Author Topic: Would you buy a new Colorado/Canyon?  (Read 16651 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
Would you buy a new Colorado/Canyon?
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:19:14 pm »
I just had the use of one of these (a 2016 Canyon V6 SLE 4WD Crew cab long box) for 24 hours and I was very impressed.  The ride and handling was a revelation compared to the previous Colorado/Canyon and previous generation full-size trucks that I have driven and it even got close to the quoted 11.8 litres per 100km combined figure.  It was also a good-looking truck and GM interiors have improved massively in the last few years.  Although they look cool and the utility compared to a sedan is great, the running costs and sheer size of the things for everyday use when it's just me or me and 1 passenger has put me off buying a truck thus far.  I currently have a 2013 Civic EX that I like and was probably going to wait for a low mileage 2014/2015 Civic Si to come along (the price differential for a new one is too big in my opinion for something so similar) but this is probably the first truck that has made me contemplate truck ownership.

My only criticism really is that the gearing and axle ratio is such that it doesn't feel like it has 300hp.  This works for fuel economy but it can feel a bit sluggish, although I discovered if you floor it, it will go as well as you would expect it to!

People often dismiss mid-size trucks (Canyon/Coloroda/Tacoma) in that you can get a full-size truck for similar money but what if you don't want/need a full-size truck?  The Canyon is 6 inches narrower than a Silverado/Sierra and that makes it feel surprisingly more wieldy, although with the longer 6'2" box, it is still the same length as a full-size crew cab with a short box.  I don't tow anyway but the V6 will tow 7000 pounds, so not far off a full-size truck in terms of capability.  A lot of the appeal of a truck for me is the styling, so I want a good-looking truck (attractive wheels and body-coloured trim etc) and a few toys inside without having to make aftermarket mods.  You can get a basic 2WD 4-cylinder manual transmission extended cab work truck for $20600 but how many of those will they actually sell?

I would have to get either the Colorado Z71 or Canyon SLE with All-Terrain Package, which depending on engine, cab style and whether you go for 2WD or 4WD, will cost anything between $33000-$40000.  Yes, for a similar budget, you can get a full-size truck but it will be fairly basic/plain spec rather than the Ram Sport/Silverado LT Z71/Sierra SLE All-Terrain Package spec that I would really want.  The 4 cylinder has 200hp and a 4.1:1 axle ratio, so should be fairly lively for what it is but the V6 upgrade for only $1400 seems like a no-brainer.

I'm less sure about extended vs crew cab and 2WD vs. 4WD.  I want a shorter truck (the one I tested didn't fit in my garage), so would be looking at the extended cab with the 6'2" box or the crew cab with the 5'2" box, which would fit.  The rear jump seats on the extended cab are disappointingly cramped but the longer box is useful.  I rarely carry more than one passenger but would want to be able to fit my kids in (they're only young so would fit) and I would also consider a full-size regular cab truck with a bench seat, as that would also work.  The longer box would probably be more useful more of the time but the ability to do longer journeys in comfort with the crew cab albeit at the expense of box length would also be useful for airport runs with my parents etc.

2WD vs. 4WD is my biggest struggle, as it's such an expensive upgrade ($4000-$6000).  I get on fine with just FWD in the Civic but then RWD with little weight over the rear axle in the truck could mean that it was more of a PITA to drive than the Civic on crappy Manitoban winter roads?  The Z71/All-terrain package does at least come with the automatic locking diff, so I shouldn't get stuck!  Obviously, I would have 4WD ideally but it comes at a price and my budget is relatively tight.

Any thoughts?  Would you buy a "small" truck and would you trade off box length for more passenger space and/or 4WD for 2WD? 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Would you buy a new Colorado/Canyon?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »
The only way you should get a 2wd truck is if a company supplies it to you. Buy a 4x4 crew with a locking rear diff, tow pack and thats it. For the price though, a proper 1/2 ton crew will give tons more interior room and capability.
Lighten up Francis.....

ltruong

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:32:22 pm »
With all the incentive on Half ton these days. I would go half ton( would not fit in garage I know).  I know the Canyon/Colorado is a really nice truck and having a smaller vehicle to drive around is nice  but..!
My old neighbor bought a new F150 last year.  4 doors, V8, Tow package, heated seats (no leather ) for $31,000 all included.  Then I started looking around saw deals like a new Silverado loaded with leather (no Nav but does have a screen).  4 doors, tow package  for like $34,000 before Tax.  I think it was discounted almost $14,000 from the price in listed in the window...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »
Yes - I actually looked into the GMC Canyon before closing on my Explorer.

It lacks some basic equipment - e.g. keyless start - which made it hard to digest at the price point the fully loaded SLT was coming at.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 12:37:25 pm »

Any thoughts?  Would you buy a "small" truck and would you trade off box length for more passenger space and/or 4WD for 2WD?

