Author Topic: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires  (Read 67831 times)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Re: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »
Libertarian...freaking hippie....are you wearing a dashiki and sandals right now??  ;D

Yep, in -25C Saskatoon right now :D
Actually, TRUE libertarians cover the political spectrum - both liberal (i.e. OK with drug de-criminalization and gay marriage) and conservative (no gov't bailouts for private companies, personal resiliency).    Hippies are in many ways the opposite (i.e. communal living). Unfortunately it's kinda gotten a bad rap from some of the Tea Party crazies who claim to be libertarians, but don't have a clue.   I'll stop now before this gets moved to the politcal thread...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:44 pm »
I was at a Mazda dealer in Edmonton and overheard this lady speaking to the receptionist saying "if people need winters tires, they shouldn't be on the f**king road!"  ::)

I turn off traction control anytime I see snow. But my winter tires kinda suck right now despite still having 7mm of tread left. I need new winter tires. :(

I don't know what the real solution is. If a guy with bald all season tires is going through a green light and gets t-boned by a guy with winter tires running a red light, obviously it's not the first guy's fault. Don't make it mandatory for drivers to have winter tires but allow police to turn people back if they aren't properly equipped, which they already do on BC highways from time to time but maybe take it to the city as well? Although back in 2008 when we had that winter blast, a lot of people parked their cars, with the myriad of hills we have here, those who weren't properly equipped were not going absolutely anywhere.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 12:56:50 pm »
I was at a Mazda dealer in Edmonton and overheard this lady speaking to the receptionist saying "if people need winters tires, they shouldn't be on the f**king road!"  ::)

I turn off traction control anytime I see snow. But my winter tires kinda suck right now despite still having 7mm of tread left. I need new winter tires. :(

I don't know what the real solution is. If a guy with bald all season tires is going through a green light and gets t-boned by a guy with winter tires running a red light, obviously it's not the first guy's fault. Don't make it mandatory for drivers to have winter tires but allow police to turn people back if they aren't properly equipped, which they already do on BC highways from time to time but maybe take it to the city as well? Although back in 2008 when we had that winter blast, a lot of people parked their cars, with the myriad of hills we have here, those who weren't properly equipped were not going absolutely anywhere.

Thats why I think a big education campaign and maybe make snow tires a tax write off. Ive seen so many cars get into stupid situations just because they had all seasons on, its an old mindset, "well my dad never had snow tires on his 1964 Chevy Impala, i dont need them!!". Yeah, he probably used suntan lotion with DDT in it too, would you do that or do you know better??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
Ok, Ill be the whipping boy today, domestics suck, Toyota has made the best cars in the universe bar none, Subaru can do no wrong, everything should come with diesels and winter tires.....did I get everything???  ;D  ;)

[sigh] everything should come with a diesel, manual, awd, wagon body combo AND cost no more than $30,000 (freight is to be waved if assembled in the same country of purchase; if assembled in an adjacent country of purchase freight can be no more than $1,000). Have you learned nothing?  ;) ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 01:12:55 pm »
Ok, Ill be the whipping boy today, domestics suck, Toyota has made the best cars in the universe bar none, Subaru can do no wrong, everything should come with diesels and winter tires.....did I get everything???  ;D  ;)

[sigh] everything should come with a diesel, manual, awd, wagon body combo AND cost no more than $30,000 (freight is to be waved if assembled in the same country of purchase; if assembled in an adjacent country of purchase freight can be no more than $1,000). Have you learned nothing?  ;) ;D

Dammit....how could I forget the all important awd, diesel wagon thats under $30K spiel.....I am dissapoint.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:38 pm »
A new BMW X5 went sideways onto the median in front of me this morning, ending up highsided on the berm. Could see his fancy wheels and summer tires clear as day as I crept by. $70K SUV and the twit can't pop for snows?  Maybe legislation is needed.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 01:17:01 pm »
A new BMW X5 went sideways onto the median in front of me this morning, ending up highsided on the berm. Could see his fancy wheels and summer tires clear as day as I crept by. $70K SUV and the twit can't pop for snows?  Maybe legislation is needed.

A huge issue is the misconception many drivers have that "AWD = I'm good to go in the winter!" It's actually staggering ow many folks I've spoken to who equate winter driving ability purely with traction when accelerating. I like to respond that thanks to its enhanced traction off the line, their AWD CUV on all-season/summer tires will simply be going faster when they inevitably slide it into a solid object.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 01:18:32 pm »

Thats what I mean, theres a soccer mommy up the street that has a Yukon Denali with some huge dubs and some sort of performance radials on them. Like you said, $70k for the truck and you cant spring for some cheap wheels and tires?!?!?! Legislation is needed, either make insurance cheaper for those that have them or maybe a tax break....something to entice people to buy them.

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 01:23:17 pm »

Maybe a higher deductible for at-fault insurance claims in winter when winter tires weren't used?  Or an insurance rate deduction for those that do use them?  I just don't like the idea of FORCING people to buy things, if there's another way to achieve the same objective.  That being said, I am in favour of mandatory stability control on all vehicles (or at least mandatory AVAILABILITY of stability control as an option) on all vehicles, so that sorta refutes my winter tire argument!

I would also be down with the increased premiums for no snow tires......anything to make people seriously consider purchasing them would be great. Libertarian...freaking hippie....are you wearing a dashiki and sandals right now??  ;D

My insurer - Belairdirect - gives a 5% discount for snow tires.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »
After bashing GM and importing diesels, this is the most replayed theme on autos.ca.

+100

Change the record, already!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:42:50 pm by Scarecrow »
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »

A huge issue is the misconception many drivers have that "AWD = I'm good to go in the winter!" It's actually staggering ow many folks I've spoken to who equate winter driving ability purely with traction when accelerating. I like to respond that thanks to its enhanced traction off the line, their AWD CUV on all-season/summer tires will simply be going faster when they inevitably slide it into a solid object.

Very good point Force.  To be fair though, it's not like even the best winter tires are a panacea either.  I've caught myself a couple times this winter driving faster than I should be...a lit bit overconfident with the Blizzaks.  Proper driving habits for the road conditions is still critical, even with winter tires, and I don't think this can be stressed enough.
But of all the equipment aids out there (winter tires, AWD, stability control, ABS, etc.) - no questions, winter tires are by far the most effective.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 01:48:56 pm »
In traffic, I drive very carefully, using my AWD, Blizzaks, etc as a buffer to compensate for morons like this mornings BMW driver.  I had no trouble stopping in time and maneuvering around him.

But, if the road is empty, I tend to boot it!  Hanging the tail out, opposite lock around bends, crashing through drifts, and so on.  On my way home, there is a new road that has barely any traffic, but is four lanes and divided with no level crossings.  The right lane has drifted snow, so of course, I didn't use the left one.  There's also a sweeping right hand bend marked for 60, so of course, I took it at 100, sideways.

The Forester is like a snow-use drift-car.  Get your foot into it, and it can be launched into a steady-state oversteering condition that is wonderfully controlled thanks to the front tires also scratching for traction.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 01:53:47 pm »
In traffic, I drive very carefully, using my AWD, Blizzaks, etc as a buffer to compensate for morons like this mornings BMW driver.  I had no trouble stopping in time and maneuvering around him.

But, if the road is empty, I tend to boot it!  Hanging the tail out, opposite lock around bends, crashing through drifts, and so on.  On my way home, there is a new road that has barely any traffic, but is four lanes and divided with no level crossings.  The right lane has drifted snow, so of course, I didn't use the left one.  There's also a sweeping right hand bend marked for 60, so of course, I took it at 100, sideways.

The Forester is like a snow-use drift-car.  Get your foot into it, and it can be launched into a steady-state oversteering condition that is wonderfully controlled thanks to the front tires also scratching for traction.

If everyone had that kind of vigor towards driving then our roads would be safer....unfortunately for most people, getting sideways is a horrifying, I saw the face of god type of experience that hopefully ends up with the stability control system saving their unskilled asses.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »

FGC's :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »

Theres been a cease fire on them saying that if you lease one you are not a mad scientist that likes to take risks was there not??

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 02:22:12 pm »

Yeah, just legislate. The last few snowfalls have been a mess driving in Edmonton. I'm old enough to remember all the handwringing about making wearing seat belts mandatory, then once it went through you hardly heard a peep.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 02:35:36 pm »
Best definition of a real Libertarian.    An Anarchist on the Gold Standard.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 02:48:15 pm »

Theres been a cease fire on them saying that if you lease one you are not a mad scientist that likes to take risks was there not??

I bought mine  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 02:49:10 pm »

I bought mine  :)

You better believe thats a smite-ing  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 03:04:10 pm »
In the case of the TT-RS, I was  :o :o :o when I looked at the lease rates on Audi's web site.  They've made it so that anyone wanting one either buys it, or pays a stupid amount for leasing.

They DO NOT want them back... ;D