisty roads; if I did it would be more exotic than a 3 series. So when it comes to purchase time, I'll pick an allrounder that's a better all rounder, and if I can buck up for a twisty road machine, then that's something else.

Unfortunately the Ultimate Driving Machines suffer from an image problem, which is absolutely not a fault of the car. We do get that image rammed down our throats by car magazines (and how many of you journalists own these things by the way? Should be nearly all of you!), then when I head off down my street I see a cavalcade of them driven by middle aged women going under the speed limit. Of course that has nothing to do with the car, but the contradiction between the marketing hype and the reality on the road is very glaring to many people.

opg210

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 03:33:57 pm »
One thing you have to admit - BMWs bring out strong feelings - both positive and negative.

Since I have owned 14 of them, and have the 15th on order, according to GWestbound I must be rich, brave or stupid....since I know I am not rich, and don't think I'm stupid, I must be very brave.

I am not going to respond to all the BMW-hate on here as ppl believe what they want to (even if they have never owned one, and in some cases never even driven one). I love the feel of them, no other make gives me that driving feel.

Carry on, folks.

Other that GWestbound's and Winterpeg's posts, I don't see as much "BMW-hate" on this thread as you see it.  I do find your temptation to "respond" to it interesting.

It just might be my perception that a natural response from the "BMW-crowd" is to respond to some concrete criticism with the "you just don't get it" line.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »
Didn't we all do this a while ago? I have deja vu.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »
Hey Chris,

Maybe this is symptomatic of why BMWs create such heated debates:

"Unless you think fun is stupid or would rather take the bus, it’s next to impossible not to like the 3 Series."

Thanks for judging that for us. You don't even hear that from Porsche fans. Someone like Ovr50, who's been driving them for decades and owns dozens of them, is worth listening to as a fan. I'm not personally; I think their engines are the best by far and on the right type of roads they are great fun. But for normal day to day many other cars are better suited and can get maybe 90% of the fun factor. I don't have a special car in my garage to take out on rare days to look for twisty roads; if I did it would be more exotic than a 3 series. So when it comes to purchase time, I'll pick an allrounder that's a better all rounder, and if I can buck up for a twisty road machine, then that's something else.

Unfortunately the Ultimate Driving Machines suffer from an image problem, which is absolutely not a fault of the car. We do get that image rammed down our throats by car magazines (and how many of you journalists own these things by the way? Should be nearly all of you!), then when I head off down my street I see a cavalcade of them driven by middle aged women going under the speed limit. Of course that has nothing to do with the car, but the contradiction between the marketing hype and the reality on the road is very glaring to many people.

opg210

Yes, but do you like the 3-series as a car? I didn't think Chris was being judgemental with that sentence - I read it as meaning "it's hard to dislike the 3-series." In other words, it's been a phenomenally popular car, for whatever reason: badge snobbery, performance, whatever it is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:11:31 pm by lebowski »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 04:44:32 pm »
I know someone that just paid $31K for a new 323i.  Sure, it's a base car, but that seems like a lot of sweet RWD machine for the money.  15 years ago that would have been an awesome price...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:10 pm »
Didn't we all do this a while ago? I have deja vu.

I had a deja vu on the deja vu!

Ya...I think the last time was in the Mustang vs. M3 thread...not that I was interested or anything.  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »
I know someone that just paid $31K for a new 323i.  Sure, it's a base car, but that seems like a lot of sweet RWD machine for the money.  15 years ago that would have been an awesome price...

I dunno, $31k buys a pretty nice Genesis or Mustang.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

que

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 05:08:38 pm »
Folks, its pretty simple, you don't buy a 3 series or a BMW that matter for price, its for the feel.  Its the only brand that has maintained the 50/50 weight distribution, manually transmission as an option and RWD.  Yes BMW has adapted to the markets with AWD etc etc, but you can still buy this car in base form, and just on feel alone you will enjoy every drive to and from work.  It is also the only brand that has a in-line 6 in production, most have moved to a V6 for packaging reasons, but BMW stay true to its formula since the 1930s.

Check out my blog, even with a 116i in Germany, I was doing over 220km/hr with very little fuss.  But even here on Canadian roads, on and off ramps can be enjoyed.

check out endrasbmw.com/ultimateblogger/1357MXZ (Vote if you can, I support this brand)

Folks who have not own a BMW, please go drive one, but only if your passionate about driving. If your not, which is usually the norm for most out there, you will buy for price, reliability, and gadgets, this car may not be for you, hence why you still don't have one yet!

I have owned my first BMW since 2006, a used E39, and I would not look at another brand again.  I ended up buying something simple, with RWD, 3 pedals and a inline 6.  Its been very good from a reliability standpoint as well.  Do the maint. , and the car will start every time.

Just my $0.02

Que

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:51 pm »

I dunno, $31k buys a pretty nice Genesis or Mustang.

Four doors?  I'd much rather have the base BMW than any of the FWD "family sedans" Camry/Accord/et al, and that's less than an IS250 or base C-Class.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »
Please do not buy use!!!
Buy new and do a Euro Delivery   ;D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »
Please do not buy use!!!
Buy new and do a Euro Delivery   ;D

Amen to that, but I'll probably save Euro delivery for my my 2016 Porsche Cayman 8)

Offline Burgundy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »
I've had two E90s (non turbo) and IMO there is nothing in the class that offers the same driving feel.  I've owned 13 other cars from different makes in the last 15 yrs.  On average as a brand BMW is not as reliable as Honda for example but take a look at Acura TL boards and you'll quickly see the Auto transmissions STILL fail on those cars around 100k miles fairly often.  But you'll never hear anyone say stay away from a TL.

