Author Topic: 2016 Mustang gets hood vent turn signals, racing stripes, and new trim packages  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
best generation of Mustang yet

I thought the news is supposed to be just the news. 

[/If Ford is taking requests, I’d like them to come out with the Vanilla Ice edition. As a throwback to 1989′s breakout hit, “Ice Ice Baby” (one of the deepest and most important songs since the dawn of timequote]

They are trying to improve the vehicle, and draw more sells.  ^ Pretty sure that won't help...

And I agree with the others, those vent signals look dumb.  Almost as bad as the port holes on Buicks!

It cannot be disputed that this is the best generation of Mustang yet. That's not news, you're absolutely right on with that.

Thanks for your comments!

Yeah, not a huge fan of the vent signals either. Some people will love it. I also really disliked the lightup LED pony that was projected onto the ground from the sideview mirrors as well.

Very funny, very unbiased reporting indeed.  Ford can't even come up with an evolved design, they have to go back to the 60's (like the previous gen) to get their ideas.  Which is fine and all, but it's not huge difference from the previous gen.  Would be really interested to see what the sales are like, across the board with the 4 cylinder, V6, and V8.  But I doubt we will ever get that info.

The projection was 25%, 25% and 50% from what I remember.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
The projection was 25%, 25% and 50% from what I remember.

Ford controls the allocation.  They're pushing the Ecoboost hard.  Only Ecoboost and GTs are eligible for export.

Trader shows the following VERTS.  1 V6,  5  ECOs,  9 V8s.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Ford is demonstrating just how dedicated they are to capturing the lion’s share of the performance market, and if they continue to do what they’ve been doing for the past few years, they’re on track to be on top for a long time

Look, I know you have this complex that a singular legal entity made up of a group of employees should be described in the plural (I disagree wholeheartedly), but at least be consistent.

So what are you suggesting.      It is instead of they are ?   Or Ford  are        I think I would prefer to keep the singular but I admit to being as guilty as anyone else with a mixture like that...language does change.   English has been missing a pronoun or two since inflection went away after the Romans left.
I'm suggesting it should have been "Ford are demonstrating just how dedicated they are" to be consistent, but the legitimate proper grammar would be:
"Ford is demonstrating just how dedicated it is"

I'm mostly posting this to rip on Ronnie for funzies, but I do love me some proper grammar :)

If you're going to be a grammar nazi on a car forum, at least buy a car...

:P

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Nice one Bob!  :D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Every forum needs a language pedant for spelling and grammar.  I am not convinced that NoTo is the ideal candidate although lawyers have to have an excellent grasp of language to function at work. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-13
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Supra TT, RX-7 'Vert V8, and various Pressers
best generation of Mustang yet

I thought the news is supposed to be just the news. 

[/If Ford is taking requests, I’d like them to come out with the Vanilla Ice edition. As a throwback to 1989′s breakout hit, “Ice Ice Baby” (one of the deepest and most important songs since the dawn of timequote]

They are trying to improve the vehicle, and draw more sells.  ^ Pretty sure that won't help...

And I agree with the others, those vent signals look dumb.  Almost as bad as the port holes on Buicks!

It cannot be disputed that this is the best generation of Mustang yet. That's not news, you're absolutely right on with that.

Thanks for your comments!

Yeah, not a huge fan of the vent signals either. Some people will love it. I also really disliked the lightup LED pony that was projected onto the ground from the sideview mirrors as well.

Very funny, very unbiased reporting indeed.  Ford can't even come up with an evolved design, they have to go back to the 60's (like the previous gen) to get their ideas.  Which is fine and all, but it's not huge difference from the previous gen.  Would be really interested to see what the sales are like, across the board with the 4 cylinder, V6, and V8.  But I doubt we will ever get that info.

I don't know how to respond to someone who says there's not a huge difference between the current generation Mustang and the previous generation Mustang. If you're talking about esthetics, I don't know, doesn't really matter as that does not make a car better or worse. You would be the ONLY person on the planet disputing that the current generation Mustang is by far, the best Mustang.... ever.

I don't know about you but going from a solid rear axle to independent rear suspension makes a very big difference. Are you aware of how much that affects a car's handling dynamics? Have you even read a single impression on the new Mustangs?

And as far as your sales figures go, why would you doubt if Ford will release the information? What are you basing ANY of your comments on? Or do you just enjoy trolling?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:29:57 am by ronniefung »
If it shifts, it drifts.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
I just find the Mustang history a little strange.  When the 5th gen came out, it had that old 4.0L V6 all the way to 2011!  Inexcusable for a muscle car.  The Camaro from the 90's the V6 made similar hp!   But hey it still sold great, which is good, then in 2011, they finally decide to add a V6 that makes 300hp (finally competitive with the V6 in the Camaro).  Why not make IRS then?  With the 5th generation already being 6 years old.  Even with the new engines and trims, sales have stayed the same the last 5 years.  So finally the 2015 Mustang gets IRS when the Camaro had it in 2010.  And I am well aware of how much this improves performance, but if its so significant, why wait so long?   