Personally, yes I would buy a small(er) truck.  I think you hit the nail on the head about the 6" difference in width - it makes a massive difference in drivability (at least in the city).  And the reduced weight of the midsize trucks (~ 4400 lbs, which is 500 - 1000 lbs less than most half-tonnes) is really noticeable when driving.

BUT: there is a tradeoff.  There is definitely less capability (at least compared to V8 full size trucks), pricing is far less competitive, mileage is only marginally better than a full size (unless you go for the 2.8L diesel), and (as mentioned) if you get the 6'2" box with quad cab the length is nearly as long.  I'd take the quad cab with 5' box, and use a hitch-mounted rack for the times I needed extra storage.  (Thought if you haul quads/bikes/sleds you might absolutely need the longer bed).

As for 4WD vs 2WD, I know I belong in the minority - I'd skip 4WD.  It's added weight and complexity, poorer mileage, and far more upfront cost.  And with proper winter tires, driving a RWD truck isn't an issue (even in SK!)  But the resale value of a 2WD vehicle is terrible (which was great when we bought one used... ;D), and 4WD certainly has advantages for some folks.  In the prairies the discussion is probably moot, as I'd be surprised if you could find many RWD trucks on a lot. 

But the midsize truck won't be happening for me any time soon...unless someone builds a midsize truck that can haul 9000+ lbs of gooseneck trailer and horses!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 01:01:21 pm »
I have had both small and large trucks and the small one is a huge gain in the city, never mind the garage. I'd never buy a full size here in Edmonton. The 'burbs' maybe, small town no problem.

I'd never get 2WD again, unless traction control has made things that much better. Pickups have naturally way worse traction than people are used to with FWD cars.

Depends on whether people or cargo is more important whether you go for the box or the extra cab size. As noted for occasional use you can always extend the box without too much trouble, but it gets to be a pain if you have to do it all the time.

You would think the twins would hit the traditional GM discounting soon enough, although that might take Ford and Dodge getting into the market. Doubt Toyota and Honda will budge much.

Going to be interesting too what our sagging dollar does to vehicle pricing.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 01:03:35 pm »

It lacks some basic equipment - e.g. keyless start - which made it hard to digest at the price point the fully loaded SLT was coming at.

Haha yes, the one we tested was the impressively named SLE Nightfall Edition, a $5000 package that gives you side-steps, spray-in box liner, polished exhaust tip, body colour grille, some fancier rims and that's about it!  My wife accompanied me and was berating the fact that a $45000 truck did not have heated seats when the $17000 Civic that we had just gout out of did!  The All Terrain Package covers that base though and is considerably cheaper!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 01:10:35 pm »
Colorado/Canyon is an awesome product, and yeah, I'd own one.  But, my money would be spent on a Tacoma.  "Toyota fanboi with blinders on."

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 01:36:10 pm »
Colorado/Canyon is an awesome product, and yeah, I'd own one.  But, my money would be spent on a Tacoma.  "Toyota fanboi with blinders on."

Yeah.  I do a monthly review for the newspaper, so should be testing the 2016 Tacoma soon.  Yes, I like them but the range is more limited.  The cheapest V6 from what I can see is actually the TRD Sport Double Cab with the manual transmission (I'm good with the manual) but it is a 6'2" box, so too long for my garage!  The cheapest V6 Access cab is the SR5 Auto, which is more than the manual double cab and on paper, the rear seats of the access cab are even more cramped (if that's possible) than in the Canyon/Colorado.  It's a shame they don't do the SR+ trim level with the V6, as that would probably be the one for me if they did!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »
No , sat in one , too small

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 02:12:05 pm »
I do like these small mid-size trucks in a vacuum.  But when push came to shove, I'd have a hard time ignoring the deals I see advertised on well-equipped half tons.    My impression is you can actually get a pretty well optioned one for similar money.   Even if I didn't truly need the size or the V8, I couldn't ignored the value.

For example:

With all the incentive on Half ton these days. I would go half ton( would not fit in garage I know).  I know the Canyon/Colorado is a really nice truck and having a smaller vehicle to drive around is nice  but..!
My old neighbor bought a new F150 last year.  4 doors, V8, Tow package, heated seats (no leather ) for $31,000 all included.  Then I started looking around saw deals like a new Silverado loaded with leather (no Nav but does have a screen).  4 doors, tow package  for like $34,000 before Tax.  I think it was discounted almost $14,000 from the price in listed in the window...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 02:59:09 pm »

Haha yes, the one we tested was the impressively named SLE Nightfall Edition, a $5000 package that gives you side-steps, spray-in box liner, polished exhaust tip, body colour grille, some fancier rims and that's about it!  My wife accompanied me and was berating the fact that a $45000 truck did not have heated seats when the $17000 Civic that we had just gout out of did!  The All Terrain Package covers that base though and is considerably cheaper!

Yep! It's quite sad GMC didn't include a few goodies standard...great small truck, just need better packaging!

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 04:36:32 pm »
^^ This is true and I would do the same thing based ONLY on price. I greatly prefer the packaging of the Col/Can.

OK.  That's true but this phenomenon isn't unique to trucks.  It's also true of SUVs/crossovers.  You can get a V6 7-seat Kia Sorento for the same price as a smaller 4 cylinder Jeep Renegade but some will still buy the Jeep because they want something smaller, don't need 5 seats and buy into the Jeep "image".  A single person/childless couple would probably favour the Jeep but a couple with a family would be mad to buy one over a larger 7-seat vehicle for the same money.  At my local Jeep dealership, most of their new inventory of Jeep Cherokees is $40000+, which to me seems crazy for a compact crossover but people must buy them!

Some people will prefer a smaller, potentially more fuel-efficient truck and why buy something bigger and with a lot more capability than you need.  I imagine the smaller trucks will hold their value better too?  A full-size regular cab, which is the only full-size that I could consider based on length e.g. just the standard V6 (not Ecoboost) 4WD F150 XLT is about the same price as a 4WD V6 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab short box and the F150 is really pushing it on width in my garage.  I also see that the massive rebates on full-size trucks tend to be on the extended and crew rather than regular cab models.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »
I imagine the smaller trucks will hold their value better too?

Funny.  I came here to post that I think the smaller trucks will not hold their value as well as the full size.  For sure anyone looking in the used market will expect the smaller (non-Toyota) trucks to be priced less than a full size.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 04:08:18 am »
I imagine the smaller trucks will hold their value better too?

Funny.  I came here to post that I think the smaller trucks will not hold their value as well as the full size.  For sure anyone looking in the used market will expect the smaller (non-Toyota) trucks to be priced less than a full size.

That may have been true for small domestic trucks (i think that you can pick up a newish Ford Ranger for not much) but have you seen the prices that used Tacomas/Frontiers go for?  It's a struggle to find one here in MB for less than $20k and these are high mileage and can date back to 2005!  For your $20k, you will get a much newer, lower mileage F150 or Ram (although for some reason, Silverados/Sierras always seem to be a bit more expensive spec-for-spec in my experience).  It's early days for the new Colorado/Canyon but it is larger and a much better quality product than its predecessor, so I think it will hold its value well.  Lower volumes must also help residual values too on these small trucks compared to full-size trucks and the fact that they are not being heavily discounted too.  How many people buy a 1 year old full-size truck when they can get $14000 off and 0% finance on a new one?

Isn't it the same with cars?  Smaller cars have traditionally held their value better than larger cars.  For instance, Civic vs. Malibu/Impala/Fusion etc.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 12:14:15 pm »

Resale value on the Tacoma is worth it for many Toyota buyers - this makes up for any features/performance edge that the Colorado/Canyon might have over the Tacoma.   

Offline walt501

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:52:42 pm »
I haven't driven either the Canyon/Colorado or the Tacoma but I have sat in both recently.  The Tacoma has the strangest seating position I've ever encountered in a truck.  The seat height is too low, and that leaves your legs sticking almost straight out in front of you as if you were in some kind of sports car.  The Canyon/Colorado on the other hand is completely comfortable to me.  I'd even be able to live comfortable in the back seat of crew cab models. 

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 07:20:05 pm »
I've recently sold my 5th wheel and am presently contemplating also selling my 2015 F250 4x4 (diesel).  I love driving this truck on the highway, and don't mind driving it in town, as long as I don't have to park it. ;D
Now that I don't tow anything it seems a waste driving something with a huge diesel.
I'm one of those individuals who would rather drive a smaller truck even if they are priced close to the same as a full-sized rig.  I'm not a fan of the current batch of 'small' pickups, but may be interested in the new Honda Ridgeline when it comes out later this year.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:23:40 pm by 84im »
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Online 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 07:22:00 pm »
I've recently sold my 5th wheel and am presently contemplating also selling my 2015 F250 4x4 (diesel).  I love driving this truck on the highway, and don't mind driving it in town, as long as I don't have to park it. ;D
I'm one of those individuals who would rather drive a smaller truck even if they are priced close to the same as a full-sized rig.  I'm not a fan of the current batch of 'small' pickups, but may be interested in the new Honda Ridgeline when it comes out later this year.

More "truck" guys should be more like you.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 07:57:02 pm »
I really like the Ridgeline too - I know quite a few owners and they love them to bits.