As far as run flats, I ditched them right away and bought a tire repair kit.  Never had to use it.  By the way Toyota, Honda and Chevy all sell cars with Tire repair kits and no spare tires  ;) It's only a matter of time before they do away with oil disticks too...

Agree 100%. After having owned/driven a lot of nice cars - German, Japanese, and American, the 328i has simply been the best car I've ever owned.  The reliability has been great, it performs beautifully in harsh Albertan winters (with Nokian Haakapelita R's, you have to turn of stability control and really push it to get the rear end to step out), and has a solidity that is at times lacking in other cars in its class. By far the biggest flaw in the package is the runflat tires.  They are simply horrendous in the nail and pothole riddled 'real world', and a tremendous liability when on a road trip far from a BMW dealer.  I hit a pothole and damaged the tire about 300 km's away from the nearest dealer and was truly stranded - no spare tire, and the runflats can only go about 150 kms once damaged. Waiting on the side of the road for 3 hours for a flatbed truck to bring the car back to Edmonton...then a 3 day wait to get the tires in stock....not exactly progress IMO.  Might work well in Europe where the roads are smoother, and stealerships are more numerous, but not in Canada. BTW, independent shops will repair the runflats if the nail puncture is not too close to the sidewall. I've had two repaired last summer.

If you're looking for a 3 series, I'd say stay away from the turbo's, swap the runflats out , and get a full size spare for roadtrips. Good luck!

vdk

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »
Folks, its pretty simple, you don't buy a 3 series or a BMW that matter for price, its for the feel.  Its the only brand that has maintained the 50/50 weight distribution, manually transmission as an option and RWD.  Yes BMW has adapted to the markets with AWD etc etc, but you can still buy this car in base form, and just on feel alone you will enjoy every drive to and from work.  It is also the only brand that has a in-line 6 in production, most have moved to a V6 for packaging reasons, but BMW stay true to its formula since the 1930s.

Check out my blog, even with a 116i in Germany, I was doing over 220km/hr with very little fuss.  But even here on Canadian roads, on and off ramps can be enjoyed.

check out endrasbmw.com/ultimateblogger/1357MXZ (Vote if you can, I support this brand)

Folks who have not own a BMW, please go drive one, but only if your passionate about driving. If your not, which is usually the norm for most out there, you will buy for price, reliability, and gadgets, this car may not be for you, hence why you still don't have one yet!

I have owned my first BMW since 2006, a used E39, and I would not look at another brand again.  I ended up buying something simple, with RWD, 3 pedals and a inline 6.  Its been very good from a reliability standpoint as well.  Do the maint. , and the car will start every time.

Just my $0.02

Que

Fact:
- Volvo among other brands also have I6s in production.

I've driven a 335i for 2 weeks. Fast car and all, definitely has its strong points... but way overhyped. As such it was a bit of a let-down. And "telepathic steering"?.. please I was constantly adjusting on the highway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:13:50 pm by vdk »

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 07:14:51 pm »
An alternate BMW 3 review and run-flat tire info.

See attachments.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:14:43 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 07:21:13 pm »
I didn't go for it.    Run flat tires.  No engine dipstick and imho not as good looking as the E46.   AND the "trade in" was not good as a dark green 330xi with tan leather  was not the black on black or black on silver which sold well and.... I had a manual transmission... a definite nono.

That was a great used Bimmer for somebody!  Rare example.

BMWs have a timer in them.  7 years or 160,000 km and then the sh*t hits the fan and never stops.

And thats on a well cared for unit.  :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:22:54 pm by articsteve »

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 07:34:44 pm »
Que,

i agree with some of your points and admire your enthusiasm but you make the point also that drives me crazy : "If you're passionate about driving you like BMWs." If you don't care for them, you clearly aren't an enthusiast. That is the undercurrent of BMW reporting almost everywhere. (Except Jeremy Clarkson)

I am an enthusiast; I love driving. I love driving small, tactile, responsive, agile cars. There are about 5 other small cars I prefer to drive day in and day out to a 3 series. If you could get the 116i you mention, I might very well love that; I loved their older, simpler smaller cars. I like simple, agile, light BMWs, most nowadays are not like that.

Does a 3 series "out-handle" the competition? What the H does that mean? BMW fans seem to say yes it does, and if you can't understand that, you're not an enthusiast. Sorry but BMW fans don't have a monopoly on the title. That is to me a lot of what the core is about the heated debates.

I don't care if BMW fans consider it the "best handler". I can see why you say that Que, with the even weight distribution and rear drive. As I've mentioned before elsewhere, the 3 best handling, fun cars that I've driven, were an older Honda Prelude, a Lotus Elise, and a Subaru Impreza RS (I had a WRX but it understeered too much among other things to be truly fun on most days). I truly enjoyed driving those (in a very sporting manner) more than the M3 and 325is, my only 3 series experiences to date. Maybe those cars aren't on anyone else's favourites list, but please avoid the "if you're not a BMW fan, you're not a driving fan" line of reasoning. Then we can all just get along...

My 2 cents.