Author Topic: Porsche Introduces All-Wheel Drive for new 911  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Porsche Introduces All-Wheel Drive for new 911
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:05:54 am »

Lighter, faster, more agile: the new 911 Carrera 4 features advanced active all-wheel drive for enhanced driving dynamics and safety

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Porsche Introduces All-Wheel Drive for new 911
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:22:57 pm »
I'm impressed, 350hp & Transport Canada highway fuel consumption figures with PDK are 7.1 L/100 km for the Coupé and 7.3 L/100 km for the Cabriolet.
What boggles me is how most cars with half the hp don't seem to manage much better fuel economy than that. Either Transport Canada's figures are skewed or most manufacturers have a lot of work yet to do in regards to minimizing fuel consumption.

If I was in this snack bracket I don't know if I'd go AWD. Have yet to hear a compelling argument to justify the added weight considering that these cars are mostly not driven in the winter months. If you can afford one of these with ease you probably have a winter SUV, RangeRover or the like.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:13:54 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:45:36 pm »
You only need about 30hp or so to cruise at 90km/h.  A Porsche can be quite frugal on the fuel if you maintain a steady pace at a fairly low speed.  It's when you unleash the other 320hp that you're going to suck the gas.

My old 911 turbo could get surprisingly good fuel economy (under 10L/100km) if you drove the car quite carefully.  Keep the boost up and use the power, and I had a few highway trips of over 15L/100km.

Why do SUV's do so poorly in city driving?  Weight.  Hauling 5000 or 6000lbs or more up to speed at every intersection really burns the fuel.  They tend to use more on the highway thanks to large frontal areas, and any slight hill means a lot of weight to push up the grade.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »
I'm impressed, 350hp & Transport Canada highway fuel consumption figures with PDK are 7.1 L/100 km for the Coupé and 7.3 L/100 km for the Cabriolet.
What boggles me is how most cars with half the hp don't seem to manage much better fuel economy than that. Either Transport Canada's figures are skewed or most manufacturers have a lot of work yet to do in regards to minimizing fuel consumption.

If I was in this snack bracket I don't know if I'd go AWD. Have yet to hear a compelling argument to justify the added weight considering that these cars are mostly not driven in the winter months. If you can afford one of these with ease you probably have a winter SUV, RangeRover or the like.
You got smited for using Transport Canada fuel consumption numbers :rofl2:

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:44:36 am »

You got smited for using Transport Canada fuel consumption numbers :rofl2:

Yep I'm with you on that one. I hope that Transport Canada gets more inline with real world fuel economy. Heck I'd even be happy if they just echoed the U.S. fuel economy rating and converted them to L/100, since their more inline with real world rating. Albeit not exact.