Author Topic: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  (Read 349101 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
« Reply #860 on: August 21, 2015, 09:17:09 am »
If it is the blower resistor then you will not have a variable speed for the air flow. It will just blow the same air at all settings. Obviously no air then I would look at the motor (or fuse). Both are easy repairs I recall, just awkward positioning, have done them 2-3 times on Fords and Hondas.

Ron, thanks so much.  I was discussing this with my neighbour a few doors down and he explained that to me.  So I have eliminated the relay, the blower motor resistor.  He says it most likely just needs to be recharged, if coolant is too low, the compressor won't turn on.

When you say the fuse.  Do you mean the relay?  If so, I checked that already.  So on Sunday, we will check the refrigerent level.  And add if necessary.  If thats not it, another common issue on this gen Odyssey is the "AC Stator", so I will see if I can test that.  If not, I will have to take it in. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:28:05 am by Solstice2006 »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #861 on: August 21, 2015, 10:29:29 am »
The rubber AC lines are porous and will eventually allow some of the coolant to leak out - it takes a LONG time now (not like in the old days when you needed a recharge every couple years) but a 13yr old system just might need a top-up.

The system has a few major components and they're not complex - it's just a bit of a process to see what's not working.  First step would be to check pressures.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 21, 2015, 10:37:24 am »
^^ I agree that is the first step.  But I don't have access the van and gauge till Sunday.  So I have reading through the Odyssey forums.  Just got a minor headache after reading a DIY on replacing the compressor.  If it does need one, I will most likely buy the parts online, and have my mechanic do it. 

I am finding it difficult how to troubleshoot if the Stator (or Clutch I think) has failed.  Finding information to replace it, is easier to understand, but to determine if it is the part that needs replacing is tough.  There is a thread that explains how to replace it without the need to vacuum/recharge the compressor.   

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #863 on: August 21, 2015, 11:55:43 am »

Ron, thanks so much.  I was discussing this with my neighbour a few doors down and he explained that to me.  So I have eliminated the relay, the blower motor resistor.  He says it most likely just needs to be recharged, if coolant is too low, the compressor won't turn on.

As mentioned the cooling is a simple, closed system. A quick check of the lines into the compressor, ie one will be hot and the other cold, will help narrow down the actual problem. For example, if that's working then it could be a blender door issue. Older vehicle, it could just be a case of low refrigerant that needs recharging due to minor leakage over time. A mixture of soap and water sprayed on the coil and the refrigerant fittings (most leaks occur here) will determine if you have a more serious leak, ie bubbles will begin forming. I don't think you can get at the evaporator easily but that should be checked too. If the problem is the compressor then that's a few more dollars. :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 29, 2015, 03:04:17 pm »
Finally found a day where my neighbour was available, had access to the van, and no lawns to cut.  Put some refrigerant in ourselves.  Start seeing a bit of smoke.  Discovered a leak in the condensor.  About the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. 

Just ordered an OEM condensor from Rock Auto, after tax, duty, and shipping to my house, $138 CDN. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #865 on: August 31, 2015, 09:53:28 am »
Finally found a day where my neighbour was available, had access to the van, and no lawns to cut.  Put some refrigerant in ourselves.  Start seeing a bit of smoke.  Discovered a leak in the condensor.  About the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. 

Just ordered an OEM condensor from Rock Auto, after tax, duty, and shipping to my house, $138 CDN.

Bingo! Same issue my '03 had. Glad to hear it wasn't the expensive compressor!

I had my condensor done at a radiator shop, but over the years fixed a few things myself - like rebuilding the rear wiper motor.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 31, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »

I had my condensor done at a radiator shop, but over the years fixed a few things myself - like rebuilding the rear wiper motor.

You also had the condensor already done?  Rebuilding a reap wiper motor on a 3 year old van?   Mine still works fine, changed the wiper last year. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:48:18 pm by Solstice2006 »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #867 on: August 31, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »

You also had the condensor already done?  Rebuilding a reap wiper motor on a 3 year old van?   Mine still works fine, changed the wiper last year.

..on my '03, not the 2012!! After 8 years, the van looked great, but the little things started to need too much time, hence the 2012.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 31, 2015, 01:53:10 pm »

I was skimming the paragraphs too fast.  Guess I can't complain.  Van is 10 years now, and the condensor just went.  As soon as that gets fixed, and the passenger sliding door closes properly, I will be happy. 

..on my '03, not the 2012!! After 8 years, the van looked great, but the little things started to need too much time, hence the 2012.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #869 on: September 23, 2015, 03:24:59 pm »
So,I got a call that all the parts are finally here and to bring the ML in next Tuesday. They say they will need it for 2-3 days. Must be quite the sensor!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #870 on: September 23, 2015, 03:58:33 pm »
So,I got a call that all the parts are finally here and to bring the ML in next Tuesday. They say they will need it for 2-3 days. Must be quite the sensor!

Well, look on the bright side.  At least it's a MB diesel vehicle, right Sailor?   :D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
« Reply #871 on: September 23, 2015, 08:07:45 pm »
I just drove a 2009 ML320 bluetec with 127k kms.  Original owner just had 4 injectors replaced because of a hard start condition.  So I drive it and it's fine.  Go to merge onto a road and no power. Floor it and the car barely accelerates.  I guess back to the shop for the original owner.  Scared my dad enough that he wouldn't buy it given the issues this owner has had as of recent.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #872 on: September 23, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »
I just drove a 2009 ML320 bluetec with 127k kms.  Original owner just had 4 injectors replaced because of a hard start condition.  So I drive it and it's fine.  Go to merge onto a road and no power. Floor it and the car barely accelerates.  I guess back to the shop for the original owner.  Scared my dad enough that he wouldn't buy it given the issues this owner has had as of recent.

Crap!  Ugh.  Our old OM606 diesel from 1998 was a horribly unreliable car - glow plugs and injectors.  Some things never change?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #873 on: September 24, 2015, 06:09:49 am »

Mine did that once and it turned out to be a prematurely clogged fuel filter. Alternatively, fuel filter replacement on these is a big job and I'm told some owners put off that service longer than the recommended every 30K

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #874 on: September 24, 2015, 09:34:53 am »

Mine did that once and it turned out to be a prematurely clogged fuel filter. Alternatively, fuel filter replacement on these is a big job and I'm told some owners put off that service longer than the recommended every 30K
Yep.  And when you put off that service, it can cost a lot more down the road in replacement costs for injectors and the fuel pump.

I forgot to mention the glow plug module also was recently replaced in this ML I test drove.  And the issue went away once you keyed off and back on.  It was like it reset itself.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:38:07 am by mixmanmash »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 24, 2015, 09:36:07 am »

Crap!  Ugh.  Our old OM606 diesel from 1998 was a horribly unreliable car - glow plugs and injectors.  Some things never change?
Interestingly enough, my dad's E320 CDI with the OM648 has been very reliable through the 75k kms he has had it now (purchased at 100k kms).

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 25, 2015, 08:55:04 pm »
Went to my Aunt's for supper.  Pulled in the concrete driveway.  As we were leaving, backing up the van, noticed oil drops where we parked!  Uncle wasn't too happy, don't blame him.  Hopefully the baking soda, and bristle brush did the trick.  If not, I will pick up some proper cleaner to help improve it.  Got home, noticed some spots on the asphalt too... WTF?  Looked underneath, the whole bottom of the engine is wet.  Will have to clean it up tomorrow, and see where it's coming from.  Not sure how I am going to do that.  Since the wife works both days, 12 hour shifts, and I have the kids.  Probably just leave it parked.  Let her take the Mazda, and play with it on Monday.  Damn van just had the A/C condenser replaced 3 weeks ago. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 25, 2015, 09:07:23 pm »
My first two guesses are RMS or valve cover.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 25, 2015, 09:58:10 pm »
Happened once with my 2003, and it was a poorly installed drain plug, dealership's fault as it leaked right after an oil change. They came over to clean my pavers!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 26, 2015, 07:03:41 am »
Happened once with my 2003, and it was a poorly installed drain plug, dealership's fault as it leaked right after an oil change. They came over to clean my pavers!

Don't think it's that, as the oil change was done 4 months ago.  I would have noticed sooner.  And it was in for the AC service, they would have noticed it then...