Author Topic: Comparison Test: Luxury Hot Hatches  (Read 41654 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Re: Comparison Test: Luxury Hot Hatches
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2015, 03:47:44 pm »
Bob, don't you have a 3 car garage?

Storage is also cheap, a few grand a year for winter storage, think outside the box.

Not anymore, I live in Oakville now.

So 5 car garage below the servants quarters? ??

Sent from my Galaxy S3

:rofl2:

I'm IN the servant's quarters...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2015, 04:19:04 pm »

Storage is also cheap, a few grand a year for winter storage, think outside the box.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Get me a beer then ...fack ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2015, 04:39:36 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I got the beers, bring the cigars over!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2015, 04:41:50 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Heading into Toronto in a bit, no party tonight  :P

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2015, 04:43:47 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I didn't mean tonight, I got dinner plans too!  :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2015, 04:56:40 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I have the hot tub so.....find some free time when you are not whoring around  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Comparison Test: Luxury Hot Hatches
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2015, 05:00:17 pm »

You moved again?   From Toney Creek to Oakville?
It is better to be this side of the Skyway for commuting I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I have the hot tub so.....find some free time when you are not whoring around  :)

Will do bud!  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: Luxury Hot Hatches
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2015, 05:05:54 pm »

You moved again?   From Toney Creek to Oakville?
It is better to be this side of the Skyway for commuting I guess.

Yep, new job, new house, much smaller.  I'm enjoying the townhouse, much less worry than 3,000sqft.  I'm sure I'll get something larger in time, but I really like where I am right now.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:47 pm »
I looked at the SS, amazing performance for the money.  If they sold it in Canada and the design looked more aggressive (like the UK/AUS V8 sedans) then I would be all over it.
how about the new 2016 Cadillac CTS-V or ATS-V?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
I just can't get on with Caddy's design language. They build nice cars, but for the price I would always prefer something else.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2015, 08:43:37 pm »
I just can't get on with Caddy's design language. They build nice cars, but for the price I would always prefer something else.

Yea...that's sorta been their Achilles heel...as least as it pertains to a couple of their models.  Priced too close to their Euro rivals.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2015, 08:44:26 pm »
They're just too pointy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2015, 08:53:58 pm »
They're just too pointy.

Meh...I'm not opposed to the pointyness.  I don't mind modern, angular stuff.  But yea..I can see how some might not prefer it to other styles out there...especially once price is factored in.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2015, 10:42:54 pm »
That's it. I really like them. Just could never bring myself to buy one. I think I'm ok with the exterior design, even if it is a bit 'old' for my liking, but the interiors seem way behind the competition.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:43 pm »
but the interiors seem way behind the competition.

Yea, that's another gripe that seems to be pretty common knock against Caddies.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2015, 08:58:02 am »
That's it. I really like them. Just could never bring myself to buy one. I think I'm ok with the exterior design, even if it is a bit 'old' for my liking, but the interiors seem way behind the competition.

Well, you ARE a professional dash stroker.

;D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2015, 08:31:40 am »
The Polestar was the big surprise of last autumn's AJAC test fest for me.  I kept hearing my peers go on about how special it was (and kept hearing it sizzle by on the closed testing course) and finally decided to take it for a rip.  I'm not a huge fan of the S60/V60, even with the turbo 6 engine, but my gawd, they got this thing right.  It sounds great and goes like stink. 

The other two were nearly as surprising though.  The Macan was probably the only vehicle at test fest that you could switch on the "Sport" button, rip around the handling course, then drive to the off-road track, switch "Off Road" and drive over the rocks and stumps.  It's amazing how well it does everything it promises to.

But it was the little AMG that I'd have.  A base model at just over $50k with only the AMG performance pkg option on it for something like $2k extra.  The belches and snorts and whopping turbo power, plus just enough interior space for my family of 3 make it a highly desirable machine.  When considering the fun, practicality and brand-snobbery, there's not much else out there for less than $60k that does what the GLA 45 AMG does.  But... maybe I should hold back on my comments.  I've got one for a week's review coming up very soon and maybe my opinion will change.

Interesting comments Jeff and most of the comparos I've read have put the GLA45 last compared to the Macan and SQ5.....goes to show you that things are subjective and why you should buy the car you like not what a reviewer (or forums member) likes.

It's small for the money but that wouldn't bother me.....I can see it being as issue with the NA opinion of larger is better. Heard the lag is pretty brutal too....but used to it from my WRX.

I would also really like to drive the S3 and the M235. If I'm shopping right now and I'm looking at spending that kind of money I'd really think I'd be coming away with the BMW or S3.

I'm finding Kristin hauls the kids or we take the MDX 99.7% of the time and I really don't need the space in the TL. That may change if she goes back to work I suppose.

Fun-wise the 235i would walk away from the GLA45 IMHO, but the GLA is more practical, the trunk is a pretty decent size, and the rear leg/headroom isn't bad either.

if you're going to take it to a track, M235i all the way, but if it's purely for fun on public roads, the GLA sounds and feels more fun - the noises it makes, just endless fun. the M235i is buttoned down and too composed at ordinary speeds, but it has the impeccable BMW balance, that will feel more natural/possibly allow higher limits on track.

Have you driven the M235i with the M Sport exhaust package?  That with the stick shift will make it a more engaging drive on the road too, I suspect.  I'll let you know for sure on Monday when I pick up the GLA 45.   ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2015, 09:09:49 am »
if you're going to take it to a track, M235i all the way, but if it's purely for fun on public roads, the GLA sounds and feels more fun - the noises it makes, just endless fun. the M235i is buttoned down and too composed at ordinary speeds, but it has the impeccable BMW balance, that will feel more natural/possibly allow higher limits on track.

Have you driven the M235i with the M Sport exhaust package?  That with the stick shift will make it a more engaging drive on the road too, I suspect.  I'll let you know for sure on Monday when I pick up the GLA 45.   ;D
[/quote]

I have. The M235i with a stick, the M Sport exhaust and with the TC turned all the way off (loooonnnggg press not just a short press) is awesome, but still more tame than a GLA 45. The exhaust sound is not as awesome either. It's faster, and better in almost every way, but the GLA is way more ragged and the bark from the exhaust turns me on.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2015, 09:12:12 am »

I have. The M235i with a stick, the M Sport exhaust and with the TC turned all the way off (loooonnnggg press not just a short press) is awesome, but still more tame than a GLA 45. The exhaust sound is not as awesome either. It's faster, and better in almost every way, but the GLA is way more ragged and the bark from the exhaust turns me on.
[/quote]

Even the mods can't quote properly!  :rofl2: