Author Topic: Some People ...  (Read 450869 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Some People ...
« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2016, 06:36:16 am »
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport  0-60 in 9.5 seconds.

That's about the same as a Prius....
Actually, it was more like 7.9 seconds with the 4.0. And rowing the gears & breaking the tires loose on the first 2 shifts was a HELL of a lot more fun than driving a Prius ;)

http://www.top0-60times.com/jeep-0-60-times/

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk
How is it more fun driving on a Hwy like the 401 ?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #321 on: July 22, 2016, 08:49:32 am »

Actually, it was more like 7.9 seconds with the 4.0. And rowing the gears & breaking the tires loose on the first 2 shifts was a HELL of a lot more fun than driving a Prius ;)

It isn't, but that doesn't make it less fun in general.

Loved my XJ 4.0 five-speed but unfortunately somehow made a left turn into it and wrote it off.

Offline petetherocker

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 JGC Overland, 3.6L
« Reply #322 on: July 22, 2016, 10:10:33 am »
My 2001 Limited was great.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2016, 10:18:22 am »
My 2001 Limited was great.

Look how beautiful that is.....your rockers under the rear doors are just stunning sir!!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #324 on: July 22, 2016, 10:22:06 am »
Still love the generation of Cherokee, my mom had a '98 Sport, looked sharp.

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:08 pm »
My grand-parents had an 01' Cherokee. Completely base truck with only the 4.0 HO. AM/FM only and crank windows. They had a Commanche before that and a Liberty after it (what a POS).

I wish I had been older when they traded the Cherokee, I would have bought that no problem. I still have a soft spot for those trucks, but almost all of them around here have rusted away.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #326 on: July 22, 2016, 01:55:15 pm »
TS, just wow.  And as others have noted, good job on keeping it altogether.

I understand the concern with odometer readings on new cars (especially specialty ones). From a salesperson's perspective, would it help if the customer requests a test drive of a used version of a similar vehicle (ex. used STI instead of a new one). Also, are customers open to buying new cars with ~500 kms on the odometer from test drives? Or do they need to be offered discounts?

When SHB was looking for a car, the Subaru dealer said they weren't allowing test drives of the BR-Z because sports car owners were more concerned than others about initial mileage. But they did have a used FR-S that they offered for a test drive instead.

I think that's a good compromise but I'd still want to drive the car I am looking for.  Do customers at that price level really care if there is a couple hundred kms on the vehicle they are looking at.  I know I wouldn't care.  Completely different story if you order the vehicle from factory and when it arrived it had a bunch of kms.

If it any kind of performance vehicle I want to be the only driver.  I would be concerned as to how it had been treated in those first critical kms.  The XT had 4 kms on it when delivered to me, and that is reasonable.  200 kms of what kind of driving?  No thanks.  The manual actually has a break in procedure that specifies that you should only 70% throttle for the first 1,600 kms to allow all those bits to get bedded in properly.

My sale was conditional on driving the ordered vehicle when it arrived, so no issues there.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #327 on: July 22, 2016, 09:25:03 pm »

I have no clue as I've never driven a Prius down the 401, but did MANY trips with my Cherokee & it was just fine, decent gas mileage back in 98 & OK comfort. Plus the darn thing was like a mountain goat & would go anywhere!

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #328 on: July 22, 2016, 10:29:44 pm »
The 3.6L is a nice engine in the newer Jeeps, I am a fan; smooth, powerful, everything it needs to be. That said, I do miss the old 4.0L, mostly for it's character.

My parents had a mid/late 80's Cherokee Wagoneer (like below), it was a total lemon and everything but the 4.0L fell apart, but I loved that thing. I fondly remember that fan noise....didn't matter how cold it was, you'd start it and the fan would engage, full fury, for the first couple minutes....My 4.3L Sonoma does it too...not sure why? Like the rest of them, my parents Jeep rottted out too and they swapped it for a new STS in 95. I would love to find a clean one someday though, the wagoneer trim cherokee's are total unicorns now days.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:52 pm »

Same here:

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2016, 10:41:01 am »
Yup, that's it, but hers was a darker shade of red.  You really don't see these around anymore.  Of course, on the east coast, anything more than 10 years old is rusting to pieces.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #331 on: July 25, 2016, 11:38:57 am »

Same here:

Oh that's awesome.  My mom also had a '98 Cherokee Sport.  Red with the grey interior.  I have fond memories of riding in that thing as a kid.  I also learned to drive in it when I turned 16.  Was the first vehicle I ever drove.  I remember driving (with my mom as a passenger, I only had my G1) in a snowstorm to pick up my brother from cadets.  I convinced her to let me put it in 4x4.  Heaven!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 25, 2016, 11:57:01 am »
We had a '98 Sport with the I6. Felt like everything was falling apart on it except for that motor.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #333 on: July 25, 2016, 12:43:48 pm »
so this mornings was a guy who just "knew" everything, even though he had no clue.

he started off asking about a $45 thousand grand cherokee and complained about the kms... looked at a hyundai and thought our price was too high... looked at an escape but it was too small... looked at a compass, but it couldn't tow enough... looked at a 200, but fuel economy wasn't good enough... looked at a benz c230, but it was too dirty... looked at a soul, but remembered he didn't like the way it drove when he rented one... looked at a c63, but we were asking too much... looked at a 300, but it sat too low... cherokee but had a carproof...

he kept getting pissy if i didn't know the entire history of each car... this was out wandering the lot and i was rifling off the kms, prices, histories, etc. because he kept trying to test me... he eventually landed on a sonata hybrid for some reason...

now, keep in mind, i am the only salesperson in at this time, and there are two other customers waiting...

