Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Taurus  (Read 7956 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Ford Taurus
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:05:33 am »

In many ways, Ford's 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder renders the larger, 3.5L V6 irrelevant.

Read More...

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Taurus
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:58:02 am »
Ford is really dropped ball here, no 2 door or 5 door versions.....

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:17:54 am »
"The Taurus Ecoboost is rated at 9.2 L/100 km city and 6.2 L/100 km highway while the V6 Taurus is rated at 12.4 city and 8.1 highway. Unfortunately, though, premium gas is recommended for the Ecoboost engine while the V6 runs on regular grade."

Well, if we compare the city ratings they are about 30% higher for the V6. But the natural price difference between regular and premium gas is about 12% according to Stat's Canada Gasoline and fuel oil, average retail prices by urban centre (monthly) Toronto. So miserablae 18 percent better fuel economy for the ...highest priced/lower powered engine? No way, in Europe any vehicle - from Fiat Panda to Mercedes Benz - can be bought with various engine displacement and the main rule is exactly oposite - the smaller engine cars are cheaper! Period.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:34:31 am »
The Taurus Ecoboost is rated at 9.2 L/100 km city and 6.2 L/100 km highway while the V6 Taurus is rated at 12.4 city and 8.1 highway

Did you record any observed fuel economy? Any average?  All in all a good review, makes me think in 3 years, when the leases are due, a 2012 Buick Lacrosse, or a 2013 Ford Taurus.  Not something to replace my Mazda5 with, but maybe the 2002 Nissan Sentra, maybe I won't be putting 100km in driving to Toronto everyday!

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:23 am »
So miserablae 18 percent better fuel economy for the ...highest priced/lower powered engine? No way, in Europe any vehicle - from Fiat Panda to Mercedes Benz - can be bought with various engine displacement and the main rule is exactly oposite - the smaller engine cars are cheaper! Period.

You saved me from having to do the math. The potential for after-warranty turbo and GDI issues, both not quite ready for prime time technologies, should also be factored into a purchase decision.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:35:58 am »
So miserablae 18 percent better fuel economy for the ...highest priced/lower powered engine? No way, in Europe any vehicle - from Fiat Panda to Mercedes Benz - can be bought with various engine displacement and the main rule is exactly oposite - the smaller engine cars are cheaper! Period.

You saved me from having to do the math. The potential for after-warranty turbo and GDI issues, both not quite ready for prime time technologies, should also be factored into a purchase decision.

Agreed with both previous posters. Not a bad car by any means but with all details factored in the new Lexus ES looks like a bargain given its proven 3.5 Toyota engine, luxury appointments, brand cachet, reliability record, dealer experience, resale value, etc.
Similarly priced, one has to be a hardcore Ford fan to pass on the new ES in favour of the Taurus.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 10:18:36 am »

Agreed with both previous posters. Not a bad car by any means but with all details factored in the new Lexus ES looks like a bargain given its proven 3.5 Toyota engine, luxury appointments, brand cachet, reliability record, dealer experience, resale value, etc.
Similarly priced, one has to be a hardcore Ford fan to pass on the new ES in favour of the Taurus.

I agree, which is why I would wait 3 years, to see how the reliability is coming along, and the Taurus would be worth around $20k, which is a bargain, just like the Lacrosse, if reliability holds up (forgetting the myFord touch stuff), the Lexus would be in $30k still, which is why many people don't buy new, especially domestic (depreciation), I love buying low mileage used! So I can't pick the colour, it's a sacrifice!

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:05:37 am »

I agree, which is why I would wait 3 years, to see how the reliability is coming along, and the Taurus would be worth around $20k, which is a bargain, just like the Lacrosse, if reliability holds up (forgetting the myFord touch stuff), the Lexus would be in $30k still, which is why many people don't buy new, especially domestic (depreciation), I love buying low mileage used! So I can't pick the colour, it's a sacrifice!

With ES or TL optioned out the way Taurus as tested, they're 3-4K more. Add another 1K on top of that if the Taurus is equipped with a V6.  That 4-5K difference in price as well as more incentives offered by Ford are what just might sway the buyers.

As the the car itself, I think Ford did a pretty good job on this one.  I personally don't like the centre stack, though.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 11:19:26 am »
   When the Taurus was introduced in the 80s I remember reading reports stating..."wow middle America have we got a car for you"...and it was true and the cars were a significant breakaway in design. They were all FWD then of course but had a very good independent rear wheel suspension design. They also had a beautiful wagon version in both Ford and Mercury. We bought the Mercury Sable wagon and remember that the price was indeed 'middle Americanish' at that time. It prooved to be a very good car and carried my family and I for ten years with only minor problems.
   Well times have changed and for middle America...not for the better. For some in industry sallaries have not improved in actual dollar numbers since the late eighties even and middle classism is dying out. Watch the election bafflegab in the States. So what I think, anyway, is that the price point here is in no-mans land. Too much for the current version of the middle class and not enough for others.
   The car is very nice though within the reservations of the tester and I like the dash and large speedo centered on the stearing wheel...I like that. Not as much of a breakaway as the original 80s model which, was a wow, back then. Perhaps this car should have been called a Galaxy or something and the Fusion would then have been the Taurus but seem to remember from a recent test, that even the price of that car was up there also. It seems to me that coverage of the middle class, such as it is, is more and more in the smaller more sporty and less costly vehicle but these are not family cars. Oh, I am just thinking about how times have changed and realising that my final sallary would not have supported the purchase of one of these and provided sustenance for family and house, at that time and we know how flat it has been.
   What's in a name? Yeah, but it is also a memory of times. A nice car and report. You know me...conservative by nature. The original six in the eighties had 130 HP and that was plenty...even towed the tent trailer regularly. So what we see here is plenty good and probably would choose the six...like to keep it simple and have never even bought high test for anything. Would that this car will sell as many as the one in olden times. We can only hope.