So when I said I don't think this is the best Mustang to date.  It's because of the Ecoboost that rarely produces real world fuel economy that it claims to.  To me, a turbo in a muscle car, is a bad mix.  And as mentioned, the looks are not revolutionary.  Doesn't look too different from the Mustang from 10 years ago.  The lights. the grille, the slope at the back.  Basically if I had a 5th generation, I couldn't see myself selling it, just because the 6th generation has IRS.  Not enough.

If you're talking about esthetics, I don't know, doesn't really matter as that does not make a car better or worse. You would be the ONLY person on the planet disputing that the current generation Mustang is by far, the best Mustang.... ever

That's a load of BS.  Your telling me that esthetics doesn't matter in a car that people buy mostly for looks.  Most people who buy sports cars don't use them to their full potential.  So what's left?  How the car looks! 

And I don't think I troll at all.  Just debate my view and opinions, that have merit. 

You would be the ONLY person on the planet to order a Vanilla Ice Mustang edition! 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Saw the new Mustang in the tin on the road - looks nice.  I like it better than the Camaro looks-wise.  This morning I saw a black one with what I suppose are "red" hood stripes but they sure looked more like a dull disgusting pink.  Looked bad - if that's factory it should be killed.

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-13
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Supra TT, RX-7 'Vert V8, and various Pressers
I just find the Mustang history a little strange.  When the 5th gen came out, it had that old 4.0L V6 all the way to 2011!  Inexcusable for a muscle car.  The Camaro from the 90's the V6 made similar hp!   But hey it still sold great, which is good, then in 2011, they finally decide to add a V6 that makes 300hp (finally competitive with the V6 in the Camaro).  Why not make IRS then?  With the 5th generation already being 6 years old.  Even with the new engines and trims, sales have stayed the same the last 5 years.  So finally the 2015 Mustang gets IRS when the Camaro had it in 2010.  And I am well aware of how much this improves performance, but if its so significant, why wait so long?   

So when I said I don't think this is the best Mustang to date.  It's because of the Ecoboost that rarely produces real world fuel economy that it claims to.  To me, a turbo in a muscle car, is a bad mix.  And as mentioned, the looks are not revolutionary.  Doesn't look too different from the Mustang from 10 years ago.  The lights. the grille, the slope at the back.  Basically if I had a 5th generation, I couldn't see myself selling it, just because the 6th generation has IRS.  Not enough.

If you're talking about esthetics, I don't know, doesn't really matter as that does not make a car better or worse. You would be the ONLY person on the planet disputing that the current generation Mustang is by far, the best Mustang.... ever

That's a load of BS.  Your telling me that esthetics doesn't matter in a car that people buy mostly for looks.  Most people who buy sports cars don't use them to their full potential.  So what's left?  How the car looks! 

And I don't think I troll at all.  Just debate my view and opinions, that have merit. 

You would be the ONLY person on the planet to order a Vanilla Ice Mustang edition!

The Vanilla Ice bit is sarcasm. And humour. You're definitely going to hate my reviews and further articles as I employ a healthy dose of sarcasm and irony in my reviews and features. You should probably just ignore them.

I still don't understand your reasoning about disputing the fact that this generation of Mustang is the best, hands down. You're bringing up everything except the performance of the vehicle. I'll spell it out a little more plainly for you.

The 2015 Mustang GT V8 is by far, the most capable performing Mustang built to date. This is not really up for debate. Specs on paper don't lie and every single person who's had a chance to drive one will agree. I'm not addressing pricing, looks, options or anything else. Performance is what I am referring to.

When I referred to esthetics, I was merely using that to try to help you understand the facts above. This is the best generation of Mustang to DRIVE yet. I'm not talking about sales, or anything else. May I ask how much time you've spent driving the last generation Mustang GT and the current generation Mustang GT?

You said "So finally the 2015 Mustang gets IRS when the Camaro had it in 2010.  And I am well aware of how much this improves performance, but if its so significant, why wait so long?"

My response to this is: If you need to ask why it improves performance, I'd suggest you get some seat time in the cars to find out. It makes a very big difference. And as for why they waited so long, it probably had something to do with Ford wanting to hang on to hte Mustang's drag racing roots. It's  a huge step to transition to IRS. And Ford being highly attuned to customers' wants and needs, have offered the 2015 with special edition live rear axle versions.

You wrote "So when I said I don't think this is the best Mustang to date.  It's because of the Ecoboost that rarely produces real world fuel economy that it claims to.  To me, a turbo in a muscle car, is a bad mix.  And as mentioned, the looks are not revolutionary.  Doesn't look too different from the Mustang from 10 years ago.  The lights. the grille, the slope at the back."

None of what you wrote there relates to performance of the Mustang. None of it. You're making points that say nothing to why you claim the new Mustang isn't the best yet.

Then you wrote "Basically if I had a 5th generation, I couldn't see myself selling it, just because the 6th generation has IRS.  Not enough."

My own brother owns a 2013 Mustang GT with Brembos, .373s, HSD coilovers, R compound Yokohama A006Rs, ECU retune, headers, X-Pipe and exhaust, Cobra seats, rollbar and harnesses, proper race track alignments, etc, etc. and he was unbelievably disappointed with his car after driving a STOCK 2015 GT. His Mustang is currently up for sale at this moment in time.

I've tracked his 2013 GT with all the mods, so when I was on the 2015 Mustang GT launch, I had a very fresh impression of the previous generation Mustang (i've also owned several Fox Body Mustangs). When I say it's the best performing Mustang to date, I know what I'm talking about.

I have no idea what you are basing your points on, other than your opinion of how it looks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:34:55 pm by ronniefung »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I know the IRS is better, by why did it take Ford sooo long??  I didn't mention much about performance, because the on paper stats are about the same (between the previous gen GT, and current gen GT).  I, and most people who own Mustangs, don't track them.  I have had seat time in the previous gen.  And I am sure the current  is better than the previous gen.  But you didn't say, because of the "performance" factor.  I am not impressed with the weight gain (3705lbs) compared to (3650lbs).  And I am sure when I get some seat time in this, the extra 15hp won't even be noticed.   In all the comparisons below, everything is so close. If your brother wants to spend all that extra money for those minute differences, kudos to him.  Most wouldn't.  Just like the author below. 

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/ford-mustang-gt-shootout-2014-vs-2015   

And when I commented on your "best generation of Mustang yet" with, "I thought the news is supposed to be just the news." 

Maybe that was a bit of sarcasm too.  And you should probably ignore  them. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Wasn't there a Mustang with IRS a decade ago? Maybe just an expensive SVT model, but IRS nonetheless. And IIRC, it wasn't exactly a huge success: heavy, expensive, and the 1/4 mile guys still wanted their live axle.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Solstice has a dim view of Fords. Nothing really new there.

The Mustang Cobra had an IRS from 1999-2004. It was a retrofit design, was prone to problems with wheel-hop, was heavy and relatively fragile compared to previous heavy duty Ford rear ends.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
I know the IRS is better, by why did it take Ford sooo long??  I didn't mention much about performance, because the on paper stats are about the same (between the previous gen GT, and current gen GT).  I, and most people who own Mustangs, don't track them.  I have had seat time in the previous gen.  And I am sure the current  is better than the previous gen.  But you didn't say, because of the "performance" factor.  I am not impressed with the weight gain (3705lbs) compared to (3650lbs).  And I am sure when I get some seat time in this, the extra 15hp won't even be noticed.   In all the comparisons below, everything is so close. If your brother wants to spend all that extra money for those minute differences, kudos to him.  Most wouldn't.  Just like the author below. 

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/ford-mustang-gt-shootout-2014-vs-2015   

And when I commented on your "best generation of Mustang yet" with, "I thought the news is supposed to be just the news." 

Maybe that was a bit of sarcasm too.  And you should probably ignore  them.

From your article:

Complicating things, our test Mustang didn’t have the GT Performance Pack, which replaces the Track Pack for 2015, so no summer tires or good rear axle ratio. The comparo isn’t really apples to apples, so take that for what it’s worth.

snip

We did five runs, me in my Mustang and intern/quarter-mile expert Brad Wiley in the 2015. The new Mustang is good -- on a non-prepped surface -- for a quarter-time of 13 seconds flat @ 111.6 mph. My 2014 model could only muster 13.1 @ 110.7 mph. It was a win for the new model and a big one, considering the lack of stickier rubber and the 3.73 rear.

The 2014 had the Track Pack, the 2015 didn't a pretty big omission.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Solstice has a dim view of Fords. Nothing really new there.

The Mustang Cobra had an IRS from 1999-2004. It was a retrofit design, was prone to problems with wheel-hop, was heavy and relatively fragile compared to previous heavy duty Ford rear ends.

I don't generalize car manufacturers.  I like the Fusion, Focus (wish the backseat had more room though), the old Escape.  Not a fan of the sync, etc.  And think Ford and Mazda had a good relationship.  And Ford has always marketed the Mustang better than GM has with the Camaro...

So I don't think that's true SirO.  And yes I like Buicks too!  ;D