... he then wanted me to call hyundai to get the warranty info for extended stuff, get the former customers number for him to speak with, bring the car to his tech to look at, print off every review i could find on the 13 hybrid, check into insurance, get him tow info and pricing and more... and of course... discount the car by 2000 when i specifically told him i didn't want to waste his time as i needed within 250 of my asking price on this one.

he started to sense my annoyance and pulled the, "do you not want to sell me a car?... i'm a buyer you know".

i told him, "no. i don't want to sell you car, but i would love it if you would buy one from me. you aren't the kind of guy who i can "sell" anything to, so why don't you go home and do your research and get back to me. you have my number and my price".

he did not like that answer.

so what do you guys think i should have done there? a guy like this, i'm scared to sell an off-make, used korean hybrid to! i mean seriously... he wants to tow a boat with it!

(as an aside, he wants something that sits higher than his old altima, can tow, gets better economy than 7l/100, needs to have a sunroof, is around 15 grand, low kms, and high reliability....... not things that scream hyundai sonata hybrid with 110kms)
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #334 on: July 25, 2016, 12:47:03 pm »
(as an aside, he wants something that sits higher than his old altima, can tow, gets better economy than 7l/100, needs to have a sunroof, is around 15 grand, low kms, and high reliability....... not things that scream hyundai sonata hybrid with 110kms)

Hehehe, that sounds like my requirements for my next vehicle.  Only that specific combination doesn't seem to exist.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2016, 12:48:13 pm »
What you said sounds perfectly reasonable to me....he sounds like an entitled douche that should really do his homework. If he really knew his shiznat, he would not be looking at a car to tow.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #336 on: July 25, 2016, 12:53:23 pm »
so this mornings was a guy who just "knew" everything, even though he had no clue.

he started off asking about a $45 thousand grand cherokee and complained about the kms... looked at a hyundai and thought our price was too high... looked at an escape but it was too small... looked at a compass, but it couldn't tow enough... looked at a 200, but fuel economy wasn't good enough... looked at a benz c230, but it was too dirty... looked at a soul, but remembered he didn't like the way it drove when he rented one... looked at a c63, but we were asking too much... looked at a 300, but it sat too low... cherokee but had a carproof...

he kept getting pissy if i didn't know the entire history of each car... this was out wandering the lot and i was rifling off the kms, prices, histories, etc. because he kept trying to test me... he eventually landed on a sonata hybrid for some reason...

now, keep in mind, i am the only salesperson in at this time, and there are two other customers waiting...

... he then wanted me to call hyundai to get the warranty info for extended stuff, get the former customers number for him to speak with, bring the car to his tech to look at, print off every review i could find on the 13 hybrid, check into insurance, get him tow info and pricing and more... and of course... discount the car by 2000 when i specifically told him i didn't want to waste his time as i needed within 250 of my asking price on this one.

he started to sense my annoyance and pulled the, "do you not want to sell me a car?... i'm a buyer you know".

i told him, "no. i don't want to sell you car, but i would love it if you would buy one from me. you aren't the kind of guy who i can "sell" anything to, so why don't you go home and do your research and get back to me. you have my number and my price".

he did not like that answer.

so what do you guys think i should have done there? a guy like this, i'm scared to sell an off-make, used korean hybrid to! i mean seriously... he wants to tow a boat with it!

He is expecting way too much.

"... he then wanted me to call hyundai to get the warranty info for extended stuff, get the former customers number for him to speak with, bring the car to his tech to look at, print off every review i could find on the 13 hybrid, check into insurance, get him tow info and pricing and more... and of course... discount the car by 2000 when i specifically told him i didn't want to waste his time as i needed within 250 of my asking price on this one."

I wouldn't expect the dealer to get the former customers phone number, or any car reviews, insurance details, tow info.  And I would only have it taken to a 3rd party tech, once a price was negotiated. 

I know it's a small dealership.  How many salesmen?  4?   I would expect 2 salesmen from open to close.  Especially since most dealers are closed Sunday's.  And the summer is the busier season. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #337 on: July 25, 2016, 03:53:21 pm »
this month has been rough....

that guy who stole two trucks obviously is no longer working here... the other new guy resigned last monday... one guy is on his scheduled holiday...

that leaves me and one other sales guy this week. i was supposed to have it off too... my wife is pissed at me... she rented a cottage on lake erie so i'm commuting from there to work each day.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 25, 2016, 04:59:51 pm »
this month has been rough....

that guy who stole two trucks obviously is no longer working here... the other new guy resigned last monday... one guy is on his scheduled holiday...

that leaves me and one other sales guy this week. i was supposed to have it off too... my wife is pissed at me... she rented a cottage on lake erie so i'm commuting from there to work each day.

I must be missing something.

How is anything that happened at work your fault and because of that you should be forced to cancel vacation?  This is perhaps another case of you being too kind. 

Best word I ever learned was "No".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2016, 05:29:23 pm »
oh it's not my fault.... and i should have said no. but there is no one else who can cover... i would prefer to come in than have another douchbag hired because they rush it.