Oops, forgot. The original had a superbe bench seat arrangement with wide divider that became a dual armrest and being a front driver decent flat floor with a very nice column shift lever. Non of the space robbing middle divider to mount the shift lever upon..nonsence.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:39:25 pm by Rupert »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:15 am »
I applaud Ford's ballsy move in introducing a highly engineered 4 cylinder. Maybe I'm old school but I can't see myself opting for a turbo 4 with marginal if any real world fuel economy gains and then having to pay a grand more for it. :think:
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 11:56:35 am »
Over $40k for a Taurus....remember when the Taurus was the car you bought when you couldnt afford an Accord or a Camry......Another thing, this thing is MASSIVE, I was driving beside one the other day, couldnt believe the length or height of the bloody thing.....gonna make a great taxi one day.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Think123

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:05:03 pm »
"The Taurus Ecoboost is rated at 9.2 L/100 km city and 6.2 L/100 km highway while the V6 Taurus is rated at 12.4 city and 8.1 highway. Unfortunately, though, premium gas is recommended for the Ecoboost engine while the V6 runs on regular grade."

Well, if we compare the city ratings they are about 30% higher for the V6. But the natural price difference between regular and premium gas is about 12% according to Stat's Canada Gasoline and fuel oil, average retail prices by urban centre (monthly) Toronto. So miserablae 18 percent better fuel economy for the ...highest priced/lower powered engine? No way, in Europe any vehicle - from Fiat Panda to Mercedes Benz - can be bought with various engine displacement and the main rule is exactly oposite - the smaller engine cars are cheaper! Period.

Premium is recommended, not required as in BMW and Audi's 2.0l engines, so, if you don't want/need the full hp/torque and want to save some $'s, just run regular and it will be fine.  And as for smaller displacement engines being less money versus larger, if I went to build a Euro car and ticked off the box for a normally aspirated 1.6l engine with older technology instead of the optional 1.4l direct injection, turbocharged engine, would I be paying more for the larger engine?  Not likely.  Just like you pay more for diesel engines versus petrol for the same capacity.

This is a great engine and will be in our soon to arrive Escape to complement the 3.5l Ecoboost in our Flex.  This is my fifth turbo from four different manufacturers (Saab, Subaru and Volvo) and I've never had a turbo related issue once.  The technology has been around for so long, it's like saying I'll wait five years to see how the long term reliability is on a starter motor to see if it's a good used buy.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »
Over $40k for a Taurus....remember when the Taurus was the car you bought when you couldnt afford an Accord or a Camry......Another thing, this thing is MASSIVE, I was driving beside one the other day, couldnt believe the length or height of the bloody thing.....gonna make a great taxi one day.

You said it.  It's a much bigger car than Accord or Camry.  Fusion is more close to those two cars in size and price.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 01:08:13 pm »
Good review. The Taurus sounds mostly very good for those needing a larger sedan. Like others have said, the real world fuel numbers on the EcoBoost four are key to the equation. 'IF' the optional engine does give the promised economy it might be worthwhile. Seems like a mistake on Ford's part to have the standard base engine offered with significantly more horsepower, using regular fuel and having more cylinders... So far it seems that the EcoBoost engines don't always deliver the promised (Transport Canada or EPA) numbers.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 01:38:07 pm »

The new Avalon also looks like a very nice package at a reasonable price.

I had a Taurus rental last year. It had the worst brakes of any car I have driven in the last two decades. I hope Ford has addressed this issue.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 02:27:58 pm »

You said it.  It's a much bigger car than Accord or Camry.  Fusion is more close to those two cars in size and price.

I 'm with the boys here......and at almost 4,000 lbs. this porkchop still has to go on a diet. Full size my beehind!!!! can you say GRAND Tourer?
ps Did they improve the lighting at night? Previous blogs stated lousy headlights.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »

The new Avalon also looks like a very nice package at a reasonable price.

I had a Taurus rental last year. It had the worst brakes of any car I have driven in the last two decades. I hope Ford has addressed this issue.

It was a rental!  I rented a fully loaded AWD Fusion 2 years ago, and the brakes seemed fine.  Maybe the brakes needed servicing, best way to find out, test drive a new one.  The 2010 Taurus had better braking distances than the Avalon, which was 700lbs lighter!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1008_2010_ford_taurus_limited_awd_vs_2011_toyota_avalon_limited_vs_2010_hyundai_genesis_3_8/viewall.html?ti=v2

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »
The Taurus is a nice enough car, but it isn't that much roomier inside than the Fusion, weighs a lot more and is significantly more expensive.  If Ford had made the Taurus rear wheel drive and kept the 500 or some other retro name, it would have futher differntated it from the Fusion, and it would have better competed with the likes of the Dodge Charger imo.

Northernridge

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 05:33:37 pm »
Not sure who this car is for...old people? I don't think young professionals want one, too many other good choices for 43k. Families? Nope. I don't think it's a bad car I just don't see where it fits.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 05:36:16 pm »
Not sure who this car is for...old people? I don't think young professionals want one, too many other good choices for 43k. Families? Nope. I don't think it's a bad car I just don't see where it fits.

I've mentioned it here previously, but a guy around the corner from me just traded his G35 for an AWD Taurus. I never saw that coming either.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken